• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

When deciding your EDC......

DarkJoker33

NES Member
How much does the potential of actually using it, keep you from picking a certain firearm?
Because if its actually used you essentially lose it and any investments in improvements you made to it to an evidence bin that may or may not have been "miss filed" and lost.

I know its just a material item and it can be replaced.
For instance, I want to carry my beretta 92. But id be pissed if I lost it too the bin for i guess centimental reasons that im considering on buying another so i dont lose that particular one

I 2nd @dgrantdoherty the 92fs/m9 is a great handgun, but a bit cumbersome to conceal carry due to size and weight. Even with a belly band or good IWB holster. It's hard to conceal for me as a thin guy in anything that's not winter jacket. I'll carry a G17, sure, but a 92 is just pretty heavy to have at work all day.

FYI if you use your gun even in a squeaky clean shoot, anything EFA-10'd to you is getting taken when they suspend your LTC.

Size would for me.
To answer your question. I only carry what I trust. But I wouldn't carry something sentimental.
Centurion variety, I snagged a centurion slide with the intent to carry when i bought it, Then this thought crossed my mind.
I trust 92's.
Carrying a full size doesnt bother me much either.

Centurion variety, I snagged a centurion slide with the intent to carry when i bough it, Then this thogh crossed my mind.
I trust 92's.
Carrying a full size doesnt bother me much either.
Then there really isnt an issue. Carry what you'll actually carry. As soon as you don't grab it one day because you felt a little lazy. Change it up

I have a 96 as well. 🤫

Take cover
Disengage safety
Pull trigger
Count to 3
Throw gun

KABOOOOOM

j/k

seriously if you can carry a 92 comfortably you can carry anything. I'm more of a 226 guy but the 92s are really accurate and their single action isn't bad. I'm not a fan of the safety or the thickness or the weight. Seriously the things weigh as much as an AR pistol

Take cover
Disengage safety
Pull trigger
Count to 3
Throw gun

KABOOOOOM

j/k

seriously if you can carry a 92 comfortably you can carry anything. I'm more of a 226 guy but the 92s are really accurate and their single action isn't bad. I'm not a fan of the safety or the thickness or the weight. Seriously the things weigh as much as an AR pistol
the 226 isnt a svelt swimsuit model itself

I don't give it even a moment's thought.

I've got about three EDCs in the rotation at any given time, and 90% of the decision about which one to carry revolves around what I'm going to be doing (standing, sitting, walking, driving, what have you). Then there's the other 9% that takes into account what I want to wear.

Every other consideration is about 1% of my carry decision.

How much does the potential of actually using it, keep you from picking a certain firearm?
Because if its actually used you essentially lose it and any investments in improvements you made to it to an evidence bin that may or may not have been "miss filed" and lost.

I know its just a material item and it can be replaced.
For instance, I want to carry my beretta 92. But id be pissed if I lost it too the bin for i guess centimental reasons that im considering on buying another so i dont lose that particular one
In MA, if you ever had to use a gun, they will confiscate ALL your guns and LTC. The chances of ever getting any of them back usually is infinitesimal. And PDs don't store guns carefully either, plus have a tendency to engrave the case number into the gun's surface.

If you actually use it and get charged with murder, your defense will cost over $100k. The cost of your gun at that point will be meaningless.

So, no, the fact that my gun would be seized as evidence has had absolutely zero consideration about what I carry. You are worrying about the wrong thing and not worrying about what you should be worrying about.

Last edited:
In MA, if you ever had to use a gun, they will confiscate ALL your guns and LTC. The chances of ever getting any of them back usually is infinitesimal. And PDs don't store guns carefully either, plus have a tendency to engrave the case number into the gun's surface.
Beat me to it, I was under the impression You don't just lose that one but all of them.

That’s crossed my mind. Then you think about what you’ve paid in insurance over the years on your house, cars, health, and everything else a firearm ends up being small change. Think of it as supplemental life insurance. I have a Galco shoulder rig for the Beretta. More of a novelty accessory for it as I don’t really carry it. My shtf gun. With one preban 15 round magazine I can suit up with 25 rounds 🤠

I think a lot of this would depend on the circumstances of use and the town the event occurred in, this comes off as a little bit of fear mongering.
If you are truly in fear for your life and you use your weapon to defend yourself, the alternative to not using it is death (maybe). point is if you are alive to lose everything you own it is still a win.

That's a new bit of news to me.
I thought it was just the firearm that was used on the event.

Which raises another question in my mind.
Being whats the real point of carrying than?

Yes defense of course. And keep on living.
But if all your defensive capabilities are taken after one event and everything is taken.
Along with the probability of never getting anything back.
Would I also then lose my ability to carry/own for the rest of my life if found not at fault/not guilty?

If you actually use it and get charged with murder, your defense will cost over $100k. The cost of your gun at that point will be meaningless.

So, no, the fact that my gun would be seized as evidence has had absolutely zero consideration about what I carry. You are worrying about the wrong thing and not worrying about what you should be worrying about.
I'm aware of the bigger picture part.
Just wanted to see the consensus of the participants in the thread

That's a new bit of news to me.
I thought it was just the firearm that was used on the event.

Which raises another question in my mind.
Being whats the real point of carrying than?
I think @Len-2A Training is being a bit dramatic, there are plenty of people in MA that have discharged their firearm in lawful self defence with no charges filed, no arrest, and no confiscation of their firearm collection, So Len is just plain incorrect that it WILL happen, of course it May happen based on the circumstances. It is true however the weapon used will be taken during the investigation, This happened in my town about 15 years ago, no charges to the shooter, no ruined life, no prolonged court battles, no loss of LTC, no confiscated collection. So many people try to instill fear into gun owners over justifiable self defence.
If you are a cowboy, shooting at retreating targets or vehicles, with excessive round count, over verbal altercations etc... without imminent threat to your life.... well, this is not Florida or Texas, so what you see in the news does not apply here in MA, but basic justified protection of your life and family dose. personally I believe in being well informed on the law, But many here in MA want gun owners to be in fear of justifiably defending their life and spread misinformation

Last edited:
No consideration. If I loved my gray grandads model 60 I would carry it.
If you’re worried about losing it buy a different model 60 to carry.

Depends what you mean by "improvements". Guns with gucci improvements or sentimental value can stay in a safe. Performance improvements that will help with shooting and keeping me alive are worth carrying and potentially getting confiscated or damaged. I don't really have any sentimental attachment to any of my guns so if any of them get marred or damaged, it's an excuse to be more rough with it.

Curious about the confiscation though. Has there been any recent event in which someone involved in a good shoot had everything confiscated?

Depends what you mean by "improvements". Guns with gucci improvements or sentimental value can stay in a safe. Performance improvements that will help with shooting and keeping me alive are worth carrying and potentially getting confiscated or damaged. I don't really have any sentimental attachment to any of my guns so if any of them get marred or damaged, it's an excuse to be more rough with it.

Curious about the confiscation though. Has there been any recent event in which someone involved in a good shoot had everything confiscated?
Exactly. My Gen 5 Glock has Talon grip tape, 10-8 suppressor height sights, an RMR on the slide, extended slide stop, etc. All in, I've got a fair chunk of money in it. But it's nothing I can't replace.

Back
Top Bottom