When to renew LTC

Hey all, I've been doing some digging and wasn't able to find anything on when you start the process of renewing your permit. I'm thinking a safe bet it 6 months prior to expiration. Thoughts?

In my experience, you can start whenever you want (or feel you should start the renewal process). I just renewed mine along with with my wife, who's LTC expires in 3 months. Mine doesn't expire until the end of September but I renewed with her since I was already at the station. Since (I assume) you are renewing on the same year it expires, the expiration date remains the same (b-day on sixth year from issue).

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that you may still need to carry your old LTC if you apply and receive your new LTC early - the old LTC does not expire and the new LTC activated when you get your new LTC (I didn't realize that at my first renewal)

Hey all, I've been doing some digging and wasn't able to find anything on when you start the process of renewing your permit. I'm thinking a safe bet it 6 months prior to expiration. Thoughts?

Every town is different and lead times can vary, the best thing to do is contact the local officer in charge of licenses and ask him how much lead time he recommends.

Every town is different and lead times can vary, the best thing to do is contact the local officer in charge of licenses and ask him how much lead time he recommends.

i called the licensing officer in my town in early Feb last year. My license expired in late March. I got a reminder from the state reminding me to renew early.
He told me not to bother until March.
When I told him I got a note from the state said to come in early, he said "who are you going to believe, the state or me?"

Went in 4 weeks before expiration and had it in 3 weeks.

We do it ~5 months prior to expiration, it takes them ~2 months before our interview and then the time from there varies.

It is good for 6 years NOT 5 years and it isn't effective until your birthday when the current one expires. You also get a new PIN. I just put the new one in the safe until a day before our birthday. I would not carry both around with me for months.

Thanks guys, pretty much what I expected. My town luckily isn't too bad and I know the licencing officer, but I figured some leadtime was a good idea.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

i called the licensing officer in my town in early Feb last year. My license expired in late March. I got a reminder from the state reminding me to renew early.
He told me not to bother until March.
When I told him I got a note from the state said to come in early, he said "who are you going to believe, the state or me?"

Went in 4 weeks before expiration and had it in 3 weeks.

3 weeks is good !

It appears the state notice is just a reminder for people to check with their local PD. It's actually a nice gesture.

Back
Top Bottom