Where and what is everyone hunting?

[wink][smile]Is anyone hunting this time of year?

I am new to hunting and in two weeks i am headed to Florida to hunt some wild boar.

Is anyone else traveling to hunt this time of year? or have you found something to hunt locally?

Let's hear about it!!

I was thinking of taking up coyote for the time between the end of upland bird season and the start of fishing season but right now, nothing.

I don't travel to hunt but locally I hunt mostly deer. I've tried turkey but I suck at callin'. I've tried going after phesant / grouse but without a dog it's tough to try and literally kick up a bird. Squirrels are all over.

I'm thinking about going to one of the places where they stock pheasant and have a dog & handler/guide available. Boar hunting sounds interesting, might get off my butt ang go.

Hey Baldasscat any good info on coyotes? i have thought about that and i am interested in the thrill of hunting a hunter. i have read a few articles about it. i need to do some more research and start tracking.

I'm not-so-patiently awaiting turkey season. I'm scouting this weekend in Vermont to at least tide myself over until May. I hunt grouse and woodcock in the fall.

I don't travel to hunt but locally I hunt mostly deer. I've tried turkey but I suck at callin'. I've tried going after phesant / grouse but without a dog it's tough to try and literally kick up a bird. Squirrels are all over.

I'm thinking about going to one of the places where they stock pheasant and have a dog & handler/guide available. Boar hunting sounds interesting, might get off my butt ang go.

i want to try hunting boar too, theres just somthing interesting about shooting one of those mean porkers with my muzzleloader that gets me excited, theres razorbacks in new hampshire but there spread out pretty good.

Ive been blasting squirrels in ct and that season goes till the end of feb. Got 20 this past month with my .17. Good eatin too if you have never tried em.

Grey squirrels? how do you prepare them? I have heard they are good. i am so excited i only have two weeks before i go to Florida for wild boar!!!!!

Coyote's are a great hunt, even harder than deer and there so crazy overpopulated around here. At my work in whitinsville there's without exageration a den with a bunch of dogs every couple hundred yards. Kill them, there dirty mean animals, they've killed all our cats.

Have you seen this thread about Derek's pheasant hunt? If not, you might want to check them out if you are without a dog. Good luck this season.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26706

As for me, I'm just waiting for spring turkey.
I renewed my licenses online awhile back and they're sitting on my table patiently awaiting their respective seasons.
Turkey(Spring or Spring/Fall) I'll hunt some close to home; near nashua(groton/dunstable/tyngsboro.) There's some fields a mile or two in that the birds have been roosting near and when that snow melts I hope they stick around and just jump down.
Deer's the same. I'll go bow or muzzleloader near by my house but far away from other people's homes. There's some good spots out this way that they'll hide out in towards mid season when they've been pressed. I stay away from state parks and such.
Upland I'll go along with anyone who has a dog and who'll have me wherever they go in mass.
I am looking for some duck spots up here. Anybody willing to share? [smile]

Last edited:
pupchow....where are you located? I do a lot of coyote hunting in the Berkshires.

I'm located towards the western end Hampden county. Just been out scouting around mostly, primarily looking for big bird tracks. I've seen where coyote have been, but I've not seen one laying tracks yet. One more week to go...

Coyote Bait

What do you guys use for Coyote Bait and where do you sell the pelts?

Does anybody want to take whole Coyotes?

what is the market rate?

Nothing yet, but I take my hunting safety course next weekend! After that I'll probably start with pheasant, maybe deer? Locally at first, whatever beginner-safe place I can find.

what is the market rate?

I was just talking about this with a buddy of mine who runs a trapline, when the season open up again (Tomorrow is the last day for 'Yotes in Ma., IIRC.) and the bait will be carcasses from the trapline.

As for market rate the best thing to do is fine a a couple of trappers in your area and find out who the buyers are. Pricing varies according to things like market demand, fur condition and the care you put into preparing the pelt.

Last edited:

what is the market rate?

I don't usually use bait. I use calls. You can sell whole coyotes to fur buyers, but the fur is not at prime right now, mostly due to the breeding season. I get about $15 for a coyote if it's in good condition.

Back
Top Bottom