When do you give negative iTrader feedback?

I'm really starting to get annoyed with the way people have been conducting themselves in the Classifieds section of the forum, both guest and so called "green" members, and I'm wondering what the other member's thoughts are on giving negative iTrader feedback.

In the past I've limited negative feedback to what I'd consider egregious breaches of ethics - no showing/no call on an arranged meeting, reneging or breaking terms of a deal, or seriously shady behavior. But now I've got people PMing me with an offer, I'll accept the offer, mark the item as SPF, and I'll never here back from the person. Or I'll get an offer or question or request for pictures or more details, I'll respond (favorably) and I'll never hear back. And I get DOZENS of these every time I post an item. This stuff takes a lot of time and energy, and it's getting to the point where (for me) it's almost not worth using the Classified section anymore.

It makes me wonder if I should start sending negative feedback for all these time wasters and tire kickers. I mean, if I did, and everyone else did as well, I'm sure a pattern would start to emerge for certain users. If I got a PM from a guy asking questions and requesting more pictures, and I could check his iTrader feedback and see he's got 10 instances of negative feedback for wasting other guys' time, maybe it would save me from wasting my time too.

Thoughts?

On a different note, I've also noticed that this site's administrators don't seem to have a problem erasing negative feedback for people that I've given it to, even when it was well deserved.

Asking for more pictures isn't a bad thing, but if they say "I'll take it" and go incognito... That would piss me off.

In the first instance, it is perfectly okay to ask for more information about something before committing to buy it. If they decide it is not what they want, no deal was greed upon.
When a deal is agreed upon, and they just drop off the map, I would probably leave them negative iTrader feedback

Last edited:
Yes the classified are being clouded by certain users. Tire kickers are one thing, blowing some one off after several email or phone calls is another.

My problem is when a member leaves you multiple feedbacks on the same transaction before its even completed.

I would only do it for things you're selling/buying. Not for things that are free. Giving a neg over something that you're offering up for no cost is just being petty (IMO)...

Well I have bought stuff and sold stuff on NES. Both gun related and other items.
I have sold on other forums as well as e-bay.
Remember..you are offering something for sale to the public...they have the right to ask questions. Especially with $1000 plus items...
Just like anything else.there are tire kickers.
Not everyone knows just what they want. They have to ask questions to get answers.
Sometimes more photos are necessary.
I have asked for more photos only to find the guy expected me to drive for over 2 hours without checking something out!
A NIB item doesn't necessarily need photos as far as I am concerned!!! But it better be NIB!!!
As far a negative feedback goes....well that is a double edge sword!!!
So expect to get what you give!!!
I have had some communicate for 5 days, plan on a time and everything..Only to never hear from him again.
Then when I checked it out. The guy was in a car accident!!! His family contacted me .
Just my 2 cents..at todays prices that ain't worth much!!!

Perhaps my initial post was misunderstood. I'm not complaining about answering questions or sending pictures. But if a guy writes me and asks a bunch of questions, or requests a bunch of pictures, or asks "is that ammo/scope/extra magazine included," and I respond, I expect a response back. Even if it's just "thanks, but this isn't the gun I'm looking for," I still expect the common courtesy of a response.

It's particularly annoying when the answer to the question couldn't possibly cause them to lose interest in the gun (i.e. they ask "is that optional accessory included" and I say "yes") and they still never respond, implying they never really had a real interest in the gun in the first place. I think there are a lot of guys out there who use the Classified section as their own personal gun show, and ask questions, request pictures and make offers just for their own entertainment with no intent in ever actually buying anything.

+1. While most of my transactions in the classified have been positive, there's no shortage of "time wasters"!

I've also left negative ratings only to find them erased latter. Seems to be a waste of time leaving them.

It would be nice to be able to use the iTrader to help decide who's not worth dealing with

Pete

I've had that happen to me plenty of times. Here, AK files, Gunboards etc... Someone asks you tons of questions to which you reply quickly and completely, then you never hear from them again. [hmmm] That being said, in the 70+ transactions I've done on here, and the well over 100 between other forums, I've never once given or received negative feedback.

I put a disclaimer in my adds now about iTrader. If a buyer blows me off, tries to re negotiate the price in person, pays incorrectly (i.e. a personal check when I specifically say not to do that) or disappears, I will give "less than positive feedback."

Luckily, I haven't had to do that much. I think I've only given out 1 neg (disappearing) and 1 neutral (used personal check) so far out of almost 100 transactions.

Keep everything documented, and make sure the deals, terms and communications are written as much as possible. That way when you hit the person with neutral or negative feedback, if they decide to be gay and give revenge feedback that is not honest you can present it to derek and he can have it removed.

People do need to use negative itrader feedback more often, or at the least neutral when the deal gets screwed up. iTrader is useless if it's only used for positive interactions.

If no deal has been made, I don't consider the transaction to be eligible for feedback. i also believe that is an unofficial rule with itrader on NES. In other words, if the guy is being a clown and asking tons of questions and then runs off, nothing can be done. if the guy says "ok ill take it" and then starts asking tons of questions and runs off, time for less than positive.

I go way out of my way to make deals smooth, fast and professional. If I dont get it back from the other party people will see it in the feedback. a deals a deal. I'm not here to lose money and waste peoples time.

Last edited:
Asking for more pictures isn't a bad thing, but if they say "I'll take it" and go incognito... That would piss me off.

In the first instance, it is perfectly okay to ask for more information about something before committing to buy it. If they decide it is not what they want, no deal was greed upon.
When a deal is agreed upon, and they just drop off the map, I would probably leave them negative iTrader feedback

^This 100%! While I may agree that requests for more info/pics can be annoying, it is part of trying to sell something and should be expected as part of the process. If it is too much hassle for you, then don't bother trying to sell stuff, just trade in at a dealer or something. The ONLY thing that has validity in your gripe inmo is the no show crap once a deal has been made. The tire kicker stuff just comes with the territory, and if it annoys you, don't ever try to sell anything on Craig's list!

It's called "sales".

Here's what you can do: put in your ad, "Serious inquiries only; NO TIRE KICKERS!". Might help.

I've had people ask, will you take $450 for it and when I respond asking when they want to meet they respond with, "oh I don't want to buy it" and according to the NES consensus (per some old thread I made) that's not a deal, just an inquiry and not neg-rep worthy, just someone being a db.

If you get questions, just update the original ad and then PM the guy back. Or PM him with your phone number, if he's not going to pickup the phone then he's not serious. You can settle in a 2 min phone call what takes 4 days to PM back and forth with some people.

Interestingly enough I've found it really depends what you're selling. When I sold my Cobray 11 I had oodles of people PM'in me with all sorts of whacky stuff. I did end up selling it to a very nice NES'r though.

I can see the frustration for people who do not respond back after they ask you questions but I don't see the need for negative iTrader fb as no deal was agreed upon. Sure it wasted a few minutes of your time but, oh well that's something we have to deal with when selling on a public forum. Not everyone is as courteous as we'd like 'em to be.
I only leave iTrader fb for COMPLETED deals, not for people who fail to pm me back. For those people who fail to respond, neg rep 'em.

selling is a pain in the ass, however when i have finally sold an item i have had good experiences with all the buyers--so give yourselves a pat on the back for being good dudes. [cheers]

all you guys who offered me $225 for an unfired after factory refurbishing glock 22 with 100 rounds of ammo, and three magazines are lucky i didn't neg rep every single one of your posts you ever made in addition to hitting you on itrader. you know who you are (must have been four of these dudes, all offering $225, too!). [angry]

I think a lot of people get pm happy and fire off a question or offer without really thinking about whether they're serious about buying or whether they really want the item. That pisses me off as a seller. The flip side is true too. I've bought way more than I've sold on NES but when I send a pm with legit questions and/or an "I'll take it" I expect a realistic response or for the seller to follow through. I have noticed that recently an "I'll take it" followed by plans to meet doesn't necessarily mean it's sold. I've had more than a couple sellers fall through recently (they seem to be new members so maybe they're not used to how to sell something here????). As for tire kickers it's annoying but if you're selling something that's part of dealing with the post.

Last edited:
"Tire kickers" don't bother me, even if they ask a lot of questions and never respond back.

I'm not even bothered by people that say "I'll take it" then disappear - If I don't hear from somebody for a few days I just relist the item.

One of the few things that bugs the crap out of me is someone that sets up a meeting and blows it off. I don't care if I'm buying something, selling something, or giving something away. If someone sets up a meeting and doesn't show or call, they'll get negative feedback. Conversely, I won't sell something to someone that has such feedback, nor will I buy from them.

That goes for people that try to renegotiate at the meeting too.

Last edited:
I can see the frustration for people who do not respond back after they ask you questions but I don't see the need for negative iTrader fb as no deal was agreed upon. Sure it wasted a few minutes of your time but, oh well that's something we have to deal with when selling on a public forum. Not everyone is as courteous as we'd like 'em to be.
I only leave iTrader fb for COMPLETED deals, not for people who fail to pm me back. For those people who fail to respond, neg rep 'em.

This. +1

selling is a pain in the ass, however when i have finally sold an item i have had good experiences with all the buyers--so give yourselves a pat on the back for being good dudes. [cheers]

all you guys who offered me $225 for an unfired after factory refurbishing glock 22 with 100 rounds of ammo, and three magazines are lucky i didn't neg rep every single one of your posts you ever made in addition to hitting you on itrader. you know who you are (must have been four of these dudes, all offering $225, too!). [angry]

i would have given you $250 [wink]

If some of you guys are getting pissed off about people who troll, ask retarded questions or are annoying just ignore the PM's, tell them to beat it, or tell them that you don't want to sell the item to them. I've done all 3. No need to get bent out of shape of people who are in the preliminary stages of a transaction.

The thing that upsets me is the people who post for their "friends". The way i see it, if your friend wants to sell something, let him go green. They call that freeloading where i am from.

