• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When is someone ready to carry?

I did a quick search and couldn't find this topic discussed so here it goes.

Let's say a person who had little to zero experience with guns takes the basic firearms safety course and gets issued an unrestricted ltc-a. This person buys a pistol an wants to carry.

I'd like to see what everyone thinks about when someone is ready to carry. Do you think x amount of training is needed, so many hours and rounds at the range, mentoring from a person with carrying experience or just when the person has become comfortable and proficient with their gun?

Just interested to see what everyone thinks.

That is a personal question that only an individual can answer for themselves.

For me, I was not ready to carry after taking NRA Basic Pistol. NRA Basic Pistol (and most similar classes) do not cover defensive shooting, drawing from a holster, drawing from concealment, the laws of self defense, how to carry concealed, etc. I wasn't comfortable carrying until after I took Mas Ayoob's 40-hour LFI-1 (he has changed his training courses and I think his current equivalent is MAG-40), which covers all of these topics. I later took SIG's Concealed Carry class, which covered some of these topics but in less detail.

Hours and rounds at the range won't teach you the basics of drawing from a holster, drawing from concealment, how to conceal, the laws of self defense (when you can and when you can not use deadly force), etc.

But I'm not going to tell someone when they are or when they aren't ready to carry. They have to make that decision themselves.

Last edited:
I took a 8 hr course at the Sig Academy in NH and after that felt as good as I'd ever be to carry. They started us practicing holstering BEFORE shooting then we kept holstered all day. Instructors were very appropriately vocal about mistakes. There was a lot of repetition but that's how you learn good muscle memory habits. It was the best time and money I ever spend on "firearms". It's obviously not just about the time spent but how you train and how fast you learn. Some people took the next level course before carrying. I figured I'd wait and take that later--but never did. I'm probably due for a good course.

It will vary widely by person. Personally, I would not carry until I felt 100% secure in doing so. A complete understanding of the CCW inside and out and at least a few hundred rounds at the range. I would want to be sure of the MFG integrity. I also would wear on my own property for a week or so to ensure that the holster/method of carry is completely secure to avoid dropping or brandishing. So for me, the process would be about a month with a new gun, but I have 20+ years of experience with firearms and safety.

A person with 0 experience with any firearm ever...well that's a whole different story. I would suggest taking an extra course or two beyond the required. Hitting the range at least once a week for a month or so - preferably with someone experienced. They really must feel completlely comfortable with carrying a specific CCW and have the knowledge to ensure the safety of others as well as themselves. The amount of time this would take will again vary by person. I just don't think there is one answer to this question that would applicable to everyone.

But it is certainly up to the individual to make this determination and not the IA or gov't...

Going down the rat-hole of telling someone when they are ready is offensive, abusive and pointless.

People have been irresponsible and even criminal after years of training and experience.

People have been responsible and capable of defending themselves with none.

All anyone can and should do for a new gun owner is offer the benefits of their experience on technical, legal and practical matters. As they are going to be an adult carrying (by definition of the law), they need to make the rest of those choices on their own like so many of the other choices an adult makes.

Looks like M1911 beat me to it... [smile]

When you feel confident if you aren't confident you hesitate if you hesitate when you need it you end up deaded. Try to feel confident wearing unholstering reholstering and moving doing daily things with your pistol. Some of the courses mention are a good start too. Oh and try the holstering and unholstering part unloaded first don't need anyone going full tex retard again.

I took a 8 hr course at the Sig Academy in NH and after that felt as good as I'd ever be to carry. They started us practicing holstering BEFORE shooting then we kept holstered all day. Instructors were very appropriately vocal about mistakes. There was a lot of repetition but that's how you learn good muscle memory habits. It was the best time and money I ever spend on "firearms". It's obviously not just about the time spent but how you train and how fast you learn. Some people took the next level course before carrying. I figured I'd wait and take that later--but never did. I'm probably due for a good course.

This. I couldn't have said it better. The basic safety course wasn't anything compared to the defensive training classes. It is a must for any CCW holder.

I am waiting on my LTC-A now but do not intend on CC until I have had a combination of a few more classes at MFS and some time at the range. I have handled weapons over the years and feel I am a pretty good shot, but CC is a whole different world and I know I am not ready by just getting my LTC.

On the other hand, I cannot wait for a little shotgun shooting!

When you have read the horror stories of how your life can forever be sent into financial ruin for merely trying to protect your life and the lives of others and are willing to accept those concequences; and when you have proper knowledge of the laws regarding carrying concealed and you no longer feel the need to ask yourself the question of am I ready .... that is when you should carry concealed.

This is an interesting topic...

On the one hand, you have people saying mandatory training like we have here in MA is unconstitutional to be required for a LTC, which allows you to carried concealed (assuming it's unrestricted).

