When You Carry, What Kind Of Rounds Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To save money, I use rounds I find in the bucket that is kept at my clubs range. I figure that is what other people are shooting, so they must be good!

Wow! That's a great suggestion to save money on good ammo. Thanks! Don't know why I never thought of that myself. It's kind of like the "leave a penny, take a penny" dish for ammo, right? Very generous of our fellow shooters.

BTW, I'm pretty new so don't know all the lingo. What is D.U.D. an acronym for? I'm guessing Donate Unneeded...... something.

He was some kind of rapper or something? Could he have been high at the time? Is he unusually large? Was the shooter drunk/high or an expert marksman?

It's not like Duke Nuke 'Em, where you just keep grinding down the demon's power level while you hunt for power-up packs. There are a lot more variables than caliber. Wasn't the KGB fond of the .22 for assassinations? Or was that just Clancy fancy?

Naw, Fitty is not unusually large. The shooter was Mike Tyson's former bodyguard, not that that means anything, but he didn't miss; Fitty was shot through a car window. 9mm to the legs, hip, arm, face, and chest. Know how long he spent in the hospital?

13 days.

So yeah, shot placement beats volume of fire or caliber, I'd say. And it's the Mossad that uses .22 LR, though KGB might have too.

+1 for the hornady critical duty/critical defence.
Fyi the critical duty is supposedly a little hotter and made to get the most out of a full size barrel (+4.5"?) And the defence rounds optimized for shorter barrels.... or so they claim

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I like ball ammo that way I can get 9 or 10 people with 1 round now that I can only carry 10 rd mags. Its just more practical than those pesky high capacity mags. Be sure to turn your gun sideways so they know you mean business.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I didn't have much luck with Critical Defense, it would jam up in my SR9C.

Which brings up another serious point - TEST the ammo you've got in your carry gun. If you're betting your life on that gun and ammo combination, firing it for the first time in a life or death situation and finding out that it doesn't feed or doesn't cycle your gun properly would suck.

I have range guns that are tweaked, I don't care if they malfunction occasionally. So I lose at a game that I might have been losing anyway.

But the holster/gun/ammo that I carry on my person for self-defense has to work every single time. Because if I ever NEED it, it means that I'm trying to stop someone from killing me or someone I love. That's no time to find out that the ammo I read about on the internet doesn't run in my gun. Or that my gun jams in my holster.

So, I've run 100 rounds of the ammo that I carry for defense through each of the four guns that serve at different times/places as my carry guns, (I've got a G17 and a G43 in each of the two states that I spend time in).

Yeah, 400 rounds of defensive ammo, "burnt" for no other reason than to be absolutely sure that those guns would function.

How much is your life worth? Or your family's?

Which brings up another serious point - TEST the ammo you've got in your carry gun. If you're betting your life on that gun and ammo combination, firing it for the first time in a life or death situation and finding out that it doesn't feed or doesn't cycle your gun properly would suck.

I have range guns that are tweaked, I don't care if they malfunction occasionally. So I lose at a game that I might have been losing anyway.

But the holster/gun/ammo that I carry on my person for self-defense has to work every single time. Because if I ever NEED it, it means that I'm trying to stop someone from killing me or someone I love. That's no time to find out that the ammo I read about on the internet doesn't run in my gun. Or that my gun jams in my holster.

So, I've run 100 rounds of the ammo that I carry for defense through each of the four guns that serve at different times/places as my carry guns, (I've got a G17 and a G43 in each of the two states that I spend time in).

Yeah, 400 rounds of defensive ammo, "burnt" for no other reason than to be absolutely sure that those guns would function.

How much is your life worth? Or your family's?

The only reason I found out was because I had already had the CD in my gun for about a year and bought another box to replenish them. Went to the range to pop off the old ones and lo and behold, jam o matic. Ran the new box through and same thing. Learned an important lesson that day. I ended up ditching the Hornady and ponied up the cash for a couple hundred rounds of Federal HST and Remington Golden Saber just to test before buying them for carry. Went through the testing process again when I got rid of the Ruger and went to Glock.

Last edited:
Shit....I'm no troll man! I'm a member of the Belmont Firearms Range (if they open after that incident), I'm also a lifetime member of the NRA. I came here looking for some guys like me that are into guns, hoping we could discuss guns, that's all.

There's a lot of passion on this forum. Sometimes it's not delivered in nicest of ways to new guys.....as new guys could be 50% considered AG trolls. And god forbid you use the word "clips" in the wrong place (like a lot of older guys do), or even worse...... actually like and shoot the .40 SW round. So welcome....thick skin, and enjoy being bashed A'LA NES style.

I used Buffalo Bore +P hollow points in my .380. Figured it was a close to 9mm as you can get.

I've since sold the 380 and stick with 9mm, 40, or 45 for carry. I'm in the stay away from RIP gimmick camp....use HST, Gold Dot, or Golden Saber. If they will work reliably in your firearm. I will use stout factory ball ammo in a 45 sometimes and feel good about it, no matter what some clown on NES says.

With all due respect, I think the main thing before talking carry ammo is being able to hit what you shoot at....if you can't you should be practicing til you can, or considering other options (different gun, etc) if you can't. There are people here that can and are always willing to try and help you if you are having trouble with that, which is the best part of this forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom