• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When did the ATF start enforcing jaywalking?

Keep the kids inside. Turn on sprinklers. Make some lunch.
my only take there was the same - WHY she even started talking to that scum outside as long as kids were already inside? women...
but at least she had enough life experience to know how not to cooperate with them, ever, and that was good enough.

Local newspaper report. (Disclaimer -- My Mother-in-Law was an editor at this newspaper for many years):

The so-called "Patrol Impact Team" is a fairly new operation whose stated mission is "to target gun violence specifically and try to remove some of the guns from the streets of Lorain." So it's not surprising that they want to show off to the ATF. The tactics are anything but new; they evolved out of the aftermath of Terry v. Ohio. Observing a minor infraction like Jaywalking allows the cop to stop, frisk, and shakedown their targets without the pesky question of "reasonable suspicion" arising. It's the urban equivalent of "driving while black" in some suburbs.

So I view the ATF's involvement in this as trivial; the Lorain police simply got caught doing exactly what that unit was designed to do.

Assuming the reason given in the report is the truth (investigating a shooting that just recently happened) I get why they wanted to talk to the kids. And I get why they didn't want to say the actual reason. But little more respect and a little more candor would have gotten them 100x's further than whatever that display of chest thumping and empty threats are. Hope the woman gets paid.
According to the alledged police report transcript the shooting took place almost a year before. Looks like pure racial profiling by at least the towny, if not both.

Who remembers in the. . . mid-70's when Boston was trying to crack down on jaywalking. Cracking down on jaywalking. In Boston. [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

I still, when in a busy city atmosphere tell whomever I'm with, "Just stick on my hip. I go, you go. I stop, you stop. Don't look, just follow what I do." My wife has a REAL hard time with that. LOL.

Who remembers in the. . . mid-70's when Boston was trying to crack down on jaywalking. Cracking down on jaywalking. In Boston. [rofl] [rofl] [rofl]

I still, when in a busy city atmosphere tell whomever I'm with, "Just stick on my hip. I go, you go. I stop, you stop. Don't look, just follow what I do." My wife has a REAL hard time with that. LOL.

They tried that in Pittsburgh years ago, but finally gave up and just said, "If you get hit by a bus, it will be your fault."

Who remembers in the. . . mid-70's when Boston was trying to crack down on jaywalking. Cracking down on jaywalking. In Boston.

I wasn’t in the area then, but in February I walked against a red light directly towards a BPD officer who was standing in the island. I even asked him to give me a $1 jaywalking ticket. He refused.

Had he written the ticket I would have paid it and framed the thing. It’s a true rarity.

They tried that in Pittsburgh years ago, but finally gave up and just said, "If you get hit by a bus, it will be your fault."

I almost did in NYC. I was trying to cross the street. So I'm in the crosswalk (LIKE IN THE FREAKING CROSSWALK!) off the curb. Waiting. Bus is coming up the bus lane. BUT I'M IN THE CROSSWALK.

Some guy from behind me grabs my jacket and pulls me back. "They don't stop - they will hit you." [rofl]

Jaywalking is a God-given right in Boston. Mostly b/c their traffic lights have sucked for a century or so. Maybe they're better today. I recall the old push-button crosswalk mechanism were mostly for show. Sort of like the CLOSE DOOR button in most elevators. You can press it. It does nothing. I recall those days in Boston.

I couldn't imagine walking without jaywalking. It's boring. The excitement of "can I get across?" adds a video-game aspect to a cross-town jaunt.

Women don't like being told what to do surprisingly

Women don't like being told what to do surprisingly

Yet every other woman is fine. She somehow wants to be in charge. She's sort of like emotional tofu. If I'm doing something, she has to do it too. Ergo, she can't sit on my hip. She just starts and stops. Not looking correctly. Starting and stopping. It's dangerous. I go SLOWEST with her on my hip.

What is funny is that she was AMAZING at Boston Jaywalking back when we worked there all the time. It's like she lost the skill. Me? It's riding a bike.

Oh yeah, referring to my post above... thexsame guy that got the jaywalking ticket had his license suspended multiple times for too many tickets. Insists on being a dickhead when pulled over. I've been pulled over just as many times and have 1 ticket to show for it.

If I was her, I would say 'If you know he has a gun, or that he broke the laew, go see a judge, get an arrest warrant, and we will see you in Court. Now leave the property.'

the problem will be if there was some ATF task force and the city officer was deputized as a Fed as part of the inter agency co-operation, because at that point the City will say it was a Federal investigation, and the Feds will cry Qualified immunity.

Notice they didn't come back with a warrant to search the house for any weaponry.

I thought gangs were illegal, yet there they are on her lawn threatening her and ready to perform a home invasion

This video has the Lorain Chief's response presentation and the body cam video. Redacted to omit the cops yelling demands. The first half has no audio you can read slides and speed through to the footage at the end.
Comments are spot on - feel free to add your comments;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFXF1S_mqCM

Back
Top Bottom