I would do it if I said I'll take it and the seller said great and we set a time to meet and they then sell it to someone else. Especially if I had a chance to buy the same item from someone else for cheaper, but did not due to the deal in place and the buy says to eff off. That get neg rep

If some of you guys are getting pissed off about people who troll, ask retarded questions or are annoying just ignore the PM's, tell them to beat it, or tell them that you don't want to sell the item to them. I've done all 3. No need to get bent out of shape of people who are in the preliminary stages of a transaction.

This.

I've had people ask, will you take $450 for it and when I respond asking when they want to meet they respond with, "oh I don't want to buy it" and according to the NES consensus (per some old thread I made) that's not a deal, just an inquiry and not neg-rep worthy, just someone being a db.

I learned that recently. Where I come from, and according to time-honered bargaining tradition, "will you take $xyz for it" is an offer. Reneging on it is dishonorable. I let it go, but in the future I will make it clear that asking me if I'll sell it for a particular price is considered an offer, and I'm not answering just to satisfy someone's curiosity. If you make an offer and don't follow through you get negative feedback. If the moderators/admins decide to delete negative feedback regardless of the circumstances or out of favoritism they ultimately hurt themselves in that it makes the community less valuable.

Wow, when do NES getting so uptight? Where is my chill pills? Red or blue?

Sent it from iPhone 5 LTE

double these.

Wow, when do NES getting so uptight? Where is my chill pills? Red or blue?

Sent it from iPhone 5 LTE

take 'em all. without chet and flintoid i almost don't want to live anymore, either. [laugh]

It's called "sales".

Here's what you can do: put in your ad, "Serious inquiries only; NO TIRE KICKERS!". Might help.

If you get questions, just update the original ad and then PM the guy back. Or PM him with your phone number, if he's not going to pickup the phone then he's not serious. You can settle in a 2 min phone call what takes 4 days to PM back and forth with some people.

Interestingly enough I've found it really depends what you're selling. When I sold my Cobray 11 I had oodles of people PM'in me with all sorts of whacky stuff. I did end up selling it to a very nice NES'r though.

Buyers could care less If you put "firm, serious or whatever you want,

Negging for tire kicking is beyond gay- it's not a transaction till a deal is agreed on. No commitment = no itrader. Maybe the guy just didn't like it or didn't want to commit. If you can't deal with tire kickers, then you should be selling stuff on consignment somewhere instead. As far as time wasters go you need to sniff out the warning signs more often. Sometimes I'll post something and get like 4 PMs from 4 different people. The guy that says "Hey I want this, when can we meet up?" Gets the response... the guy asking for 48 pictures of a bone stock glock and asking stupid ****ing questions about MA compliance and round count... gets ignored. [laugh]

I'd only neg for a serious problem- a blown off meetup, someone not shipping something, or causing a debacle not easily remedied in a deal.

-Mike

if people can handle my ads, i don't see how anyone else's ad would be insufficient unless they totally ignored the template right in each classified section which tells you how to make a good ad.

then again if you take a sample of the population, religion, politics, all other demographics aside--you're going to have a certain percentage of that sample who are just a bunch of complete and total ****wits. guaranteed.

I learned that recently. Where I come from, and according to time-honered bargaining tradition, "will you take $xyz for it" is an offer. Reneging on it is dishonorable. I let it go, but in the future I will make it clear that asking me if I'll sell it for a particular price is considered an offer, and I'm not answering just to satisfy someone's curiosity. If you make an offer and don't follow through you get negative feedback. If the moderators/admins decide to delete negative feedback regardless of the circumstances or out of favoritism they ultimately hurt themselves in that it makes the community less valuable.

Yeah it's bizarre to ask if someone will take less then not buy if you accept. So now when I get those offers I write back with, "do you want to buy it for $x? Let me know if we have a deal and I will mark it sale pending." That way no one gets their feelings hurt because it cuts both way: people make offers then get all pissy when I respond it's sold, as if they had first dibs for some reason.

Another thing, I just won't do meetings anymore for anything that can be shipped (e.g. non firearms). With time and the cost of gas it's just not worth the hassle to meet but I've had people bitch and moan over having to send money or write a check or what not. I guess they might get edgy that they'll get stiffed but I have solid feedback and have been here long enough. All the stuff sells eventually.

I've also had people want to meet without even agreeing to a price, which is a total waste of time--won't do it ever.

Last edited:
One of the few things that bugs the crap out of me is someone that sets up a meeting and blows it off. I don't care if I'm buying something, selling something, or giving something away. If someone sets up a meeting and doesn't show or call, they'll get negative feedback. Conversely, I won't sell something to someone that has such feedback, nor will I buy from them.

Exactly, I consider questions, disappearances, low-ball offers all part of the sales process. If someone commits to show up and doesn't even call to cancel, I would consider negative feedback. Luckily in the few dozen transactions I have done here, they have all been beyond perfect and exceeded my expectations.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom