• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When Seconds Count.........

2. Who the hell is " Flava" and why does he spell it that way?

Flavor Flav
Musician
William Jonathan Drayton, Jr., better known by his stage name Flavor Flav, is an American musician and television personality who rose to prominence as a member of the hip-hop group Public Enemy.

FLAVA-FLAV-DAYLIGHT-SAVINGS-TIME.JPG

Now go bleach your eyes.

I'm gratified to know you're OK.

Put me in the column of people who say you should have a firearm stashed somewhere in/on/under your chair at all times.

I work from home, and carry always.

Should have taken Biden's advice and fired your double barrel shotgun through the door. And you won't get in trouble because It was a vice presidential decree!

30 years ago I was a room-mate in a very nice house in an upscale western suburb. Lived down the street from the police station and I worked about 2 miles away. One day home for lunch, upstairs brushing my teeth and my little dog goes wild downstairs. I walk down and find a very creepy looking 6ft+ guy in a trench coat and sun glasses in my kitchen. I freeze, the guy asks me if it's 'Acme Corporation', and casually walks out.

I'm freaked, I go to the policestation and tell them what happened, and they smirk at me and say, 'why the hell don't you keep your doors locked?' I was 22 at the time (and I'm a woman).

That night the elderly neighbors tell me they saw him pull in and sneak into the house - they knew I was home and were giving him a couple minutes to get out and then they were going to call the cops.

Lesson learned - keep doors locked at all time and always have a gun nearby.

Last edited:
+infinity on carrying in your home...in whatever manner works best for you. Set yourself up with lots of spare mags and a very, very bright flashlight that can (1) help you identify your target should the lights go out and (2) disorient the fargin' icehole bastidge whilst you do what needs to be done.

Bear in mind that the police are under no...repeat no legal obligation to intervene in an ongoing crime/incident. This has been decided several times by the Supreme Court. IIRC, one of the opinions plainly stated that it is the responsibility of each individual citizen to provide for his/her self-defense.

Seconds do indeed count. Make the most of them.

I grabbed my mace spray nearby...

Also keep in mind, what would you do if there was more than one attacker? Your can of mace might not affect the other attacker and then you will be up shit creek without a paddle.

Not only that, be prepared to receive a big dose yourself if you unleash pepper spray indoors (probably not a good home defense plan). [crying]

No, I've never tried it.

The real lesson is that when your home your gun should be with you and not in a safe in another room.

Sure you should have it at the ready, but why wait until you have to use it to repel a potential attacker? When I conceal carry in public I don't just think to myself OK I'm safe I have something I can use to defend myself! NO, this is just my last resort. To be quite sure: in my mind if I have to draw it it's already too late, my tactical / security plan has somehow failed, or I've been surprised, and nobody likes this kind of surprise.

Why not install some additional exterior lighting to decrease hiding areas for would be intruders?
Why not install some security cameras? Logitech Alert makes some decent ones, and it's a turnkey solution.
Why not fortify your doors so that someone can't just kick it in? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXOxOo8fiE8
Why not clear shrubbery to give you more visibility?
Why not fortify windows so they can't just be smashed?

If you want to feel safe in your home, do something about it. The steps I've outlined above probably cost less than $1,000 in total depending on the size of the home. Hell if I were this concerned I'd hire a security consultant if I could afford it to do a security review of my home.

When all you've got is a hammer, every problem starts looking like a nail; a firearm is but one element of an overall security plan.

Last edited:
Sure you should have it at the ready, but why wait until you have to use it to repel a potential attacker? When I conceal carry in public I don't just think to myself OK I'm safe I have something I can use to defend myself! NO, this is just my last resort. To be quite sure: in my mind if I have to draw it it's already too late, my tactical / security plan has somehow failed, or I've been surprised, and nobody likes this kind of surprise.

Why not install some additional exterior lighting to decrease hiding areas for would be intruders?
Why not install some security cameras? Logitech Alert makes some decent ones, and it's a turnkey solution.
Why not fortify your doors so that someone can't just kick it in? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXOxOo8fiE8
Why not clear shrubbery to give you more visibility?
Why not fortify windows so they can't just be smashed?

If you want to feel same in your home, do something about it. The steps I've outlined above probably cost less than 1000$ in total depending on the size of the home. Hell if I were this concerned I'd hire a security consultant if I could afford it to do a security review of my home.

That's all well and good, and should be done to make every home look like less of a target.

But there is a small segment of criminals (Former cop in my PPiTH class told me 1 out of 10, or 10%) out there who just do not give a **** how "secure" the house looks or even is. Those are the truly evil ones. And for those guys, you need to keep a gun near you at all times because they will not run away or back down or be merciful. They will only stop when their heart stops beating and the neurons in their brain stop firing.

