• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When they just call to you.... Arisaka type 99

mac1911

NES Member
So stopped in at a local FFL (south shore tactical) while back to check out recent inventory (has a few recent estates ) there was a type 99 that just nagged at me. Bayonet and sling attached and the bolt matched. Sadly the mum is heavily ground. That said its in nice shape and about as original as i have come by. No screws are butchered and it has staking marks all lined up with each screw. Has mono pod and air craft sights, long cleaning rod and chromed bolt face and barrel. I like the type 99s and was drawn to this one.
Bayonet is in nice shape, as far as i can tell was not used much if at all. No dings or sharpened edge.
Over all just a nice type 99 that has most likely spent its life in a closet as a legit bring back.
Pictures to follow. Its a low 4 digit serial number. So far any part numbered matches. Loading up some light gallery loads to give it a test run.
Also add a shout out to Bill at SST. Has some decent wellrounded selection and a good amount of sks rifles.

Updates: more to come

The bore as it is. This thing is in pretty good shape and looks like it just sat in a closet for the past 75 yrs or so.

View: https://youtu.be/mRuAKpVGREo

so if anyone is good at knowing the marks and or translating the worn Japanese lettering please chime in
AspduIm.jpg

AK4yshkl.jpg

pCadsOWl.jpg

JcaH1Hel.jpg

OFGGOC9l.jpg

TYKIGSnl.jpg

9zYtS8Cl.jpg

4La9BYe.jpg

QtlX1ECl.jpg

The bore after some oil and a bore snake wipe. little corrosion in there but not bad. Its the best one for me so far.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JECyV4IN0MI

my other 99 bores
some cheap bore scope fun, mosin and M1, type 99 and more

snuck out for a quick function test
top group is some left over cast loads from past trials..
Bottom group is some .310 RNSP 180 grain over Trailboss...I keep hoping trail boss shows up with some decent accuracy 3 moa ish would be good. just not found the cartridge or rifle combo that Trailboss does well in.
Wa9f9h2.jpg

Last edited:
years ago a local shop had one on consignment in beautiful condition. mum, aircraft rear sight, wire mono pod, cleaning rod...hell, it still had the dust cover installed. wood stock in super shape for being 60+ years old. fondled it every time i went in but never put up the cash. i've always wanted one since but that was my gold standard. never saw one as nice as that again. i think the tagged price was $110 at the time...~25 years ago.

I just grabbed an early arisaka T99 just recently as well! Good mum and all but the most attractive part for me was that it’s from the Nagoya arsenal, which is my home town. If you get to reloading for it, I hope you post some updates. Congrats on your purchase!

I'm still working up a load for my Type 99. FYI, I tried some lighter loads in it and I got a bunch of gas blowback in the face...not fun. I've had to work up my loads a bit (2-3 grains if memory serves me) to even start getting the brass to seal correctly. Working up some more 7.7 Jap loads is on my reloading to-do list....

I'm still working up a load for my Type 99. FYI, I tried some lighter loads in it and I got a bunch of gas blowback in the face...not fun. I've had to work up my loads a bit (2-3 grains if memory serves me) to even start getting the brass to seal correctly. Working up some more 7.7 Jap loads is on my reloading to-do list....

I had good luck with 41.6 gr of H4895 and Hornady 150gr sp.

So stopped in at a local FFL (south shore tactical) while back to check out recent inventory (has a few recent estates ) there was a type 99 that just nagged at me. Bayonet and sling attached and the bolt matched. Sadly the mum is heavily ground. That said its in nice shape and about as original as i have come by. No screws are butchered and it has staking marks all lined up with each screw. Has mono pod and air craft sights, long cleaning rod and chromed bolt face and barrel. I like the type 99s and was drawn to this one.
Bayonet is in nice shape, as far as i can tell was not used much if at all. No dings or sharpened edge.
Over all just a nice type 99 that has most likely spent its life in a closet as a legit bring back.
Pictures to follow. Its a low 4 digit serial number. So far any part numbered matches. Loading up some light gallery loads to give it a test run.
Also add a shout out to Bill at SST. Has some decent wellrounded selection and a good amount of sks rifles.

Udates: more to come

The bore as it is. This thing is in pretty good shape and looks like it just sat in a closet for the past 75 yrs or so.

View: https://youtu.be/mRuAKpVGREo

42gr Varget behind Nosler 124gr .310's work extremely well for me in my 7.7 Jap.

I necked down 30-06 PPU and used a pipe cutter to get a rough size and then trimmed down with my drill trimmer.

Fun project, but a LOT of work when the brass can be bought for relatively cheap now.

I just grabbed an early arisaka T99 just recently as well! Good mum and all but the most attractive part for me was that it’s from the Nagoya arsenal, which is my home town. If you get to reloading for it, I hope you post some updates. Congrats on your purchase!
I reload for my t-99s mostly light cast loads. I did pick up a box of 180gn round soft points to use also. I generally run trailboss for 50 yd plinking and reduced loads using H4895

I had good luck with 41.6 gr of H4895 and Hornady 150gr sp.

I want to say I was working with 42gr of IMR4895 with the Hornady 150gr bullets the last time I took it out. I was mostly looking for the powder charge where I started to get the brass to seal properly. I'll have to get back out and do some accuracy testing

Due to the massive cut back in my collection, there is no more rhyme or reason to what I have. I have kept the pieces that I like...and I’d like to have another Arisaka again.

Full pics?

t

Awesome. The Arisaka has been the next milsurp on my list for a while now. There's a couple other projects to complete first, though.

ETA: An acquaintance of mine went through his deceased grandfather's things a while ago and found a pretty nice condition Type 99 bayonet. I haven't had such luck, but I do have a trunk of my late grandfather's keepsakes (the trunk that was shipping around from base to base while he was in the Army). According to my mother, he had a rifle from World War II on the wall (not sure if it was a capture or his own--did soldiers ever get to keep their own?), but, he passed away when my mother was only ten and some family member took it and it went into the ether. Now that would have been something I would treasured. Actually, a similar thing happened with my sister. When she passed away her husband gave her pistol to some friend of his that was a LEO and although he assured me he'd have that guy contact me so that I could get it back, it never materialized. :mad: And, to boot, my uncle sold my grandfather's WW2 medals.

Last edited:
I was given one from my late great uncle (ground mum, but with bayonet). Stupidly sold it (kept the bayonet) as as a kid (parents, guns bad etc). Pissed I got rid of it. Spent years locating another. Most were rusty. Crap and not worth $100.

Got one from a “very well known” NES member with all the accessories.

So happy I replaced it. Have 20 reloads I got at a gun show. Have not shot it. But thrilled I have the rifle, (hard to find parts) and bayonet! Thanks to you and NES!

I was given one from my late great uncle (ground mum, but with bayonet). Stupidly sold it (kept the bayonet) as as a kid (parents, guns bad etc). Pissed I got rid of it. Spent years locating another. Most were rusty. Crap and not worth $100.

Got one from a “very well known” NES member with all the accessories.

So happy I replaced it. Have 20 reloads I got at a gun show. Have not shot it. But thrilled I have the rifle, (hard to find parts) and bayonet! Thanks to you and NES!
Parts are not all that hard to find. Bayonets or nice ones a little harder. One of my uncles stories of his time in Japan shortly after wars end was watching them bulldoze every type of weapon you can think of onto barges and dumping it out in the ocean. Most of my great uncles war trinkets where long sold off tp pay bills before I knew any better.

This was a whole original rifle I bought. Un ground mum. Dust cover, mono pod, muzzle cover, sling etc. This was not put back together, had to be brought back like this.

So happy I could replace it. While I’m bummed I got rid of the one I got as a kid. I’m glad I could honor my uncles gift by replacing it.

Mental note, don’t sell gun gifts!

Attachments

• 848DCF30-77B5-4B37-83E3-28936A9439EB.png
    848DCF30-77B5-4B37-83E3-28936A9439EB.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 13
The only reason I bought this one was because the trigger guard had been hit by a bullet. When I bought it it had a mismatched bolt but was able to find a correct early numbers matching one on GB back when parts were everywhere

Attachments

• 1110EE07-C812-4E98-8FCE-E5003B1B72A7.jpeg
    1110EE07-C812-4E98-8FCE-E5003B1B72A7.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 34BD228B-7310-4BD2-A3C5-8ABC8A5217AF.jpeg
    34BD228B-7310-4BD2-A3C5-8ABC8A5217AF.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 16
This was a whole original rifle I bought. Un ground mum. Dust cover, mono pod, muzzle cover, sling etc. This was not put back together, had to be brought back like this.

So happy I could replace it. While I’m bummed I got rid of the one I got as a kid. I’m glad I could honor my uncles gift by replacing it.

Mental note, don’t sell gun gifts!
nice, I have 2 with dust covers, non matching.

The only reason I bought this one was because the trigger guard had been hit by a bullet. When I bought it it had a mismatched bolt but was able to find a correct early numbers matching one on GB back when parts were everywhere
good looking rifle and scars are a plus

Thats just cool
I was able to look over a WWII vets estate. His wife kept everyrhing he sent home from over seas, crates,boxes, bags. She had all his paper work. Sadly for me all the good stuff was accounted for and she got what i thought a great price.
So much stuff. I was able to get all the ammo and odd little stuff.
The ammo was all good and shot well. Rumor is she sold to a museum?

My Type 99 complete with AA sights (no monopod though). It's pretty clean other that what looks like shrapnel(?) damage on the top of the receiver and bolt stop. This is the only location on the rifle that has it and it doesn't look like pitting to me.

20190701_141600.jpg

20190701_141636.jpg

20190701_141642.jpg

Back
Top Bottom