• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When To Draw If Encountered With "Everbody Put Your Hands Up This Is A Robbery" situation?

If the good doctor had a sidearm he would have had at least some sort of chance. But even the fastest draw might prove too late.

It was a she, and she never had a chance. Her patient attacked her in a rage.

She survived, though, thanks to the good guy.

Last edited:
I am wondering how so many here on NES get through the average day wondering when operator mode should be put in place. Must be a very stressful life.

Hypothetical questions are always to complicated to give a simple answer to. To many variables are always left out.
1. Protect self and family first and try to get out! The liberal sheep had a chance to get an LTC and carry a gun just as much as you did. You are under no obligation to be their hero.
2. If presented with the same situation as the off duty CO was in Bertucci's in Taunton, I would have wasted the guy too. To bad the CO couldn't waste the nut before he plunged a steak knife into the poor customers head / temple in front of his wife.

On the one hand,
I've always loved the slick bit of misdirection
where he scratches at the adobe while unholstering.
giphy.gif

On the other hand...
Or, what if you are armed in a restaurant or major Boston hospital and someone starts stabbing an innocent, and you have a chance to save that persons life?
There's always the Nope Badger approach.

It was a she, and she never had a chance. Her patient attacked her in a rage.

She survived, though, thanks to the good guy.
I’m talking about the cardiologist at BWH but I should have specified that.

Pre-emptively keep your gun in hand. That is the best way. Especially in a bank. (SARC)

Read Escape the Wolf.

Now stop being silly. That's just ridiculous.

What you do is duct-tape a gun to your upper spine a la John McLean in the original Die Hard. Hands are up. Grab the gun. Blow Hans and his dirtbag, a-hole, restaurant-guest-bothering friends away with well-placed headshots.

Make sure your wife isn't wearing her new watch, tho.

... "What if those two want to rob the place? When would we draw?"

This was the specific situation/layout etc, and I actually was curious as to what everyone here thinks...We were in a "back" room, off of the "main" restaurant area.

...The "fire"/"emergency" exit was around another corner, past the restrooms, probably impossible to get to during a fire/emergency/robbery...

So my "kid" (she's 23 now, some of you know her and I from the range and clubs, etc) whispers "Dad, those two" and I look toward the bar and there's indeed two "punk" types who had wandered in from the road and were already bothering people, being arseholes etc. They "didn't look right". looked like they were "jacked up" on something (everything?) and it was making people uncomfortable indeed.

If we were in Texas or Kentucky (etc) the owner/bartender/patrons etc would have probably "shown the two young gentlemen to the door", but here in MA they have the "right" to harass Liberals etc without fear of any "retribution" etc. The way they were carrying themselves would have earned them "Get the f*ck out of here and never come back" in many states, but, again, ...

Its just that these two brought the subject to mind with my kid AND my wife who is also LTC, who as mentioned ALWAYS thinks about fire exits, "cover" if some wingnut starts randomly stabbing people (Bertucci's, South Shore a couple years ago), etc etc...

1. This is a sensitive subject here, as we had a good friend who died in the RI club fire.
2. Things are not always as they seem; don't judge a book by its cover. Even if it IS as it seems, no need to jump in until it is time to jump in.
3. "I've gotten kicked out of better places than this." Yes, I got kicked out of the Red Lion in Stockbridge. Me and a bunch of friends were coming back from races at Limerock, and stopped in for a beer. We all were seated on the porch, when the waiter came up and said we had to leave, because we had shirts without collars. I kid you not. Most of us were in tank tops, but a few t-shirts also.
4. See: o'connor's restaurant stabbing - Google Search

Or, what if you are armed in a restaurant or major Boston hospital and someone starts stabbing an innocent, and you have a chance to save that persons life? Each scenario has played on in MA with an appropriate IM or PB PRN.
Interesting point your being up.

At the LTC class here in NC, teacher brought up a situation that actually occurred similar to the incidents you mentioned.

Guy pulls into a Walmart. Gets out of car and heads to store. Sees a giant dude on top of a tiny female. He’s swinging his fists. There is blood all over her, him and the ground around them.

Guy pulls his piece and kills giant dude.

Turns out, the blood came from him. Crazy tiny woman had attacked him with a knife in the parking lot and had slashed his arms and abdomen. He was not hitting her, he was trying to get the knife.

Guy is now in jail for life.

After I heard that, it’s pretty fixed in my mind that I’m not getting involved unless I know the people, friends family etc. for people I don’t know? I don’t care how much screaming or blood there is. Not getting involved. You never can be SURE what is happening.

As to the OP, hypotheticals are always tough. Until me or mine are threatened, whatever. But be making plans.

At the LTC class here in NC, teacher brought up a situation that actually occurred similar to the incidents you mentioned.

Guy pulls into a Walmart. Gets out of car and heads to store. Sees a giant dude on top of a tiny female. He’s swinging his fists. There is blood all over her, him and the ground around them.

Turns out, the blood came from him. Crazy tiny woman had attacked him with a knife in the parking lot and had slashed his arms and abdomen. He was not hitting her, he was trying to get the knife.

After I heard that, it’s pretty fixed in my mind that I’m not getting involved unless I know the people, friends family etc. for people I don’t know? I don’t care how much screaming or blood there is. Not getting involved. You never can be SURE what is happening.

As to the OP, hypotheticals are always tough. Until me or mine are threatened, whatever. But be making plans.

The late Cross-X here (RIP Darius) relayed a courthouse lobby assault he witnessed like this. Huge guy and small lady were fighting- it looked like the lady was being attacked- but as it turned out she had a boxcutter thing in her hand and was trying to stab him in the chest with it! Nobody got shot but it would have ended poorly for any non LE that tried to stop the guy with a firearm.

-Mike

The late Cross-X here (RIP Darius) relayed a courthouse lobby assault he witnessed like this. Huge guy and small lady were fighting- it looked like the lady was being attacked- but as it turned out she had a boxcutter thing in her hand and was trying to stab him in the chest with it! Nobody got shot but it would have ended poorly for any non LE that tried to stop the guy with a firearm.

-Mike

I was involved in a situation when I was right out of college, in this case the guy WAS beating on his girlfriend. It was outside at a New Year’s Eve house party. I grab the guy’s shoulder from behind, he spins around and cold cocks me in the nose (my bad for how I approached it). I went off on him, pounding him, next thing I know I’m on the ground w a few of his friends kicking me. My friends come out and there’s a general melee. Once everyone is separated the girlfriend says they were having an argument but he didn’t hit her so I look like a real a**h*** until we go inside and everyone can see her black eye and huge welt on her face. Definitely will think twice about inserting myself in that type of situation again.

I was involved in a situation when I was right out of college, in this case the guy WAS beating on his girlfriend. It was outside at a New Year’s Eve house party. I grab the guy’s shoulder from behind, he spins around and cold cocks me in the nose (my bad for how I approached it). I went off on him, pounding him, next thing I know I’m on the ground w a few of his friends kicking me. My friends come out and there’s a general melee. Once everyone is separated the girlfriend says they were having an argument but he didn’t hit her so I look like a real a**h*** until we go inside and everyone can see her black eye and huge welt on her face. Definitely will think twice about inserting myself in that type of situation again.

The scariest shit LEOs have ever told me about were domestics, sometimes a broad would call the cops about a violent boyfriend/husband and before they left she'd be a combatant against them, too!

-Mike

Or, what if you are armed in a restaurant or major Boston hospital and someone starts stabbing an innocent, and you have a chance to save that persons life? Each scenario has played on in MA with an appropriate IM or PB PRN.
Wasnt there a case (maybe here in MA) of a guy that saw a man stabbing a nurse, he shot the guy attacking the nurse and ended up in jail or a long trial?

I am sure someone has the details on that. I dont remember if he went to jail or just a really long trial.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom