1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

When do you close up your pool?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Coyote33, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Coyote33

Coyote33

I have waited until late October some years, and even used it in October.

When does everyone here close up? What procedures do you follow?

I just dump what's left of my chlorine in, let it circulate, then drain the pool down to the bottom of the skimmer and return jet, and take all external plumbing in except the filter itself, which I cover. I then put in a tire and a bubble, and tie them in the center, then cover the pool and weigh down the cover. I can't pull it over the edge, because there is an aluminum deck/fence around it,

Just looking for pointers on timing and techniques.

Thanks.

2. Bfatz

Bfatz

Monday, kids have had their fill...plus the water is freezing .

3. center442

center442 NES Member

I'll be closing mine in the next couple of weeks. Too damn cold. A good friend of mine didn't even open his this year. I think we only got about 4 weeks of decent use out of it this summer. I don't know whether to blame global warming or the Halliburton weather machine. [wink]

Usual procedure: one final vacuuming of the bottom, add 4 gallons of chlorine shock, circulate for a couple of days, drain water below skimmer and return, put on mesh cover, put on leaf net, store pump and filter in shed, put all pool equipment, chairs, umbrella etc. away.

Final step: complain to wife about what a pain her pool is! [laugh]

1 person likes this.
  4. squirt

squirt

+1 I hate that f'in pool but the warden and the kids love it. .

5. SMagee

SMagee

My parents also put an anti-freezing concoction in the lines running to the filter (inground pool) then cap them off.

6. cmdwolf

cmdwolf

I have the pool guys close it towards the end of September. The pool is way to much work but like others the wicked witch of the west and kids love it. [smile] I have a professional close my inground. It takes them minutes where it takes me hours...

7. jarhead66

jarhead66

+1 No kids at home anymore. The wife and I have gone in it once this year. I checked last year about either putting a new liner in or having it imploded. The liner was cheaper. Should have bought a sailboat.
    [thinking]

8. EC1

EC1 NES Member

Closed mine up with a backhoe this summer. [smile]

9. Roadblock

Roadblock

You can make a cheap solar heater if you want to get more use out of it...

Basically go to dump, get the heat sink off the back of an old refrigerator (the black thing the freon flows through that gets warm), cut to size...put in wooden frame with aluminum foil backing on plywood...put glass or good plexi-glass over frame...run a line from filter system into one end and out the other...Place facing sun.

You can also do the same thing but using a black hose laid in the sun on the driveway or roof.

You'd be suprised how well these things work. We have 2 neighbors with pools; one family had their pool up to 76 four weeks before the other. Both have roughly the same amount of daily sun.

1 person likes this.
  10. gillis51

gillis51

If it's a D.E. filter don't forget to take it apart and wash off the old D.E. before you store it.

11. upStomp

upStomp

Lucky bastid.

I've pretty much stopped tending to mine for the past 2 weeks. I'll give it one more good cleaning and close it up in a week or so.

12. Bob P

Bob P NES Member

Usually right after Labor Day but we're waiting this year as my youngest is getting Confirmed at the end of the month and we're havign a party. The water's going to be pretty cold, but I've got a bunch of little neices and nephews that don't mind pools in the 70's and I'd rather have them blue and shivvering in the pool then running through my house like crazy people [laugh]

13. zzrider

zzrider

I usually close late October or early November. The later I close it and the earlier I open it, the cleaner the water is when I open it.

Here's what I do:

1) Remove frogs
    2) Chlorine shock
    3) Vacuum
    4) hang the winterizer chemical float, let circulate
    5) backflush filter and draw down the level to below the skimmers and returns
    6) disconnect the intake line ahead of the pump, and with a shop vac set on blow, blow the water out of the skimmers. Put Gizmos in the skimmer intakes
    7) Move the shopvac nozzle downstream of the pump, and blow out the returns. Plug the returns.
    8) Disassemble the filter and clean the grid. I hate this part.
    9) cover pool.

14. Silver74

Silver74

You pretty much nailed it, more or less, remember there are not two pools alike. I have made a few thousand dollars of profit from customers that use the winterizing kits and don’t blow the lines.

15. Moderator

Moderator Moderator NES Member

Hopefully my back will be better this week and I can close my green lagoon.

16. Coyote33

Coyote33

Winterizing kit? Blow the line?

You mean draining to a few inches below the line doesn't cover that?

