• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When The Cops Yell At You To "Drop The Gun", What Do You Do ???

Again I'll remind everyone: modern police recruitment hires only 2 types of people. Choirs boys and sociopaths.

Which is why the police behave the way they do. some of them have zero life experience and are constantly spooked and in fear and the rest are crazy people.

The modern vetting and evaluation system 100% creates this situation.

My point is that you don’t “know” something because someone says it. If he regarded the guy as a greater threat based on hearing that than if he hadn’t, and therefore shot him when he otherwise would not have, then that’s a problem, not a defense. Cops are not generally credulous people, but there are apparently contexts where they’ll believe anything and act on that belief.
I understand what you are saying, but I’m not sure a court would agree.

We only see a short portion of one badge cam here. Is what happened that deputy girl rolled up first, was ok with kid holding gun, thought situation was under control, but didn’t tell dispatch that kid is holding gun?

Then deputy dog rolls up, heard on radio that situation is under control, which is why he was so relaxed initially. Then he hears “he’s got a gun” and the train goes off the rails?

More from the Daily Mail:

"In the statement, [lawyer Mark] NeJame went on to claim that the third man involved in the shooting was a 'known menace and danger' to the Heritage Hotel residents.

He insisted that Richardson had been holding his gun to provide protection to the first deputy on scene and the former EMT who was rendering aid to his brother, as the third man was still in the area.

According to the statement, the first deputy on the scene, the deputy's female partner, gave Richardson consent to do so and knew he was armed with a gun."
if this is true this is going to turn into more of a shit show than it already is....perhaps now it is clear why the female deputy seemed fearless? She knew he wasn't a threat? Also perhaps she should have communicated to all other deputies this information?

I understand what you are saying, but I’m not sure a court would agree.
Oh, I'm not saying it's a legal problem. I think from a legal standpoint it's going to help justify the shooting. But I think it's possible that the person who shouted that did so with animus and the intent of putting the guy into the crosshairs, and this possibility should be something that is always considered to some extent.

Oh, I'm not saying it's a legal problem. I think from a legal standpoint it's going to help justify the shooting. But I think it's possible that the person who shouted that did so with animus and the intent of putting the guy into the crosshairs, and this possibility should be something that is always considered to some extent.
That’s certainly possible. The legal standard is “knowing what you knew at the time.” What you thought you knew at the time may not turn out to have been true, but that doesn’t really count.

For example, a man is pointing a gun at you, you draw, shoot, man dies. It turns out his gun was a replica gun. That doesn’t change the fact it was a justified shooting.

I think the same argument might be able to be made about the statements of the witness that “he’s point the gun at people”.

I don’t know what the outcome of this is going to be. We are calmly debating this incident over multiple hours after having looked at the badge cam several times. Deputy dawg lived it once over the course of a few seconds.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, right or wrong, the police have looser ROE than I did in the Balkans while collecting hostile fire and imminent danger pay.

Riddle me that. We probably should look into that. If I shot a guy for just holding a weapon I'm on a one way flight to Coleman Barracks for a long time.

This is why cops in some nanny states roll up and draw on you for merely legally open carrying and having your hand nowhere near your holstered gun.

I think the same argument might be able to be made about the statements of the witness that “he’s point the gun at people”.

They're going to say that the utterance contributed to a reasonable belief that the guy was an imminent threat to others. I don't personally buy the "reasonableness" of taking that utterance at face value, but I may be outside of the category of people who define what is "reasonable" to believe. "Replica" shootings are ultimately based on what the officer sees in the moment that they pull the trigger. I'd be more comfortable with this shooting if the same kind of justification were clear. There was that moment in the Daniel Shaver shooting where Daniel Shaver quickly went to pull up his pants after being warned not to do that sh*t because it looked like reaching for a gun in the waistband. If there had been a twitch like that, something... My guess is that this deputy received a huge adrenaline dump, couldn't hear jack, and was looking through a drinking straw when he fired. Just a guess.

They're going to say that the utterance contributed to a reasonable belief that the guy was an imminent threat to others. I don't personally buy the "reasonableness" of taking that utterance at face value, but I may be outside of the category of people who define what is "reasonable" to believe. "Replica" shootings are ultimately based on what the officer sees in the moment that they pull the trigger. I'd be more comfortable with this shooting if the same kind of justification were clear. There was that moment in the Daniel Shaver shooting where Daniel Shaver quickly went to pull up his pants after being warned not to do that sh*t because it looked like reaching for a gun in the waistband. If there had been a twitch like that, something... My guess is that this deputy received a huge adrenaline dump, couldn't hear jack, and was looking through a drinking straw when he fired. Just a guess.
Isn't that cop "retired" at 28 and gets a $31000 pension for the rest of his life?

DQs6WN-VoAAJkuj.jpg

Isn't that cop "retired" at 28 and gets a $31000 pension for the rest of his life?

View attachment 655780
The very one, but he was the guy who fired. This is the guy who ran the fk'd up game of Simon Says.
L.jpg
I'm not saying anything in support of either of those guys, just that we can all watch the video and see Shaver reach for his waistband (to pull up his pants).

When The Cops Yell At You To "Drop The Gun", What Do You Do ???

You open your hands and let it fall. Even if what you are holding isn't a gun, now is not the time to discuss it. The cop is on edge and ready to shoot. Drop everything and move slowly. Save the argument for later. Your rights don't mean shit when he's dumping his mag into you. And being right won't bring you back from the dead.

Back
Top Bottom