When the Nuke goes off in the US....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Rockrivr1, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Do you think Amazon will still be able to deliver in 2 days if a nuke goes off?

JS870, mibro and Bmcl322 like this.

2. Greg

Greg NES Member

I hope so,because my post nuclear holocaust plans include ordering a bunch of survival stuff and food off of Amazon and EBay because most likely Stop and Shop will be closed for a couple of weeks.

mibro and Bmcl322 like this.
  3. rsj

rsj Member

From what I remember the way US nukes work (and I'm guessing any other country like China) is the ICBM goes into the stratosphere and releases something like 8-12 nuclear tipped missiles that rain down. If they are aimed at a nuclear missile silo then several will hit it in succession. A city might get more than one nuke.

Bmcl322 likes this.
  4. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Hell, people panic when it snows.

People need to be rescued from cars, carried out by firemen, when there's 2 feet of water around it.

TV commercials (Liberty Mutual?) show teenage kids perplexed by a tire change (and don't mock them).

We're (as a nation) far less resilient than we were. [sad]

Don't know what it means, but it does not look like a positive.

5. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

I've read that they can determine the origin of a nuke by looking at the isotopes at the blast site. Problem is who would believe the US if they said "We examined the bomb site and determined it came from Iran." So whether this is true or not, it will probably deter any state sponsored nukes. The danger is stolen nukes or home-made dirty bombs, imo. I don't think a state like NK would sell a nuke that could be tracked back to them.

6. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

To quote The Abyss:
    "And . . . here's MIRV!"

[​IMG]

7. Kevin 103

Kevin 103 NES Member

I will sawzall the roof off my truck and drive around in hockey mask and fur jockstrap.

PatMcD, mibro and Woodstock like this.
  8. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

I hope Waze is still working cause I can't get out of my driveway without it.

Bmcl322 likes this.
  9. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

I think the only MIRVs are on US subs, the Trident is like 8 warheads of 100kT each. The Russians have up to 10 of similar yield on sub-based missiles, and their land based are more like 4 warheads of 300-500kT each.

So like someone said, don't map 50Mton bombs on Boston, it'd be more like 150kT. Hopefully on Cambridge.

Bmcl322 likes this.
  10. clampett

clampett NES Member

I'll add Cresson Kearny's book. It is available free on line, just google his name. It has a lot of good practical advise.

11. ioman2

ioman2 NES Member

will i finally be able to go out in public with all of my fancy tactical gear?

mibro, northny and Bmcl322 like this.
  12. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

You can, but I will still laugh.

mibro and Bmcl322 like this.
  13. Bt74

Bt74 NES Member

They will only take Bitcoin!

Bmcl322 likes this.
  14. calsdad

calsdad Member

I don't know why people worry so much about this.

If you don't live in a city - then your biggest concern would be which way the winds are blowing (radiation).

If one does go off in a big city - well then the Democrats just lost a whole bunch of voters.

I'm referring to ONE city here. If more than one city goes up - then it's a whole different ballgame. But........ there is an effect here that a lot of people don't seem to want to acknowledge , and that is that it takes a TRULY insane person to think they can pull this off. And since it's a nuke - it would take a number of TRULY insane people to pull it off. If you talking about rogue players - well then maybe some of those movies from the 90's might actually be onto something. I can see some roque GROUP maybe being able to pull this off. Once you start talking about groups on the level of national governments , well then I think people are just sort of dirt ignorant as to the social mechanisms at play. Even the Soviet Union was not immune to this. There was that incident from the 80's (if I remember correctly) - where their early warning system completely screwed up and ONE GUY in their chain decided it was bogus and refused to launch. I think even if you're talking about North Korea - this kind of thing MUST be taken into account.

And since North Korea seems to be the main player that everybody thinks will try to pull this off - I have to say I think the vast majority of people are just completely f***ing ignorant as to WHY North Korea wanted nukes in the first place. Go read the goddam history. Korea was first occupied (brutally) by Japan. Then WW2 ends - and the commies take over the North. They do something stupid and invade the South thinking they can take over - and they *almost* did. The UN gets involved. The US gets involved. And we bombed the crap out of them. I read somewhere that pretty much every single town and city in North Korea was bombed into nothing. Go look at the casualty figures. North Korea suffered HUGE casualties.

I don't think you go thru something like that and have it NOT have a lasting effect. Go ask the Russians about WW2. Go ask the Armenians about the Turks. Go ask China about Japan during WW2 (they're still pretty pissed), the Jews never miss an opportunity to bring up the Holocaust, I bet the Vietnamese will tell you that the Vietnam War screwed the country for decades.

I don't think the North Koreans have nukes because they're completely crazy. I think they figured out having nukes keeps us out of North Korea. It's the same mental calculation I and justification I see being made right here on the pages of NES over and over again when people talk about how many guns they carry and why they carry ALL THE TIME (even in the shower). Paranoia? Depends on your life experience and your living situation IMHO.

So - do I think North Korea is going to nuke the US unprovoked? NO - I do not. Therefore I think most of these discussions about getting nuked are based on a completely bogus premise in the first place.

JS870, Broccoli Iglesias and mibro like this.
  15. bullseye

bullseye Member

Grid 17S with bugout longterm shelter and great fi
    Dude, its in the drop down menu, go read!! Now, whether the Ruskies have one, fly over to the Kremlin and ask Putin, I'm sure he'll give you a straight up answer. :confused:

16. calsdad

calsdad Member

It's my understanding that nukes can potentially be traced based on the radioactivity and other debris they leave behind.

