When is the "next" Massachusetts Approved Roster coming out?

Retired-LEO

NES Member
Question(s): 1) When is the next "Massachusetts Approved Firearm Roster" coming out?

2) How many times a year does the roster come out?

Any input is appreciated!

It's supposed to be published 4x/year IIRC. It isn't every 3 months, sometimes seems a bit random. State has to pay full retail for full page ad (list) in the Boston Glob each time.

It seems to be up to the Secretary of Public Safety to determine WHEN it will come out in reality and of course there is no penalty if they don't publish 4x/year either. Gov't is always exempt from penalties for NOT doing things as required by law! [thinking]

It's supposed to be published 4x/year IIRC. It isn't every 3 months, sometimes seems a bit random. State has to pay full retail for full page ad (list) in the Boston Glob each time.

It seems to be up to the Secretary of Public Safety to determine WHEN it will come out in reality and of course there is no penalty if they don't publish 4x/year either. Gov't is always exempt from penalties for NOT doing things as required by law! [thinking]

"Thanks LenS"

I find it funny that the people that actually care about this list don't read that paper.

It was written into the law by those that count on the Glob for reelection support. It makes no sense and I did try to do something about it at the EOPS Hearing on the CMR (do a little search here) but they chose the oldest, most difficult way to do business.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section1313~4
The secretary shall, not less than three times annually, publish the roster in newspapers of general circulation throughout the commonwealth, and shall send a copy thereof to all dealers licensed in the commonwealth under the provisions of said section 122 of said chapter 140; and further, the licensing authority shall furnish said roster to all cardholders and licensees upon initial issuance and upon every renewal of the same

I haven't purchase the Boston Globe in ages, do they really publish the list in that paper ?

Last edited:
It's usually on the net before anything else.... and from a practical matter... who really cares?

I don't go looking at the stupid roster when I want to go buy a handgun. I go looking for the handgun that I want and I buy it. Those who spend time fapping/fawning over whether or not something is on the roster are wasting time they could be spending actually looking for the handgun they want at a reasonable price.

-Mike

Sam, look at what you quoted (MGL) it MUST be published in papers of "general circulation" which would be the Glob in E. MA, probably a Springfield and/or Worcester papers elsewhere. According to Chief Glidden (chairman of GCAB) that is where they do publish (Glob). Haven't read that garbage paper in years so I've never seen it.

I'm 100% with Mike, I don't usually even look at the list out of curiosity. If I see it and someone wants to sell it and I'm willing to pay the price, that is all that matters to me.

same as with auction, foreclosure etc. as Len says, must be published notice for general public, paper like the globe qualifies.

am more curious if the shield will be on this list? am looking at this gun.

It was written into the law by those that count on the Glob for reelection support. It makes no sense and I did try to do something about it at the EOPS Hearing on the CMR (do a little search here) but they chose the oldest, most difficult way to do business.
We don't even put homes for sale in newspapers anymore. 93% of people looking for a new home start their search online now. Thats hard to explain to elderly people looking to sell their home. They still buy the paper and don't generally use the web so they don't "get it".
I agree about the roster. Who cares. When the Shield is available to buy in Mass, I'm sure you will see it here before anywhere else.

It's usually on the net before anything else.... and from a practical matter... who really cares?

I don't go looking at the stupid roster when I want to go buy a handgun. I go looking for the handgun that I want and I buy it. Those who spend time fapping/fawning over whether or not something is on the roster are wasting time they could be spending actually looking for the handgun they want at a reasonable price.

-Mike

The REASON I am so interested in the updated roster is:

#1) I put a deposit on a S&W M&P Shield
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...80153_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

"and"

#2) I may be interested in the S&W M&P 22 / http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...73655_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

-Mike

I'm 100% with Mike, I don't usually even look at the list out of curiosity. If I see it and someone wants to sell it and I'm willing to pay the price, that is all that matters to me.

This. 1 very important thing I have learned here: stop looking at and worrying about the stupid roster. If you want a handgun, and you can find it reasonably, then buy it. This thread should be forwarded to the Handgun Compliance Thread.

Why does everyone seem to have a hard-on for these S&W M&P handguns??? I was not impressed with the M&P 9mm when I actually had a chance to handle it. It felt cheesy to me, plus the trigger was crap.
Don't get me wrong, I own SWHC stock and want to see them do well, but I just don't understand the drooling everyone seems to be doing over these guns (especially when most people haven't even had a chance to see let alone fire a Shield yet).

Why does everyone seem to have a hard-on for these S&W M&P handguns??? I was not impressed with the M&P 9mm when I actually had a chance to handle it. It felt cheesy to me, plus the trigger was crap.
Don't get me wrong, I own SWHC stock and want to see them do well, but I just don't understand the drooling everyone seems to be doing over these guns (especially when most people haven't even had a chance to see let alone fire a Shield yet).

I have had multiple chances to hold & inspect the S&W M&P Shield. It has had very good reviews "especially range reviews"

The trigger is MUCH better than older M&P models out of the box (not to say a good gunsmith trigger job OR an apex trigger kit is not a move the the right direction)

AND I have a friend with extensive shooting experience shoot both the 9mm version & the .40S&W version of the SHIELD (He liked them both so much "He bought BOTH")

But to each their own.... I am a huge fan of S&W revolvers! And I betting that I will be of the S&W SHIELD once I get one!

I have had multiple chances to hold & inspect the S&W M&P Shield. It has had very good reviews "especially range reviews"

Most guns will get good reviews (as long as you're talking about the mainstream press). The gunwriter's ability to get inside information, loaner guns for future reviews, and space in magazines that sell ads to these same companies depends on it.

Most guns will get good reviews (as long as you're talking about the mainstream press). The gunwriter's ability to get inside information, loaner guns for future reviews, and space in magazines that sell ads to these same companies depends on it.
This.

Like I said, I own SWHC so fanboys are welcome if it drives up my value (it was up 20% in one day last week).

I have an idea, why don't we invite them to post the roster here as a courtesy and it will save MA the money. I just laughed to myself, who am I kinding!!!!

drgrant said:

-Mike

This is how to do it, list I don need no stinking' list

Back
Top Bottom