• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wheelgunner goes left handed Glock?

NH-GP100

NES Member
OK, heres the deal.

As handguns go, I have always been a revolver guy - with one exception...

I have owned a Single Six forever, which is what I have spent the bulk of my time with over loe these many years. I have fired many, many other handguns, and always was drawn to revolvers. Every semi-auto I ever fired I felt, at best, was "This doesn't suck" vs "I like this" for most revolvers I have fired - again, with lone exception...

A very good friend owned a GP-100, which i put much of my own ammo through as it was never one of his favorites. We parted ways (just life, nothing personal...) some years ago. i was going to buy one when life intervened again I had to set some stuff aside. Picked up one a while back, NIB late model 6" SS. I love it.

Another friend in another part of the world had a Super Blackhawk he let me use (sorta...) for a while with a holster rig that was right handed and slung low on the thigh. While 44 mag is fun for a bit for me I can't spend all day at the range with it.

I *CAN* shoot light handloaded (4.0 gr TB under 140 to 159gr lead "mouse fart") .38 all day. Normally I shoot that for a while, then a few cylinders full of .38sp, same .38 +p and finish the day (for that one) with 2 or 3 cylinders of .357 mag.

It's fun. I do OK, (nothing earth shattering, prolly pretty average point-wise if I was keeping score) and enjoy myself.

I plan on getting a real nice belt/drop loop/holster from Diamond D Custom Leather soon, the cheap belt holster I have now just feels unright. Also plan on trying to find some of the older model grips with nice wood insets and seeing how they feel on the range. Since I shoot mostly light stuff they should be fine.

So. Wheelgun guy. Except for this....

A while back another friend had a Glock 23 (.40 S&W). Let me run a few mags through it - "try it, you'l like it..." - "Nah, I hate semi-autos".

It was *GOOD* - I *LIKED* it. The only bottom feeder I *LIKED*. A freakin' GLOCK of all things...

So, I handled a bunch of .40 S&W Glocks at my LGSs.

The 4th gen 22/23/27 all just didn't seem right. Something about how they seemed to work.

The 27 seemed too small. I never felt comfortable with wicked small guns, and while I know you can get extensions for the G27 it still just didn't seen right.

The 22 seemed OK, but almost too big for what it was. It "fit" ok but didn't feel right.

Right. Gotta be a 3rd gen G23.

Picked it up from my favorite LGS today. Got some other stuff as well. See here FMI - http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...acquisitions-march-2013-a-38.html#post3067693

Ok, here is the weird thing. It's a RH holster (Safariland Concealment), and for some reason a cross-draw setup sorta seemed right. That said, it is NOT an angled rig, it is a RH holster to wear on the right, but it seemed to fit just right on the left, if for a slightly awkward crossdraw.

So, I get home, play with holster setups - unloaded, no ammo in the mags, triple check the chamber, put the ammo in the safe, verify clear several times again.

left side, no angle, left draw with left hand from RH holster (so butt/mag forward), get sight picture with little problem, took a few draws but seemed to sorta "fell in" after that. Mag eject just works - pops into right hand, swap for new with right, no problem. repeat. No problem.

I have *NEVER* fired *ANY* gun left handed. Never. Not even once...

Move to right side where the GP would be. Nope.

Spent all night with it on the left. It works.

Saturday I go out to "The Range" in Maine. I plan on putting it through its paces, but with the GP on the right and the G23 on the left.

Is there something wrong with me? Am I broken? A wheelgunner shooting lefty with a G23? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS!

Range report later if folks want....

There's nothing better than having to decide which to shoot. Revolver or Pistol.
I have a Glock 17 and always enjoy shooting with it.
Good Luck and have fun.
Best regards.

OK, heres the deal.

Gotta be a 3rd gen G23.

I have *NEVER* fired *ANY* gun left handed. Never. Not even once...

Move to right side where the GP would be. Nope.

Spent all night with it on the left. It works.

Saturday I go out to "The Range" in Maine. I plan on putting it through its paces, but with the GP on the right and the G23 on the left.

Is there something wrong with me? Am I broken? A wheelgunner shooting lefty with a G23? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS!

Range report later if folks want....
Using the correct holsters will solve your problems. However, as a firearm instructor, I always tell my students to learn to operate a firearm with either hand, whether wheel-gun or a semi-auto, especially if you carry for self-defense. If you get yourself into a SHTF situation and lose the use of your right hand or arm, more than likely it might be too late to learn to shoot with your left hand. So, by all means, practice with your off hand to get the feel for handling the firearm, magazine changes, and the proper feel for trigger control.

Huh?? I put 35,000 rounds through my G34 left handed and never got hit once. He won't even notice the brass going by.

Welcome to the dark side.

A family member of mine is a southpaw, and a former shooter. I asked him what it was like shooting pistols and his old shotgun... he responded that he got used to **** flying past and into his face.

[shrug]

Range Report!

It was a glorious spring day in Southwestern Maine with highs in the mid-50's and clear sunlit skys!

Went to a buddys place out that way, he has what amounts to a pistol pit we can reasonably get 150' out of dug into the side of a hill on some land he does tree growth, pile of slash at the end that you can prop clays/whatever on, etc. Had boxes for target stands with printed 8 1/2 x 11 targets as well as some other random stuff that was downrange for plinking at (large styrofoam float, some empty 2 liter bottles, etc). Brought the tape measure out and measured off 33' (10 Meters), 50' and 100' marks.

House is owned by a friend of a very good friend ("BT"), BT rents a small suite from him, both are old HS buddys with simler interests - including guns and fireworks.

First up: the 6" Ruger GP-100 - cylinder full of .357 downrange to start the day JUST BECAUSE!

BT isn't really a "Gun Guy" per-se, loves shooting but only has had the opportunity now and then, doesn't own any of his own guns (yet...), is pretty with us on 2A issues but not really active in anything related to it.

Host owns a few of his own, same views, but again not really active at a political level.

So, BT hadn't fired the GP yet so I hooked him up. After a safety and proper handling review had him load up some mouse farts and send some downrange. He instantly fell in love with it.

After a few go-rounds with them he was able to keep most of them on the paper, um, mostly, firing SA. "Good Enough" I say, time to move up. Point him to the .38sp factory loads, try to give him an idea of differences. After a few rounds he was again able to keep them on paper mostly. Move up to .357. He has fired a couple Rugers in .44 mag, so he had some idea what to expect. Only one cylinder full, wasn't much to his liking over the long haul. Host runs a few through her next.

OK, now I am getting itchy to try out the G23. My turn....

12 loaded in the mag, none in chamber, RH holster mounted left. Left hand dropped naturally, drew, loaded, 12 rounds at the 10m bull at a reasonable pace, all 12 on paper first time out, eject mag/swap new from belt, chamber, 9 of 12 on paper firing faster.

I really, really like this gun...

After that I switched back to the GP for a bit running .357 and my buddies tried the Glock. BT didn't like it at all, but mostly because he has big hands and terrible form. Said he would like it if it was bigger (G22 would be a better option for him I guess). Host has fired a number of Glocks, but none in .40

I wasn't really able to sight it in, the "firing line" was a downed tree about 3' off the ground and I couldn't really brace well enough to say that a round hit where it should vs my form and abilities. Since I was on paper (I wouldn't call it a "Group" so much...) and/or able to hit my somewhat larger targets I called it good for now. Once my bench rest shows up (stupid FedEx...) I will actually try to sight it in.

I also had my Mini-30 ranch w/3-9 scope and my 10/22 with me that both needed to be sighted in - the tree was a good enough brace for me to do so with the long guns

The Mini-30 is also new-to-me, scope was a cheap used one I picked up when I got the gun, they mounted and borescoped for me. Was pretty close to on at 100' (yea, I know, thats a short range, but it's what it has and I can adjust elevation) and got that dialed in. I knew about it's issue with some ammo, got it sighted in with the Fiocchi and ran a couple boxes through it. Very nice... I had picked up some Golden Tiger and some TulAmmo as well (I know, I wanted to see for myself) - 30-40% fail to fire. Wow...

The 10/22 I have a rail on the scope mounts that I can still use the stock iron sights with. I had to take the scope off for some reason when I moved and was just using it with the iron sights, but I remounted it and got that sighted in at 50'. Had a little fun with that one, but prolly only ran 30 or 40 rounds through it.

Anyway, back to the Glock.

I spent a fair amount of time with the GP firing .357 on the right and the G23 on the left (Rem-UMC MegaPack 180gr) firing various one and two gun rounds and doing, well, OK, for the most part. Not competition class by any stretch but still, mostly hitting the target or the paper. My last round was 2 gun at a rather fast pace and I hit all 12/6. I figured that was likely the best round I had all day and the light was starting to fade a bit so BT ran a few more through the GP while I just sorta plinked another mag full of the Glock and we called it "A good day at the range"

I didn't try firing the GP left handed, I didn't see the post about that until I got home and I didn't occur to me to try it when I was out. I did fire the Glock RH a few times, but of the 175rd of .40 I put through it I would venture a guess that maybe only 25 or so where RH (and about the same fired by my buddies, so ~125rd LH).

No issues with flying brass. All actions when firing LH are primarily left handed, that is it stayed in the left hand and I used the right for any other actions like mag swaps. It just felt totally natural.

Perhaps it is time for me to embrace the duality of both revolvers and semi-autos. The Shining Goodness of a Massive Stainless Steel Handcannon on the Right, the Side of the Lord Himself, That Embodiment of all that is Evil and Corrupt about Handguns on the Left, traditionally the hand of Satan Himself! Yeah and Verily, we shall ponder the implications of my choices!

Also, the Glock is just freakin fun.

Round Count (all values approximate):
175 .40S&W (~150 mine)
75 .357 Mag (~55 mine) - I have to say, I am getting more and more use to the factory .357 loads I have been using.
25 .38sp (all BT or Host)
100 .38 "Mouse Farts" (almost all BT or Host)
70 7.62x39 (60 mine)
40 .22 lr (all mine)

~485 rounds / ~330 mine - Like I said, a good day at the range.

Bonus: Another friends' parents live about 45 minutes from where I was shooting, Friday night he texed me to know he was back in town and they where throwing the party that they had to cancel a while back due to weather - with huge amount of food and drink and a massive Class C fireworks show - and that he would be insulted if I didn't at least stop by for the show. I obliged, of course, and showed my thanks by availing myself of the well-laid table groaning under the weight of the food on top and the 7 fully stocked coolers on the deck.

I have been doing ~60 hr/weeks on 12 hour shifts for a while now with very little time off, but got off from 06:00 Friday to 06:00 Monday this time out.

It's not often that the chance to wake up late, go shooting on a beautiful early spring afternoon, then be invited to a massive food/drink/fireworks extravaganza presents itself, when you get a chance to have a weekend like this you have to do so. The next 7 or 9x12 hour days will be here soon enough...

There's nothing better than having to decide which to shoot. Revolver or Pistol.
I have a Glock 17 and always enjoy shooting with it.
Good Luck and have fun.
Best regards.

Do I have to decide? Hell, we have both Evil *AND* Stupid down on Wonderland on the Potomac... I did have fun though, thanks.

Welcome to the dark side.

Do I get a red Lighsaber next? 'Cuz that would be awesome.

Using the correct holsters will solve your problems. However, as a firearm instructor, I always tell my students to learn to operate a firearm with either hand, whether wheel-gun or a semi-auto, especially if you carry for self-defense. If you get yourself into a SHTF situation and lose the use of your right hand or arm, more than likely it might be too late to learn to shoot with your left hand. So, by all means, practice with your off hand to get the feel for handling the firearm, magazine changes, and the proper feel for trigger control.

I have a permit (NH P/RL) but don't really plan on carrying. That said, I have decided to at least wear it around the house for a while, get use to the feel, etc. My jobsite is with a public utility that has very strict rules about when can come onsite, with guns being top of the no-no list and when I am working it's really just eat/sleep/work - not even any stops for errands if I can avoid it.

That all said, I do want to become comfortable with this as my ccw. The setup I have now I would really need to wear a mid-length jacket to conceal and frankly have no intention of doing so in warm weather.

I am gonna look into LH holster options for it and ponder carry options. I do want to be able to cc "properly" and feel comfortable with it, it's just not at the very top of my list.

I will also start working with the GP LH, as I have to agree with you, it never hurts to practice.

Your link goes to ez pass discussion

Huh. I checked the 2 links I posted and they both went where they should have. Dunno..

Back
Top Bottom