• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

wheel weights

Anybody still using wheel weights? If so I got a bucket of them but don't know current prices. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

you should be able to get 25 -35 dollars for a 5 gallon pail from someone that casts. The scrap yard in my area, (Western Mass) gives 15 cents/lb

If they are sorted and all lead wheel weights .15 lb is the high on the scrapyards in my area. Alot of places pay only scrap metal price as it has a steel clip in it. Also zinc,steel, and other substitutes out there.
I will pay for nice full buckets of clean lead wheel weights. 25-35 is about the range.
In the last few years I have seen a large drop in lead wheel wheights before it was about 75-80% lead 20-25% other
The few sources I still have left are getting close th 50/50
I can at least sell the zinc to a man that uses them to cast fishing wheights.

I have an automotive repair shop and I cast my own bullets so I save all the old wheel weights. In the last year the ratio of LEAD clip on weights to non LEAD ( Fe & Zn) is greatly changing on every bucket full by 10%. A year ago I would find 65% LEAD and 35% Iron/Zinc. Today I am lucky to get 30% (1/2 clip on & 1/2 stick-on) LEAD and the rest is crap. I am afraid to see what this year will bring as a lot of states are banning LEAD wheel weights. [sad]

Back
Top Bottom