If that's true - then it would be really hard to really be completely anonymous if you set off a nuke. The people actually setting off the nuke *might* be able to remain anonymous, but the origins of the nuclear material used to make the bomb probably wouldn't be.

That means the fickle finger of nuclear annihilation could at least be pointed somewhere. That fact means that having some "rogue country" like North Korea (the country everybody seems to think would do it) just give nuclear weaponry away to some terrorist group - seems like a pretty unlikely event IMHO.

I've said this for a long time: One of the biggest deterrents for any sort of anonymous terrorist use of nuclear weaponry - would be for the US to issue a statement that read something like this:

In the event of a nuclear device being set off on US territory, all due effort will be expended to determine both the person or person(s) or organization(s) responsible for the actual terrorist incident. In addition - all due effort will be expended to determine the source of the nuclear material used to build the nuclear device. Once the perpetrators are identified - and we will NOT use beyond a reasonable doubt as the determining logic - but rather a more loosely defined set of standards , then the perpetrators AND the source of the nuclear material will be dealt with in a manner using extreme prejudice.

The United States Government issues this policy as a warning to those who think they might be able to use non-governmental players to carry out terrorist attacks on US soil using nuclear weapons.

Basically you tell the world - don't try to give nukes away to terrorists - if we even suspect you did it (after a nuke goes off here) - we'll just glass your whole country.

You see - now everybody has skin in the game. If some rogue cadre of generals in North Korea decides they can give a nuke away to ISIS and get vengeance on the US, the rest of North Korea will become glass. Now everybody else in North Korea has a big incentive to take out their own roque generals.

Self preservation is a powerful force - that Soviet officer proved that back in the 90's when he questioned the entire Soviet system and refused to be a cog in the machine towards nuclear war.

17. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

I was told, for the first two decades of my life, that this will do it:

IPCHO.jpg

18. DrBurnsides

DrBurnsides NES Member

Tsar Bomba was underclocked deliberately. And it still overperformed. Edit. But yeah. That thing was ginormous. Prolly 1 or two of those exist on the planet. What would you need to say a second time that the first one wouldn't say?

19. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Start building a real man cave, not a sissy one with a small bar and large screen television set. Everything outside of your cave will be contaminated so you have to make sure you can reside there for the rest of your life. Here are some proven designs:
    man3.jpg man2.jpg man4.jpg man1.jpg

20. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Let's test this theory. Iran gives a nuke to an ISIS cell in the US. They nuke NY. Trump goes on TV and says "our nuclear experts have traced the nuclear residue to Iran. We're going to glass Iran."

What would be the world's response? The world who thinks the US faked 9/11.

So whether we can trace nukes or not doesn't matter cause the world will never believe our findings. They'll scream if we nuke another country on false evidence. The US would back down, or at most do some surgical strikes which accomplish little.

Now I don't know that Iran would be willing to test this theory, but I think that's how it would go.

21. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

When you citizens are terrified you can strip them of all their rights for their good. Government can’t terrorize people anymore with the threat of little bad men anymore so here come the nukes again.

22. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

When they fall it won’t matter. That day will be the day I take over with brutal force and my citizens will thrive under my heavy hand

23. fencer

fencer NES Member

I have serious doubts that a solo ICBM could actually strike the US. and think they could probably knock down a multiple missile launch. Not hundreds, but probably as many as Kim Jong whack job could muster.
    I think the real threat is surface detonated devices from shitholeastan and the area effected will be small but causalities high. Even getting a dirty bomb here will be a challenge because of the radiation it emits.
    I am far more concerned about the power grid. It would be remarkably easy to put most of the country in the dark for months. And if it happens, no one is going anywhere. Sit tight and hope they don't start door to door confiscation.

BTW - if a dirty bomb goes off in Bean town I am glad I live to the south.

24. Sparky123

Sparky123 NES Member

Hopefully when the nukes start flying they will only hit some of our prime real estate, like L.A., Chicago and Detroit.

25. Devils Paintbrush

Devils Paintbrush NES Member

This is an interesting simulator to use for this purpose NUKEMAP by Alex Wellerstein for showing different detonations.

Try a B-83 over Boston and run it with an airburst and then a ground detonation. Check the radiation fallout box (on the simulator) and you will see the differences...ground burst kicks up a lot more fallout.

26. bullseye

bullseye Member

A coordinated strike on the countries 500KV grid lines would put America out of business for quite some time, never mind the mindblowing chaos that would ensue. Who needs nukes!!!

fencer likes this.
  27. fencer

fencer NES Member

Yep. A direct hit to Detroit would kill tens of thousands and cause hundreds of dollars worth of damage

28. enbloc

enbloc NES Member

No troglodyte lifestyle for me. I go out staring at the second Sun...

GaryO likes this.
  29. MadatMarek

MadatMarek NES Member

It’s already been detonated, a new style of bomb that makes people stupid lazy and wants the gubernment to fix all. Known as the snowflake bomb, it doesn’t kill it infects many initially then eventually poisons us all.

30. bullseye

bullseye Member

Dude, your avatar, its so wrong in so many ways!! I mean, now I can no longer eat while surfing NES in fear I will see one of your posts. Lord, what has this country come too now??!!!!!!