When did MA start requiring registration of firearms?

I seem to recall a prior thread where we tried to figure that out.

I do not know but am certain that it was 1968 or earlier. From a brief conversation with the person who I believe was the first FRB Director, it sounds like it was started a long time before that, but I don't really know.

I do not know but am certain that it was 1968 or earlier. From a brief conversation with the person who I believe was the first FRB Director, it sounds like it was started a long time before that, but I don't really know.

I thought we didn't have registration.

Transfers must be recorded but that doesn't cover people moving here from other states. I would guess there are a shitload of guns in this state that are not FA10'd.

I believe it was 1968, with the carbon copy forms Goal confirms: http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/masslawsfid.html

I forget what year the flood at 1010 Comm ave was, but every form that was stored in the basement was wiped out. 1982 ? maybe ??

I think that may be more urban legend than truth. I've helped quite a few guys in here with their lists of what they've transferred over the years, and a lot of those blue cards that we thought had drowned were still in there. I'd love to get the actual story of that flood tho.

If you move to Mass from out of state you're not required to fill out FA-10's for the firearms that you bring into the state?

If you move to Mass from out of state you're not required to fill out FA-10's for the firearms that you bring into the state?

Nope. As 45collector said, it's when the gun is transferred/sold to someone else after moving into MA, then a FA10 is required obviously.

I think that may be more urban legend than truth. I've helped quite a few guys in here with their lists of what they've transferred over the years, and a lot of those blue cards that we thought had drowned were still in there. I'd love to get the actual story of that flood tho.

not the blue cards, before that it was a triplicate carbon form, that was the original in use until the blue cards in the 80/90's. I still have some of my copies

Yes, we've discussed this before. The earliest mention of reporting requirements I was able to find was when MGL 140-128A and 128B were codified by Chapter 737 of The Acts Of 1968.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-buying-ammo?p=2728039&viewfull=1#post2728039

You are right, largely urban legend. I'll be posting more and a correction shortly, just waiting on some info from a Mod first.

Other bad info in this thread too.

Yes, we've discussed this before. The earliest mention of reporting requirements I was able to find was when MGL 140-128A and 128B were codified by Chapter 737 of The Acts Of 1968.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-buying-ammo?p=2728039&viewfull=1#post2728039

I suspect that you are correct.

Back
Top Bottom