Would have been nice if you had a survailence system to review what was happening outside your home. Night vision and maybe a walkway alert would have allowed you to be aware of someone's prescience outside before they got to the door.
My security system has motion activated chime that lets me know if someone comes onto the property well before they reach any entrance to the house.

After looking at the ScotWorks video more, I'm still not sold on that for a "wheelchair holster". Terrific idea, but it still looks just a little clunky to me. Plus it looks like it would add to the overall width of my wheelchair. I can barely squeeze through some doorways now. I don't want to roll with a fanny pack either. Very gay. Ideally I'd like something a little more discreet but still accessible for me. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for all the prompt responses and ideas.

Seriously, like Lcstyle said, security cameras on 4 corners of your house.
Never let anyone get the drop on you... ever.

The unblinking eye...

dome-security-camera.jpg

My suggestion: rig up a holster to your wheelchair for your handgun on your strong side and a mag holster (s) with as many extra mags as you feel you need. Since you are always in the wheelchair, you will always have quick access to your handgun and you will still meet the dumb storage rules (since you are in control of it).

Glad to hear everything turned out alright.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

After looking at the ScotWorks video more, I'm still not sold on that for a "wheelchair holster". Terrific idea, but it still looks just a little clunky to me. Plus it looks like it would add to the overall width of my wheelchair. I can barely squeeze through some doorways now. I don't want to roll with a fanny pack either. Very gay. Ideally I'd like something a little more discreet but still accessible for me. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for all the prompt responses and ideas.

I think a shoulder rig would be in order.

In the cooler weather, you could have a sweatshirt and nobody would know.

Also, for around the house, could you put a holster under the front part of the seat?

Granted it may not be super secure but may be well suited for home use.

You should out the town you live in. That is pathetic thats the response you got. Even when there is only 1 cop on duty out here there is no way in F**k it would take that long for a response, another town would respond if we were tied up. And if someone that worked for me EVER treated someone like that they would be packing their sh*t!!! Unacceptable, period!

I always have mine when I'm home. On me or with me like my TV remote lol. When seconds count, you may not have time to get to a safe.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

I am sorry that you got that response from the cops...that is unacceptable. Only problem is, that behavior is now becoming the "norm" rather than the exception. Go to the station and submit a written complaint form. Maybe the guy is an a$$whole to everone.

Cops can be real good historians...not exactly what you needed that night. So....like so many posters before me have said: rig up & carry!

I just had an interesting incident. I'm a guy in a wheelchair. Our house is about 200ft. from the road. I am home alone, it's dark, raining slightly and only a couple of lights were on inside the house.

I was on the computer and the front doorbell rang once. About 5 seconds later the outside screened storm door was opened (it was unlocked) and someone tried to turn the knob of the interior door. I was about 10 ft. away and I'm thinking "is somebody trying to break in"? Everyone that knows me uses a different door and always calls out my name. I grabbed my mace spray nearby and flicked on the sconce lights but nobody was there. My handgun was in a Fort Knox pistol safe in another room. No car in the driveway that I could see. I put on several more lights inside and outside the house.

I called the town cops and told them what happened and they said they would check it out. Thirty five (35) minutes later a cop showed up at the front door and we spoke through the screen door. I told him what happened. He seemed amused and he said "Well, what do you want me to do"? "It sounds like kids ringing a doorbell to me". I said "Yes maybe so but it's kind of unsettling to me, could you look around the perimeter of the house"?". He could clearly see I am in a wheelchair and I was a little rattled. I'm thinking I'm paying over $8,000 a year in property taxes and this is the absolutely useless police response I get?

Anyway, it got me thinking about that slogan "When seconds count the police are still minutes away". So true for me tonight. It was also a good reminder for me to hit the range. I haven't been there in a while.

So, Cosmo:

I was having brunch with Marsha and I mentioned your plight to her. She offered the following bits of advice.

1) You're an *******.
2) You shouldn't be in a wheelchair. Having wheels is a lot like having super powers and that makes you think you're better than other people.
3) Why the hell did you lock the door? This person would ONLY attempt to join you in your house in an effort to obtain goods and services to help the poor and less well off than you. You're an ******* for keeping your stuff, that the state lets you have, from the poor.
4) A GUN?! You're not a cop.. what gives you the right?! Not her!
5) MACE?! Seriously?! You could really irritate someone with that stuff. You should dispose of it immediately!
As to the whole "you called the Police" thing.

