• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When selling/buying a firearm, what do you consider "low....

Anybody who buys and sells target rifles should ALWAYS give or get a round count. It directly bears on the price of that gun.

Maybe so, but the only 2 I keep track of are my Barrett (which I never intend to sell, only bequeath) and and one of my AR's with expensive components and glass on it. Don't see selling that either.

As far as Glocks, I have a really old G21 LE turnin I bought, and it HAD been shot, because the springs are 'looser'. I bought another one becuase I was tired of waiting for my son to be 'done' with it at the range, and the one I bought had fewer rounds, and it's a lot tighter of a gun.
It doesn't make a difference, at least to me, because the target tells the story.

To me a target gun can be just about anything. A match grade rifle is more what he may be referring to the and I may be able to appreciate that. But general target rifles.......I dont even listen to what the seller is spouting out.......let me see the damn rifle and I'll decide what condition it's in.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I mean they are ALL target rifles if not being used in actual duty, combat, etc. I probably should've stated just the word "match" rifle, as that is more specific.

It would only matter to me to a match target rifle. And even then, probably not much because I suck now with my old eyes. In fact, I've bought a couple of barrels that the previous owners considered worn out after 1000 rounds because they were competing and it mattered to their scores. To me, it was a high quality barrel at a big discount. Even 'worn' out they suit my needs.

For a commodity gun... I couldn't care less about the count.

So......youll buy a gun where the seller "claims"50 rounds....over a gun where the seller does not specify......without even examining the gun? I got a bridge in Brooklyn if you are interested [rofl]

Look.....if someone is showing me a gun and says it's got 50 rounds through it my first impression is the seller is a lying sack of shit And I'll examine the gun and make my own determination of condition.

Not sure how "all things being equal" as a qualifier leads to me buying a gun without examining it in a FTF. It's a leap of faith on any item listed for sale for both the buyer and seller. On Gunbroker, you're not physically examining the firearm before bidding on it. The primary factors are price and feedback rating between similar items. If those things are close, then the advertised condition (ie round count) and pictures will impact purchase decisions.

To me a target gun can be just about anything. A match grade rifle is more what he may be referring to the and I may be able to appreciate that. But general target rifles.......I dont even listen to what the seller is spouting out.......let me see the damn rifle and I'll decide what condition it's in.

If you don't know what I'm talking about,……………….then you don't know what I'm talking about.

I once bought a handgun off the classifieds here that was advertised as having 500 rounds through it.I brought a micrometer when I went to check out the gun and measured the inside diameter of the barrel and told the guy it has at least 1250 rounds through it.Told him to knock $50 off the price due to the fact the life of the barrel was significantly shortened due to the increased round count..We had a deal.

True story [smile]

I once bought a handgun off the classifieds here that was advertised as having 500 rounds through it.I brought a micrometer when I went to check out the gun and measured the inside diameter of the barrel and told the guy it has at least 1250 rounds through it.Told him to knock $50 off the price due to the fact the life of the barrel was significantly shortened due to the increased round count..We had a deal.

True story [smile]

Did the seller know you were screwup with him?

when a buyer asks about round count it just shows they're clueless. there are other factors that are far more important. my favorite are the knuckleheads who think a glock with 500 rounds has been shot a lot....in my book 500 rounds isn't even getting warmed up. in fact I find the whole "round count" issue to be helpful because if a buyer starts asking about it I save my time and just move on.

the only place where round count would really matter is in some high pressure rifle cartridge where the barrel may show wear quickly, such as a .243 win or 6mm creedmoor, but again anyone with enough $$ to shoot out their barrel will have plenty of $$ for a new barrel!

I usto have a S&W M65 revolver (never should have sold it)

Bought it new in the very early 90's, had it for about 20 years.

I probably put about 15,000 rounds through it. But took very good care of it "cleaner than NIB"

The buyer thought it was unfired [smile]

Again never should have sold it.... What a trigger it had on it...

