Wheat kitty litter for tumbling?

Fooped

Resident HK Guru
Anyone ever used crushed wheat kitty litter for tumbling brass? I've heard that the corn cob kitty litter works well, and I think the wheat has a similar consistency. I found a 11-12 pound box at Target for 8.00, which beats the hell out of 12.00 bucks for RCBS "tumbling media" for a box 1/5 the size.

Any thoughts?

I considered the wheat stuff, since I have used it as kitty litter. My guess is that it is too light to clean, but would be good for someone looking to remove case lube or, maybe, give a final buff.

Put me in the camp that thinks wheat is too light. Petsmart has corn cob media for $5.99 for a bag that will last a year. Why spend more to screw around with something that might not work?

Thanks guys, I'll pick up the stuff at Petsmart asap. Just out of curiosity, when do you guys throw out the "dirty" media? When it's grey and cruddy, or after so many hours of tumbling?

Thanks guys, I'll pick up the stuff at Petsmart asap. Just out of curiosity, when do you guys throw out the "dirty" media? When it's grey and cruddy, or after so many hours of tumbling?

I guess when it seems like it takes longer to get them clean... and the stuff just looks real dirty. The walnut stuff is cheap and that's what I use so I'm not worried about dumping it prematurely.

There's two things you can do to make your media last longer:

Pick up some NuFinish car wax - the liquid kind in the orange bottle, and make sure there's no ammonia in it. Put the equivalent of a capful in the media each time you tumble.

Save your used dryer sheets. Cut one in strips and put it in with the media when you tumble. These will pick up a lot of of the crud.

I've been using the current batch of corncob media for about 10,000 rounds (it's due to be changed though).

I'd be inclined to give Lizard Litter a shot, if only for the novelty of walking into an exotic pet store and saying to the clerk, "Gimme some of that Lizard Litter!"

Sounds like a new Aussie wine - or one of those New Age energy drinks....

I'd be inclined to give Lizard Litter a shot, if only for the novelty of walking into an exotic pet store and saying to the clerk, "Gimme some of that Lizard Litter!"

Yeah... you just gotta experience life. Go for it.

Does not work well

I tried the wheat kitty litter, let the tumbler run for three hours, and didn't notice any change in the brass. I went back to the crushed walnut shells.

Back
Top Bottom