Wheelchair carry

Twigg

NES Member
I've been getting out a bit more in the past couple of months and being in a wheelchair makes me feel like a target. When I carry in my usual holsters, OWB or my shoulder rig don't work well for me. The OWB pins my carry piece against the side of my chair and clearing the arm rest isn't easy.
When I use the Galco Miami Classic the whole rig slides down and again, my carry piece hangs up with clearance issues. When I shorten the straps so it rides higher I can't get it on or off by myself.

I'd like to run a chest rig but I'm not a fan of retention straps. I need a chest holster for a 1911 govt which has some kind of retention like either an adjustable tension screw or possibly a thumb break. I'd like to go with no retention but on occasion I have to get out to pick up things I've dropped. (I have limited mobility)
I don't need my gun falling out too.
I can't just cut off the retention strap, throw a tension screw into the holster because the holster will not be large enough to acomodate the pinched leather the tension screw needs to work.
Does anyone make a chest holster like this ? (Not concerned with concealment, I'm in NH.)

Twigg,

PM inbound.

This one can be ordered for almost any common carry piece and with many configurations.

It can be worn different ways.

Last edited:
Maybe you could have a kydex custom drop leg holster that allows for an easy pivot from standing to sitting to allow for optimum draw-angle...?

Picture this with a rotating mount...

41Do-YdG28L.jpg

chair.jpg

Or, failing that, I'd go with Post #6, though you can find them far cheaper. Those GI chest holsters are simple, robust, and comfortable. Should be inexpensive, too.

Joking aside ... are you looking to open carry or conceal?

Since you are on a wheel chair, you could have a small pouch on the side, maybe between the chair and your waist, with the gun in there.

What about ankle carry?

Joking aside ... are you looking to open carry or conceal?
I do "casual carry", it's in Nh, nobody cares if you carry.

Since you are on a wheel chair, you could have a small pouch on the side, maybe between the chair and your waist, with the gun in there.

That's for the BUG.

What about ankle carry?

Too far away, even sitting.
(I'm very tall, at least i used to be before I started with the W/C. Srsly if I bend over to draw I take eyes off threat. Nice try tho.

I am a big fan of the Gunfighters Inc Kenai chest rig. Securely holds my SRH Alaskan, and you can swap out the holster for different guns.

I'd think a 'fanny pack' would be pretty usual for someone in a wheel chair? It would't stick out like someone walking around. I've always seen bags in the laps of people in wheelchairs.

Awareness of your surrounding, to include potential troublemakers, would go a long way towards mitigating trouble with such a setup.

Back
Top Bottom