Meh, "round count" is what the seller claims it is. The wear will show how many rounds, roughly. I've sold a number of guns I've put one box of ammo through and didn't like the trigger or something else. I'm getting ready to sell a 34 year old revolver, that I just HAD to have, but never put more than 100 rounds through it. Loved the gun, but had plenty of others to shoot. Never put it in a holster, just kept it stashed for home intruders. BUT, it is flawless, has just a slight trace around the cylinder from working the action. Anyone knowledgeable of S&W revolvers would be able to tell if it were a higher round count.

What the ****? I'll put that through a new handgun in Bout two months! Why does the guy even want a handgun? Apparently he's never going to actually shoot it.

seriously! hopefully the guy decided to get tampons instead, that flaming vagina.

The body count on a firearm is the only count that matters...[rofl]

When selling/buying a firearm, what do you consider "low round count" ?

1: 50 and under ?
2: 100 and under ?
3: 500 and under ?
4: 1,000 and under ?
5: Other = ?

When selling/buying a firearm, what do you consider "high round count" ?

A:100 and over ?
B:500 and over ?
c:1,000 and over ?
D: Other = ?

Depends on the firearm...

If its a 300 win mag bolt gun I'd want a lower round count.

If its a AR 15 or a semi auto handgun, 1000rds is 2 range trips for me and the barrels are pretty cheap to replace so Im not really concerned.

In general people put WAY to much weight into this. Check the gun out.... if it functions, is free from cracks, looks like its in good shape wear pattern wise and the bore looks good its fine. 95% of people don't shoot enough to wear a gun out in their lifetime.

On top of that most people either don't know or lie about round count anyway so its not really a good measure.

If someone has a large enough collection, it's very easy to have several guns that are LNIB. I have some where I've shot less than than a 100 rounds through them, and can think of 6 off the top of my head that I never fired.

"Round count" is usually bogus, unless the seller bought the gun new with two boxes of ammo, shot said two boxes then sold the gun with the original receipt. Not that it really matters. Hell, If I was buying a secondhand commodity gun I'd prefer a higher round count because that tells me that 1. the gun is not a lemon that's going to have to be sent back to the mfgr, and 2. its already broken in. Now, of course, if we're talking older guns, rifles in particular, it does matter. Higher pressures = accelerated wear, but there is no effective way to determine the exact number of rounds shot through any old gun that's had multiple owners and/or has seen military service. Its all about knowing what to look for to determine wear.

If someone has a large enough collection, it's very easy to have several guns that are LNIB. I have some where I've shot less than than a 100 rounds through them, and can think of 6 off the top of my head that I never fired.

Excellent point. I don't have time to get to the range as often as I'd like, and when I do, I can only bring so many guns at a time, so some don't make it to the range very often at all, and some almost never, even though I don't want to get rid of them. I also have cars that I only drive less than 1k miles a year, watches that I don't wear often, etc. so it's not too hard to believe someone bought a gun and never shot it, or maybe put a box or 2 through it.

Excellent point. I don't have time to get to the range as often as I'd like, and when I do, I can only bring so many guns at a time, so some don't make it to the range very often at all, and some almost never, even though I don't want to get rid of them. I also have cars that I only drive less than 1k miles a year, watches that I don't wear often, etc. so it's not too hard to believe someone bought a gun and never shot it, or maybe put a box or 2 through it.

My M&P 9c is like that. I loved my 45c and wanted to get a 9 to save some money on ammo cost. Brought it to the range, 100rds later and I didn't like it. Just felt completely different. Recently took it out again almost a year later, another 100rds, nope. Back in the safe it went.

Right....but it's also not hard to believe someone has a gun with many thousands of rounds through it that needs to make a quick sale cuz his wife's on his ass about bill paying money......so cleans it up well and tells potential buyer......yeah I put about 200 rounds down it! I'm going to go on a limb and say that's more thank likely the case in most used situations (and look the gun over very well).

- - - Updated - - -

Right....but it's also not hard to believe someone has a gun with many thousands of rounds through it that needs to make a quick sale cuz his wife's on his ass about bill paying money......so cleans it up well and tells potential buyer......yeah I put about 200 rounds down it! I'm going to go on a limb and say that's more thank likely the case in most used situations (and look the gun over very well).

Rifles are a different story, but I don't worry about it at all when I buy handguns. If the gun looks good, it is generally immaterial how many rounds it's seen. The one exception I can think of is a 92 or p38

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom