• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When to register your AR15

I suspect I'm a few uppers shy of complete rifles.

put an LPK in the lower, put an upper on it, make the sign of the cross (or a star of david if you're jewish) sprinkle some holy water (or sacramental wine) on it...
dry fire it (as long as you use a complete .223 upper that is ok with being dry fired...) call it "a rifle" do the paperwork...

strip that lower, rinse and repeat....

if you want to be REALLY crazy.... take it to the range, fire one round, strip it and don't clean it....

that will PROVE a shot was fired :)

Just to be perfectly clear (or dense as the case may be). Once you make it able to fire a shot and register it on an FA-10 (possibly for the second time if the lower was registered by itself), if you make changes to the rifle (caliber or barrel length) do you need to refile another FA-10? If no, then you could do something like get a .22 conversion kit and still be able to put the rifle back to the pre-the-ban-that-hasn't-happened-yet-if-it-allows-grandfathering configuration, right?

It's the serialized receiver that gets reigstered - what upper is affixed to it is irrelevant. I am not a lawyer.

If someone were to fill out an FA-10 before they completed the AR (to the point it could fire a shot), is that illegal?

And if you build one yourself (say from an 80% lower), you just have to serialize it and file an FA-10 right?

I too would like an answer to that question. I have a stripped lower and was told to register it as a rifle ASAP using anything for a barrel length and cal. if i want to be grandfathered in if a new AWB comes through. I don't want to do anything that would get me in trouble though. Everything I have read says you dont need to but nothing says you can't.

I don't want to do anything that would get me in trouble though. Everything I have read says you dont need to but nothing says you can't.

Can't be gettin in trouble now..... You should just turn in all your evil black rifles now..... For their own good.....

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Forum Runner

I have a stripped lower with an FA-10 completed by the retail seller specifying the manufacturer as "Other," listing the make and model, the caliber as 5.56MM, the barrel length as 00.00, color Black, lg capacity, and serial number listed.

1. What I'm hearing is that I have to go to the Massachusetts Firearms Registration and Transfer System and "Register" it even though it is actually registered, changing only the barrel length.

2. I am also understanding that I can remove the 16" upper from my off-the-shelf Bushmaster, put it on the new lower and call it complete.

Please verify 1 and 2 above?
The system won't kick it back because it is already registered?

I have a stripped lower with an FA-10 completed by the retail seller specifying the manufacturer as "Other," listing the make and model, the caliber as 5.56MM, the barrel length as 00.00, color Black, lg capacity, and serial number listed.

1. What I'm hearing is that I have to go to the Massachusetts Firearms Registration and Transfer System and "Register" it even though it is actually registered, changing only the barrel length.

2. I am also understanding that I can remove the 16" upper from my off-the-shelf Bushmaster, put it on the new lower and call it complete.

Please verify 1 and 2 above?
The system won't kick it back because it is already registered?

From what I've read that fa10 is going to get kicked back as invalid.

Until its able to discharge a round, it's not a rifle.

You need to do #2 and then you can do #1.

From what I've read that fa10 is going to get kicked back as invalid.

I have heard/read the same thing.

How can it be proved that it was or was not ever a complete rifle. If the FA-10 says its a whatever model in 5.56mm with a 16" Barrel black finish, etc. then who is to say otherwise? You could have sold the rest of the parts and just kept the stripped lower. Now what?

Earlier in the thread these points were covered, I think. If the FA-10 for the lower was incomplete, the FA-10 needs to be redone. As I understand it, a barrel length of 0.00 will not stay in the system. Still curious whether someone who decides to register early (before it can fire a shot) a homemade rifle is breaking a law.

Still curious whether someone who decides to register early (before it can fire a shot) a homemade rifle is breaking a law.

Well, it's at least providing false information on an official form, potentially perjury? Sort of like not answering the questions correctly on the LTC Application?

Only if the form says the gun must be completed or has another question that would require a false answer in this situation. The on-line form is pretty simple if I recall correctly.

I see your point, but what if the upper is next to it in the safe, but has never been attached? Say that is the only upper you will ever put on the gun but you register it before attaching the upper? Still false information? It all goes back to how the law exactly reads. i.e. must be registered once it can fire a shot versus can only be registered once it can fire a shot. I am suspecting the former based on the fact they would not anticipate a situation where people might want to do it early (because of a massive run on AR parts).

Silly state of affairs.
If you register it early without having an upper attached, you are breaking the law, falsifying information.
If you don't register it early without the upper attached, but have the upper in the house, you are breaking the law because it will be considered a complete gun if you were raided.

Point taken if you have the upper in the safe. Not sure about the first one unless the law says you can only register it once it can fire. What if the upper is back ordered? It is silly, but also possible reality right now for some people.

Keeping in mind that some stripped lowers get registered, so registering it before it is a "firearm" according to Mass law is apparently OK. If you are truthful about the caliber and barrel length that will be attached, what is false?

Last edited:
Quick question. The barrel length recorded should include any perm. attached muzzle break/comp. correct? ie a 14.5" barrel becomes a 16" when adding a 1.5" comp.

Thanks. I find myself second guessing things I normally do as routine quite a bit lately.

With the threat of confiscation (Diane Feinstein) looming on the horizon, would it be wiser to leave lowers unregistered? This way the only thing that can be confiscated would be a stripped lower.

Can anyone dirct me to the web site where the registration is done? I assume pistol and rifle are registered in the same way.

I tried to register an AR on-line today, but kept getting a message saying "An error occurred while processing your request." I guess I'll have to register it using a paper FA-10.

I have the same situation, bought two lowers in the Delaware group buy here2 years ago and transferred them through FS. Funny thing there must have been some left over garbage on the screen because the model is listed as “sharps 15” which is not correct, there is no model or caliber on lower.
Lowers are still bare
If I try to build a pistol out of it am I screwed since the “riffle” box is checked?
One though on a pistol build is that I have licenses to carry and own property outside of mass, I would leave it out of state and build a pistol, a no ban model. Or I my try to build a mass compliant pistol by whatever mean’s to get the weight below 50oz.

For model, you put what ever the manufacturer put on the lower? So if you have a Fabulous Arms MFG, QT-3.14, 5.56mm That is what goes on the paperwork? As opposed to the more generic AR-15.

Back
Top Bottom