All the pool and chemical places say not to bother putting in anything other than what's left of the chlorine in the jug. I will probably buy one more jug for the next week or two, and then use the last of that for the Winter.

I think I've got the water and filter side of things down pretty well. It is the cover which always gives me issues.

Please educate me if I did something wrong.

17. Tim94gt

Tim94gt

When I was 16 I used a POS car that I had to heat my pool. I flushed the coolant out and used the engine to heat the pool. If you attach a couple of garden hoses to the coolant system the engine will heat the pool water. We got a 16'x36' inground pool up to 89 degrees from 67 in about an two hours.

to the OP, I usually close the pool the last week of sept. since I wont use it after that.

18. kendall-op

kendall-op

I must have read your book, I close it the same way.

19. jdubois

jdubois

I dunno. I just got my pool a month ago and have just barely gotten it all fixed (previous home owners didn't know what the word 'maintenance' means) and learned how to keep it stable. I figured I'd wait till it got a bit colder before I closed so I'd reduce the chance of algae growth.

20. News Shooter

News Shooter

I just can't imagine having a pool in this climate. In Dallas we could swim in the pool all year round. In January I could kick it up with the heater. The only time you couldn't swim was in August when the water was too hot. No way to cool it down

21. Silver74

Silver74

I can't send you a PM you need to empty your inbox. I can help you better over the phone PM me.

22. jobowker

jobowker

I found that a heat pump greatly extends the season. It's an above ground so winterizing is much easier (no lines to blow out) than an inground. The combination of a solar cover and heat pump really helps to make the season longer, and as someone mentioned above, the longer you keep it open, the easier it is to open in the spring.

23. Coyote33

Coyote33

Getting chilly. Almost jumped in today after mowing.

24. gulfmp

gulfmp NES Member

Closed it this am. 24' round. I vac, drain to skimmer/return level, add 3 gallons chlorine and 1/2 bottle of algicide, cover with mesh cover. Done-see you in June!

25. NHDaveK

NHDaveK

Spent 25 years in pool business opened and closed well over 2500 pools in that time,from simple filter only to 150k raised bound beam,spa, groto,water fall, negative edge monsters.
    Most of what is posted is pretty good but some quick tips.

First,as to antifreeze mentioned earlier,you really don't need it if lines are blown out correctly however for homeowners self closing its not a bad idea.Use ONLY the alcohol based RV stuff NOT car antifreeze.

Next "gizzmos"; never used them.The line should be plugged with a high quality rubber plug with nylon wingnut.For ice expansion an empty bottle (the algicide you put in works fine) with a rock to hold it down will work fine.

As posted before (inground pools) all lines should be blown out,use compressor,shop vac if powerful enough (we used industrial blowers as we had 80-100 lines a day to blow out) ,draining will not clear the line of water.Also many lines are under water when being blown out.Spa should be drained so mains drains can be blown then refilled

Remove all drain plugs in fliter,pump(s)heater(place plugs in pump basket so you can find them in the spring) and blow out equipt as well.No need to clean filter at closing (does not hurt of course but should be inspected before opening pool) just do it at opening if you want.Shut off power to pumps at the breakers in the house,shut off gas to heater at the heater (gas line shut off)

Pool should be clean (no leaves) and drained 6-12 under skimmer (solid cover) and 2 ft or more (about level of light-which should be pulled up on deck or sunk) for mesh covers.

Chem treatment will vary with type (liner,plaster) and cover (mesh should have a floater of chlorine if plaster/painted finish) but they all need to be shocked and a good grade of algiside ("poly" or "quat").
    Remove all ladders,diving boards fill lines,pool cleaners and store inside.

Hope that helps,happy to answer questions,been retired for 13 years now and happy to be done sticking my hands/arms in ice cold water for 2 months but the money was nice !

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  26. center442

center442 NES Member

Closed mine yesterday. I'll have my son help me put on the leaf net this week. I no longer use the solid cover. The water is actually clearer when I open it in the spring without the cover. The leaf net will come off later this fall after the leaves are off the trees.

27. Maxspeed

Maxspeed

Closed mine yesterday.

28. kiver

kiver

still using mine

29. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Closed two days ago.

Added some extra chemicals. When I open it every spring the water is crystal clear, just like the day I closed it.

30. Moderator

Moderator Moderator NES Member

I closed my pool permanently last year. Don't miss it one bit.[wink]