Wheelgunners sound off

I also am lookng for a 357 for the RI State Police pistol series. Most folks recomend a S&W, 6 " barrel. How about some input? I have shot a few revolvers, never owned one, so I could use your advice. I don't want to lay down too much $$$, but I also don't want to buy something I grow out of in a month or so. BTW, if you have something to sell let me know.

I've not followed the development of wheel guns for many years. However, back in the day, S&W in my opinion, produced the best with the smoothest trigger pull. A 66 was hard to beat.

My favorites are a couple of Smiths. I've got a 6" 686 from one of the first production runs. It could use a tiny bit of trigger work, but I'm probably spoiled in that area. The other one is a 2" 66 that I got from a friend who's former Secret Service. The trigger is absolute glass and breaks like it. I'd look at either model. The 686 is a bit heavier than a 66 with the same barrel length, particularly toward the muzzle due to the full length lug. As a result it will have a bit less climb during recoil. The 66 is currently being made only in 2-1/2" and 4". The 686 comes in 2-1/2", 4", 5" and 6". The used to ship the 686 (and possible the 66) with longer barrels.

Ken

I've poked around on the revolver forum over at the firing line and done some reading about S&W wheelguns, as I would like to be able to plink with .38 and make big, expensive booms on occasion. There are a lot of guys who are perfectly happy with the newer S&W guns. There are at least as many others who dislike the newer guns because of the heavier trigger, key locks, two-piece barrels, flanged muzzles, frame-mounted firing pins, and MIM casting process used nowadays. I expect the folks here may have similarly divergent opinions on old vs new Smiths. I'd like to do a little comparrison myself. I think the 686 looks like a damn nice example of a "modern" Smith .357 magnum. What I'd like to know is, what model and age (serial number range) should I look for to find the best of the old-school, hand-fitted Smith .357s? Are any of the "good" old Smiths available in stainless steel? It seems like a lot of the guys who like the older guns really prefer blued steel over stainless. I like the look and durability of stainless myself.

Back
Top Bottom