When a Lib Goes to the NRA Convention...

JonJ

NES Member
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/column/smith/index.php?ntid=84638&ntpid=1

Lampert Smith: NRA card in my warm hand

Susan Lampert Smith
May 20, 2006
MILWAUKEE - I am the NRA. Really!

I had to join the National Rifle Association Friday to get into the "acres of guns and gear" exhibit at the gun group's annual convention.

Figuring it will be a cold day here in Liberal Hades before the NRA ever brings its national convention to town, I headed down Interstate 94 to check out a different culture.

Was it worth it? Totally. I picked up enough pro-gun freebies and gear to annoy all my liberal friends back in Madison.

For my vegetarian boss, there were copies of Ted Nugent's cookbook, "Kill 'Em and Grill 'Em." For my dad the municipal judge, a bumper sticker that reads "Soft Judges Make Hardened Criminals." I'm keeping the mini-Glock keychain and the bumper sticker with the classic Charlton Heston quote: "From my cold dead hands."

I now know where to buy camo nighties and thongs in the mossy oak pattern. They're from "The Formal Sportsman," located, most excellently, on Chippendale Lane in Port Matilda, Pa. For the gents, the company offers camo tuxedos and camo dress shoes to ease those painful occasions when dressing up is required.

I think the "Got Sig?" women's T- shirts would solve the Downtown Madison mugging issue. Those thugs would think twice if they thought Badger co-eds were packing Sig Sauer handguns. Of course, this assumes the thugs:

A) Can read.

B) Know what a Sig is.

As I listened to my radio on the way, conservative talkers Charlie Sykes and Jeff Wagner assured me that there would be no safer place in the world than downtown Milwaukee with 60,000 NRA members, "Freedom's 2nd Army," on the watch. Earlier, Madison talker Vicki McKenna said that despite what we in the liberal media will tell you, there are no freaks at an NRA convention.

Is she right?

Sure, as long as your idea of normal is a crowd that is 100 percent white, mostly older, and mostly male.

I attended a different convention at the Midwest Express Center exactly a year ago. The Milwaukee Bead and Button Show was an estrogen-fest of women pawing over displays of expensive shiny things. This weekend's NRA trade show was a testostorone-fest of men pawing over somewhat larger and more expensive shiny things.

The main difference is political. About as mean as it gets at a bead show are T-shirts that read, "Not Tonight Honey, I'm Beading."

But at the NRA event, I was greeted by Del Ellefson a "Washington County Republican" wearing an anti-Gov. Jim Doyle placard. Inside, the NRA was giving out dump truck stickers that read "Dump Doyle." And there was former Milwaukee Sentinel food editor Lee Aschoff wearing a denim shirt that read "Dump Doyle," on the front, and, on the back, "and Baghdad Russ, too."

Wow, don't see many of those in Madison.

Around 2 p.m., we all trooped over to the U.S. Cellular Arena to see Ted Nugent open the convention.

Behind me, three men expressed their admiration for the rocker-hunter-gun lover from Michigan.

"Wouldn't want to be a liberal around him!"

"I think the John Birch Society is too liberal."

"I'm to the right of the Spanish Inquistion."

Were they talking so loud because they could tell I was from Madison? Did I give off Liberal-aroma? Could they smell vegan bratwurst on my breath?

At the Arena, I was glad that no one knew that the last show I saw there was the anti-Bush Dixie Chicks.

I watched NRA president Sandy Froman, who looks like a fourth-grade teacher in her pretty flowered scarf, introduce the crazed looking Nugent. As he ripped into the National Anthem on his Tony-the-Tiger striped guitar, I recalled the last time I saw him live: 30 years ago at Bicentennial Fest at the Rockford Speedway. Who knew he'd become a law-and-order type?

And who knew Nugent would become the answer to the trivia question: Who uttered the naughtiest word ever said over the airwaves of Wisconsin Public Radio? Larry Meiller still chokes when he talks about it.

My reverie ended as Nugent hit the last chords of "The Star Spangled Banner." Suddenly, I realized that I was the only person in an arena filled with flag-wagging, gun-loving people who did not stand, with hand over heart. Suddenly, I felt thousands of glaring eyes.

Suddenly, I felt a little less safe in downtown Milwaukee.

I slunk out a side entrance and didn't relax until I crossed the Dane County line.

Cross-cultural visits are nice, but I feel safer among my own.

