• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When to re-apply for LTC?

je25ff

NES Member
How long before the expiration should one start the re-application process?

Mine is up at the end of December and I think I'll reapply towards the end of summer, August maybe?

A few months before, I would say, but with the new law amending GL ch 140 s. 131 para. (i), the old license remains valid until the new one is issued.

A few months before, I would say, but with the new law amending GL ch 140 s. 131 para. (i), the old license remains valid until the new one is issued.

Does this apply to non residents as well?
Also for a non resident, literally you mail in the renewal as soon as you get the license.

i should have started mine 6 months before, but i forgot. i spoke with a couple shops about the new law, and what would that mean to them as far as purchasing a gun or ammo on an expired license, both shops said they wouldn't sell ammo or guns to people even if they had some sort of proof that the application was in. the new law will hopefully keep you out of jail while carrying/hunting on it, but you still more then likely will not be buying any ammo or guns till the new license comes in.

Last year, I got a postcard mid August suggesting I start the renewal process soon for my LTC that expired in December.

You could call your PD to see how fast they are turning them around. It took me 4 months to get mine last time. I wouldn't wait to get any closer than 4 months out. One time I renewed and it was a bit late so the LEO told me to just not carry until it came in. Seems that is not an issue now with the new laws. Still I wouldn't get any closer than 4 months.

4 months, you can never be too early :)

Last renewal I handed everything in in October, interview in December, expiration in February. That's my comfort level.

Does this apply to non residents as well?
Also for a non resident, literally you mail in the renewal as soon as you get the license.

Sadly no, no grace period at all for NRs.

i should have started mine 6 months before, but i forgot. i spoke with a couple shops about the new law, and what would that mean to them as far as purchasing a gun or ammo on an expired license, both shops said they wouldn't sell ammo or guns to people even if they had some sort of proof that the application was in. the new law will hopefully keep you out of jail while carrying/hunting on it, but you still more then likely will not be buying any ammo or guns till the new license comes in.

I would expect most dealers to refuse sales in MA, they are so brow-beaten that they would look at it as "taking a chance" of getting jammed up and just won't do it. Since there is no way to verify wrt ammo sales, those will fail in 90% of the cases would be my bet. If FRB does the right thing, Dealer and eFA-10s should proceed, which would be proof of valid status, but I would still expect 60% of dealers to refuse.

In June 2013, I got a notice that I should renew no later than six months prior to my license expiring (Feb 2014). I submitted my renewal in August, had my "interview" in early September and was told my license would be mailed to me and I'd have it in 12 weeks. Eleven weeks and two days later, I had my new license. I'm not sure how backlogged they still are, or if you're in one of the towns that sits on license applications for a few months before doing anything with them, but you should probably renew somewhere between four and six months before it expires. The new one will go into effect on the expiration date of the old one.

When I went to my interview in Dec. in Chelsea I asked about time for renewal and was told 90 days, he also said give him a call if there was a problem.

It may be valid but buying a firearm/ammo while in the gray area might be a problem

There will be no "gray area".

This should not be a problem to buy, if you have the receipt given to you that shows when you submitted your renewal app.

The new law says "the license shall remain valid after its expiration date for all lawful purposes until the application for renewal is approved or denied."
Buying a firearm of course is a lawful purpose with your license, no?.

There will be no "gray area".

This should not be a problem to buy, if you have the receipt given to you that shows when you submitted your renewal app.

The new law says "the license shall remain valid after its expiration date for all lawful purposes until the application for renewal is approved or denied."
Buying a firearm of course is a lawful purpose with your license, no?.

I agree with you about the law, BUT . . .

Go to WalMart and try to buy ammo on an expired LTC with the receipt and let us know how it works for you.

I bet they turn you away!

Do the same at Dick's and I'll bet you'll have the same result.

I just renewed my license. I went in at the end of January (my license expired the first week of February). After the brief sit down with the lieutenant and a quick picture update, He gave me a print out that proves my LTC is in renewal. He said that would extend the life of my LTC until the new one came in. I got a call February 27th that my new LTC was in. The whole process was much smoother than when I went for my original LTC.

A lot would depend on the town, I'd think.

My old license expired last September. My wife was submitting her LTC app, so I put in for my renewal on the same day, April 1st.

We both got them within a month. My new one was set to start on my birthday in September, so I kept using the old one for purchases from late April to September.

You could call your PD to see how fast they are turning them around. It took me 4 months to get mine last time. I wouldn't wait to get any closer than 4 months out. One time I renewed and it was a bit late so the LEO told me to just not carry until it came in. Seems that is not an issue now with the new laws. Still I wouldn't get any closer than 4 months.

I just got my new license beginning of February. I started calling my local PD around 6 months out and they kept telling me to call back in a month. At 90 days or whatever I got the reminder notice from the state. When it got to be about 2 months out I called and they said the whole renewal process beginning to end was running around 6 weeks, so I should call back in a week and schedule an appointment to come in. The interview was around 6 weeks before my birthday and the new license was ready to be picked up a few days before the old one expired.

YMMV.

I went to the pd 8 weeks before my birthday. I said I got a post card from the state to start early.
Response I got was "who are you going to believe, me or the state." Come back 4 weeks before your birthday.

I did and was told, give them 4 weeks.
We will see.

Im sure this question has been answered, but with the new law allowing the continuation of the license past renewal (until re-issue), can you purchase firearms and ammo beyond the expiration date as you wait?

Back
Top Bottom