• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When does an AR lower need FA-10

67ray

NES Member
If there is a person that has a never before built AR upper and lower set, would it need to be transferred via Bill of sale or FA-10? Person to person not FFL.

Would the answer be different if the person
A. Did not ever register nor build the lower
B. Never built the lower but could not remember it it was ever registered or not?

And if your answer is to register, then what barrel length do you put on the form?

If A is true then bill of sale only.
If B is true, then get a bill of sale but it is up to the seller to file an eFA-10 if in fact it was previously registered, not the buyer's responsibility. If it was never registered, see A.
You do not register in MA until it can go "bang", by then you will know what length of barrel you built it with.

edit: Len says I was wrong, he is more knowledgeable than I.

I bow to his superior knowledge

Last edited:
If it is serialized and capable of being assembled ... you bought a stripped lower I'd venture a GUESS every change of hands requires a FA10

Now if it were an 80% lower, I would say it gets a FA-10 when it is assembled as a functioning lower
Wrong. See the reply above yours for the correct answer per MGL.

I believe the bill of sale part only applies to transactions where both people reside in the same state and the transaction takes place in that state, otherwise it needs to go thru an FFL. Len correct me if that's wrong.

Same state, go 'ol MA.

Seller doesn't recall getting FA-10 but wants to be sure, since you know Mass

Back
Top Bottom