You're an *******. The police could have been doing something USEFUL, like issuing speeding tickets or taking a nap under a bridge.. BUT NOOOO. YOU had to monopolize their time so they could cater to your pathetic problems that you obviously brought on yourself by, you, being an *******.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a personal note: What's to prevent you from doing something like this: http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/at...ceal-carry-pistol-guy-wheelchair-copy-gun.jpg

throw a piece of neoprene over the top and it's invisible. Especially if you used a neoprene type holster.

How about this?

What if you were to sew/ rivet/ velcro a flat bag UNDER your seat. Make it of the same material or color as the seat itself to be fairly inconspicuous and have velcro or some other fairly quick access closure? Depending on how it's done, you could have a couple of easily accessible compartments for other things to be more versatile.

The idea is that you'd just reach under the seat and have quick access. Also, where it would be of the same color and material as the seat it would be something that would not be immediately noticed. Or, the way that chairs tend to be all tricked out at this point, it would probably just be taken as yet another accessory.

Just a thought.

How about this?

What if you were to sew/ rivet/ velcro a flat bag UNDER your seat. Make it of the same material or color as the seat itself to be fairly inconspicuous and have velcro or some other fairly quick access closure? Depending on how it's done, you could have a couple of easily accessible compartments for other things to be more versatile.

The idea is that you'd just reach under the seat and have quick access. Also, where it would be of the same color and material as the seat it would be something that would not be immediately noticed. Or, the way that chairs tend to be all tricked out at this point, it would probably just be taken as yet another accessory.

Just a thought.

Seanc, Thanks for the idea...I'll give that one some thought. I've always had a bag attached under my seat. (see link below) Inside the bag are catheters, hand wipes, lube, tissues, etc. to empty my bladder. I think I could stuff a small handgun in there but my access to it would not be quick....but it's certainly discreet. I have the "Deluxe Down Under."

http://www.advantagebag.com/wheelchair_downunder_bags.htm

pitbull with a dimebag and a hi-point.

cops. cops everywhere.

You ******* I spit my coffee on my keyboard!!

I am glad nothing happened to you Cosmo123 . I always carry at home fall asleep in my chair with my gun strapped to me because my house has been hit 2 times possibly three. Bastards stole my Oxycodone from my separated shoulder a few years ago. Left the 400 dollar camera and took loose change ..
I'd be more than glad to help you design a holster you can mount to the chair if you want to..

Last edited:
Seanc, Thanks for the idea...I'll give that one some thought. I've always had a bag attached under my seat. (see link below) Inside the bag are catheters, hand wipes, lube, tissues, etc. to empty my bladder. I think I could stuff a small handgun in there but my access to it would not be quick....but it's certainly discreet. I have the "Deluxe Down Under."

http://www.advantagebag.com/wheelchair_downunder_bags.htm

Looks like the small book "side-pac" in the link you provided would give you quicker and easier access. After all, the title of this thread is..."when seconds count".

I just had an interesting incident. I'm a guy in a wheelchair. Our house is about 200ft. from the road. I am home alone, it's dark, raining slightly and only a couple of lights were on inside the house.

I was on the computer and the front doorbell rang once. About 5 seconds later the outside screened storm door was opened (it was unlocked) and someone tried to turn the knob of the interior door. I was about 10 ft. away and I'm thinking "is somebody trying to break in"? Everyone that knows me uses a different door and always calls out my name. I grabbed my mace spray nearby and flicked on the sconce lights but nobody was there. My handgun was in a Fort Knox pistol safe in another room. No car in the driveway that I could see. I put on several more lights inside and outside the house.

I called the town cops and told them what happened and they said they would check it out. Thirty five (35) minutes later a cop showed up at the front door and we spoke through the screen door. I told him what happened. He seemed amused and he said "Well, what do you want me to do"? "It sounds like kids ringing a doorbell to me". I said "Yes maybe so but it's kind of unsettling to me, could you look around the perimeter of the house"?". He could clearly see I am in a wheelchair and I was a little rattled. I'm thinking I'm paying over $8,000 a year in property taxes and this is the absolutely useless police response I get?

Anyway, it got me thinking about that slogan "When seconds count the police are still minutes away". So true for me tonight. It was also a good reminder for me to hit the range. I haven't been there in a while.
Glad you made out ok in that scenario. That cop is a dick if he asked what it is you want me to do. How about your job? Having your weapon system nearby and easily accessible is key, and pepper spray is an absolute bummer because youre gonna be hacking and coughing just as much, i think itd be very difficult to retreat from the cloud in a house while in a wheelchair. Im not sure how you feel about dogs, but I refer to my Belgian Shepard as my "furry trip flare". A dogs job (aside from being someone I can whine to that doesnt call me a baby) is to buy you that 60 seconds or so to get to your weapon system or phone or both. They are a huge deterrent to the average home invasion/B&E maggot.

Back
Top Bottom