When your LTC-A is usless

I was doing a web search looking for something completely unrelated, and I found a summary of Mass law that I found enlightening:

93. I HAVE A LTC ISSUED FOR ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES. CAN I CARRY MY HANDGUN WITH ME FOR PERSONAL
PROTECTION WHEN I AM DEER HUNTING IN MASSACHUSETTS?
No. Chapter 131§70 prohibits possession of any handgun in any field or wood during the open deer season when deer are
hunted with a shotgun. There is no provision for an exemption such as the phrase “unless otherwise permitted by law” as there
is in §57 of chapter 131.

Does this make sense to anyone? If I have a rifle is it OK to have my handgun? Why? Did the legislature go out of it's way to be stupid?

Here is another one:

92. IF I AM WALKING IN THE WOODS IN THE SPRING WITHOUT A GUN OF ANY KIND, BUT I FORGOT TO TAKE SOME
OLD 00 BUCK SHOTGUN SHELLS OUT OF MY JACKET FROM THE PREVIOUS DEER SEASON, AM I VIOLATING THE
LAW?
Yes. You may not, except during the prescribed open deer season, have in your possession a shotgun shell loaded with rifled
slugs, single ball, buckshot or BB shot anywhere birds or mammals may be found except on a skeet, trap or target range
between sunrise and sunset. See c. 131§66.

This is the first time I've heard that just having a shell is an offense.

walks away shaking my head... [rolleyes]

The anti-deer-jacking laws in MA are absolutely brutal on MA gun owners if you really dig into them. I'll admit that the possession of shotgun shells one was new to me, thanks.

No rifle hunting for deer in Ma.

Unless something's changed.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Since there is no hunting on Sundays in MA, does that mean I can carry my handgun while taking a walk in the woods on a Sunday during shotgun season? I mean, if there's no hunting on Sunday, Sunday is not technically "during the season". [laugh]

Since there is no hunting on Sundays in MA, does that mean I can carry my handgun while taking a walk in the woods on a Sunday during shotgun season? I mean, if there's no hunting on Sunday, Sunday is not technically "during the season". [laugh]

You laugh, but here is that exact question:

84. I KNOW THAT YOU CAN NOT HUNT ON SUNDAYS IN MASSACHUSETTS. CAN I WALK IN THE WOODS ONSUNDAY AND CARRY A GUN?
On Sundays, you are prohibited from carrying a rifle or shotgun anyplace where birds or mammals may be found other than on
land owned or leased by you, or at a target shooting range. This prohibition includes handguns also, except for an exemption
that says “unless otherwise permitted by law.” If your LTC is issued only for target and hunting, you would be prohibited from
carrying in the woods on a Sunday. If the LTC is issued for any lawful purpose (which would automatically include personal
protection), you would be permitted to carry your handgun where birds or mammals are found on a Sunday. See c. 131§57.

Go ahead. Ask me if you can shit in the woods now !!! :p

Here is the link to this doc: http://www.town.boxborough.ma.us/BPD_FID_and_LTC.pdf

Hmm. You are quoting "laws" from a PD that also writes this:

3. IF I AM LAWFULLY CARRYING A CONCEALED FIREARM, AND I AM CONFRONTED BY THE POLICE, WHAT SHOULD
I DO?
If confronted by police for any reason, it is recommended that an armed licensee keep both hands in clear view and inform the
officer that he or she is licensed to carry a firearm and is presently carrying one on his or her person. The licensee should then
take direction from the officer to ensure a safe outcome to the encounter.

I was doing a web search looking for something completely unrelated, and I found a summary of Mass law that I found enlightening:

Does this make sense to anyone? If I have a rifle is it OK to have my handgun? Why? Did the legislature go out of it's way to be stupid?

Here is another one:

This is the first time I've heard that just having a shell is an offense.

walks away shaking my head... [rolleyes]

Where did you find the questions?

Does this make sense to anyone?

Are you seriously trying to make sense out of, or even come close to understanding the MA gun laws?

3. IF I AM LAWFULLY CARRYING A CONCEALED FIREARM, AND I AM CONFRONTED BY THE POLICE, WHAT SHOULD
I DO?
If confronted by police for any reason, it is recommended that an armed licensee keep both hands in clear view and inform the
officer that he or she is licensed to carry a firearm and is presently carrying one on his or her person. The licensee should then
take direction from the officer to ensure a safe outcome to the encounter.
Hmm. You are quoting "laws" from a PD that also writes this:
What the hell else do you expect a police webiste to say? While you might disagree, there's no falsehood in that statement.

It's also a little out of date:
49. HOW LONG IS A LTC GOOD FOR?
It will be good for four years from the date of issue and shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee’s date of birth occurring
not less than three years but not more than four years from the date of issue.

What the hell else do you expect a police webiste to say? While you might disagree, there's no falsehood in that statement.

I would expect that they would word it in a way that is based on actual law. There is no MA law that says I must inform a police officer that I am carrying a handgun if he were to approach me to let me know he just witnessed me toss a cigarette butt on the ground. (or, insert any other scenario where a LEO would "confront" me for anything other than something that relates to a concealed firearm on my person). I do understand that if asked specifically about any type of weapons you may have on your person, you absolutely disclose that you are carrying. But that mostly only works with law-abiding citizens who have an LTC, doesn't it? [wink]

I know you see what I'm getting at so I won't write a novel here. My main point is that just because something is written on the website of one particular MA town's PD page, doesn't necessarily mean it's an actual law.

Last edited:
Are you seriously trying to make sense out of, or even come close to understanding the MA gun laws?

Ahhh - well I was just trying to avoid getting screwed because I didn't know the law.

In any case I was just pointing out what I found - I wasn't trying to point it out as gospel.

It's exhausting, isn't it ninemilshooter? MA firearms laws seem to have been written with the sole purpose of confusing gun owners into unintentionally breaking laws. Read these two Q/A's you cited again and try to figure out the conflicting information.

93. I HAVE A LTC ISSUED FOR ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES. CAN I CARRY MY HANDGUN WITH ME FOR PERSONAL
PROTECTION WHEN I AM DEER HUNTING IN MASSACHUSETTS?
No. Chapter 131§70 prohibits possession of any handgun in any field or wood during the open deer season when deer are
hunted with a shotgun. There is no provision for an exemption such as the phrase “unless otherwise permitted by law” as there
is in §57 of chapter 131.

84. I KNOW THAT YOU CAN NOT HUNT ON SUNDAYS IN MASSACHUSETTS. CAN I WALK IN THE WOODS ONSUNDAY AND CARRY A GUN?
On Sundays, you are prohibited from carrying a rifle or shotgun anyplace where birds or mammals may be found other than on
land owned or leased by you, or at a target shooting range. This prohibition includes handguns also, except for an exemption
that says “unless otherwise permitted by law.” If your LTC is issued only for target and hunting, you would be prohibited from
carrying in the woods on a Sunday. If the LTC is issued for any lawful purpose (which would automatically include personal
protection), you would be permitted to carry your handgun where birds or mammals are found on a Sunday. See c. 131§57.

It's exhausting, isn't it ninemilshooter? MA firearms laws seem to have been written with the sole purpose of confusing gun owners into unintentionally breaking laws.

Agree 100%. Not trying to slam the OP too bad. You guys in MA have it bad enough with all the laws & restrictions. What is even worse is that they are written so that not even a Harvard lawyer could makes sense of them. [rolleyes]

49. HOW LONG IS A LTC GOOD FOR?
It will be good for four years from the date of issue and shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee’s date of birth occurring
not less than three years but not more than four years from the date of issue.

Not only is it out of date, but it totally ignores the lifetime indemnification from an unlawful carry charge unless you've been turned down for a renewal or become a PP.

Yes, you are still in trouble up to your ankles if you are carrying on an expired LTC, however, you're in it feet first. If you carry without even an expired LTC, you're in it ankle deep, head first. (as "expired carry" is a civil penalty, unlicensed carry is criminal)

Back
Top Bottom