Contact Susan Lampert Smith at [email protected] or 252-6121.

f*** you, bitch. Would you like us to attend one of those Dixie Twits concert with a pro-Bush T-shirt and see how nicely we're treated? Or perhaps "your own" can explain the horribly racist comments currently being hurled at Michelle Malkin, particularly the "does she do that thing with ping pong balls" comment about her video. f*** off and die, you hypocritical douchebag.

I'm sorry folks, but flaming hypocrites really set off my pissed-off meter.

Jay G said:
f*** you, bitch. Would you like us to attend one of those Dixie Twits concert with a pro-Bush T-shirt and see how nicely we're treated? Or perhaps "your own" can explain the horribly racist comments currently being hurled at Michelle Malkin, particularly the "does she do that thing with ping pong balls" comment about her video. f*** off and die, you hypocritical douchebag.

I'm sorry folks, but flaming hypocrites really set off my pissed-off meter.

Well, you could always join the forum and post your comments under the article thread.

Martlet said:
Well, you could always join the forum and post your comments under the article thread.

I thought about it, actually. But that's way too much work for a comment that will inevitably be deleted anyways...

Jay G said:

Amen

P.S...Someone needs to find her and tear up her NRA card in front of her.

People like that make me feel justified in stereotyping liberals.. It disgusts me in so many unimaginable ways.

Suddenly, I felt a little less safe in downtown Milwaukee.

I slunk out a side entrance and didn't relax until I crossed the Dane County line.

Reading that article, I see nothing that makes me think she encountered hostility anywhere other than in her own imagination.

I don't exactly look like a stereotypical gun-owner: I drive a Volvo wagon and have hair long enough to use as a cover garment. I've received nothing but friendly treatment from folks at the range or gun show. I think she's letting her expectations drive her reactions.

"My reverie ended as Nugent hit the last chords of "The Star Spangled Banner." Suddenly, I realized that I was the only person in an arena filled with flag-wagging, gun-loving people who did not stand, with hand over heart. Suddenly, I felt thousands of glaring eyes."

So she's admitting that she's disrespectful as well. Citizen or not, agree with our leadership/government or not, the ONLY people excused from respecting the flag/national anthem are the truly elderly and infirm who are unable to stand.

Chris

ChristosX said:
"My reverie ended as Nugent hit the last chords of "The Star Spangled Banner." Suddenly, I realized that I was the only person in an arena filled with flag-wagging, gun-loving people who did not stand, with hand over heart. Suddenly, I felt thousands of glaring eyes."

So she's admitting that she's disrespectful as well. Citizen or not, agree with our leadership/government or not, the ONLY people excused from respecting the flag/national anthem are the truly elderly and infirm who are unable to stand.

Chris

I think you just didn't get the memo, Chris. We are only supposed to stand when the Star Spangled Banner when it is sang in SPANISH, and you are to turn and face the American Flag ONLY if it is UPSIDE DOWN at the time [rolleyes]

I never feel safer when I'm with a group of friend, all of whom are licened to pack heat.

Arrrr

-Weer'd

ChristosX said:

Chris

And that's why she was uncomfortable. She found herself in a room full of Americans while she was disrespecting them. Not a smart thing to do.

Weer'd Beard said:
I never feel safer when I'm with a group of friend, all of whom are licened to pack heat.

I know folks who think I'm weird to think that, and they just look at me like I'm speaking Martian when I point out that they're my friends, and they're law-abiding citizens. Why should I fear them?

Some folks just do NOT understand that a gun is not the One Ring and does NOT turn it's owner to evil. *shaking head*

ChristosX said:

Chris

I've even seen the very elderly and infirm stand for the National Anthem.

What the hell was the point of that? I don't like you so I'll compare you to ladies excited about butter dishes nad the freakin dixie chicks? The national anthem part was the tell all of that entire diatribe.

What an ass. (pun intended).

dwarven1 said:
I know folks who think I'm weird to think that, and they just look at me like I'm speaking Martian when I point out that they're my friends, and they're law-abiding citizens. Why should I fear them?

Some folks just do NOT understand that a gun is not the One Ring and does NOT turn it's owner to evil. *shaking head*

Not just lawful citizens, but here in Mass, lawful citizens who have been raked over hot coals just because they see the 2nd ammendment as THAT important. I think that says a very lot!

-Weer'd Beard

ChristosX said:
...the ONLY people excused from respecting the flag/national anthem are the truly elderly and infirm who are unable to stand.

Well, being a liberal, she's mentally ill. Does that count?

[rofl]

If you can't feel safe at a gun show/range/event, you can't feel safe anywhere. I've lived and been all over the world, and I've truly never met a group of people so genuinely and sincerely kind as gun owners.

Back
Top Bottom