On the other hand you have people saying you should take training before carrying concealed...

Just an interesting observation.

Can we have our cake and eat it too?

On the one hand, you have people saying mandatory training like we have here in MA is unconstitutional to be required for a LTC, which allows you to carried concealed (assuming it's unrestricted).

On the other hand you have people saying you should take training before carrying concealed...

Just an interesting observation.

Can we have our cake and eat it too?

What I think is a good idea and what I'm willing to use the force of government to impose on others are two VASTLY different things.

You're ready when you value your life and the life of your family enough to take the necessary precaution of being armed. Would it be wise to get additional training? Sure. Should that stop you from carrying? Depends on you and how much you value being alive.

That overlooks the potential danger to ones self and others if you don't know what you're doing. I'd say when the harm you can avoid by carrying is greater than the harm you get from carrying. People generally suck at understanding probability and risk management, but that's the general framework. Each of those sides of the inequality are affected by so many factors that, like M1911 said, it's impossible to generalize. I think a typical 2 day defensive handgun course is a good rule of thumb for most people.

2 weeks after picking up your LTC-A if you're going to be carrying OWB.

1 month after if carrying IWB.

If you're going with a shoulder rig you should be wearing it (empty, of course) when you stop by the police station to pick up your license. Then drive straight to pick up your first pistol, which should be holstered and carried as soon as possible.

We can agree to disagree; I value my life and the life of my family more than anyone else's safety.

Did you miss where I said 'ones self *and* others'? Also if you go to jail for negligently shooting someone, what effect does that have on your family's safety?

I don't think we disagree. All I'm saying is everyone has to weight risk vs reward and make a decision they feel comfortable with.

I was BORN READY, motherf*ckers. [wink]

No, one thing I will say though is I think it's very important to know where your temper threshold is.

If you can't control your emotions you aren't ready to carry a sharp stick.

A guy I went to school with (who I hung out with on various occasions but he wasn't really a close friend) got his LTC at around 21 yrs old. Long story short he made some very bad decisions, did some jail time and (obviously) can no longer own firearms. It's unfortunate because I always thought he was an ok guy but he'd throw down at the drop of a hat. Certainly the guy you want on your side at a house party brawl, but once you're old enough to start carrying firearms, you better not be getting involved in that type of behavior.

It's a self selecting process. No government interference necessary. If you put your finger on the trigger at the wrong time, you'll blow a hole in your leg.
Same with flying. If you have the right instincts, you can solo after six or seven hours. If not, you might never solo, or you might stall the plane and kill yourself. No government regulations needed.

Keep your finger off the trigger until youre ready to kill someone. You'll be fine.

If you're not sure, you should carry a banana around in an otherwise empty holster until you are sure. Learn discipline by only drawing and pointing the banana in situations where your life or the lives of other are actually in imminent danger during that time. After each event take some time to break down what happened and see how you did. Be honest with yourself.

If you're not sure, you should carry a banana around in an otherwise empty holster until you are sure. Learn discipline by only drawing and pointing the banana in situations where your life or the lives of other are actually in imminent danger during that time. After each event take some time to break down what happened and see how you did. Be honest with yourself.

Lol

On the other hand you have people saying you should take training before carrying concealed
I see no conflict between those two positions. Do you?

I see no conflict between those two positions. Do you?

Nope. No conflict at all.

I do not support mandatory training - the government shouldn't be able to tell someone that they can't carry the tool that they need to defend themselves. I do strongly suggest that people get appropriate training. But the amount of training that they need, the resources that they have (time, money, availability of training in their locale), and the risks that they face are all different.

When I started down this road, I was fortunate. My life is low risk. I work in "safe" places. I live in a "safe" town. (Yes, safe isn't truly safe -- bad things can happen anywhere -- but the probability of violence in Roxbury is a lot higher than the probability of violence in Wayland.) I wasn't facing any current threat. I had the time and money to take Ayoob's 40-hour class and I was able to wait the several months before I could take it.

But a person's situation could be very different. For example, suppose a woman's ex has threatened to kill her. Her threat level is much higher and it is right now. She doesn't have time to schedule training months away. She may not have the money or the ability to take a week off. So now what? Say that she shouldn't be allowed to carry? She should just call 911 while he stabs her? No. For her, a J-frame with a laser-grip in a pocket in her purse and a few hours informal instruction on the range may be all that can be done in time. It isn't ideal, but it may well be enough to save her life.

I wasn't suggesting anyone commenting on this particular thread thought that way...in the past there have been discussion on mandatory training etc, I didn't want this to turn into that. It was just an observation that I've noticed in general.

Back
Top Bottom