• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's your take on Veteran's plates?

I love my Veteran plates, I earned that right to display those plates so I will always have them from now on. I didn't know where the proceeds went though to be honest, good to know, if it is true. I also like how you tend to be left alone while driving and not pulled over for going over, or at least that how it seems for me. my sniper tab on the back of my car also tends to keep traffic back off my ass as well, lol.

i was looking into getting a new registration and came across this.
http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/fees/20141.pdf

Code:
REGISTRATION			REG FEE		SPECIAL FEE	TOTALFEE	RENEW FEE
[B]Military[/B]				
Bronze Star			No Fee 			
ExPOW	 			No Fee			
Distinguished Flying Cross 	No Fee 			
Gold Star Family		No Fee			
Legion of Valor			No Fee			
Medal of Honor			No Fee			
National Guard			50		40		90		90
Pearl Harbor Survivor		No Fee			
Purple Heart			No Fee			
Silver Star			No Fee			
Veteran				50		40		90		90

Your point is ??

Code:
REGISTRATION            REG FEE        SPECIAL FEE    TOTALFEE    RENEW FEE
[B]Military[/B]                
Bronze Star            No Fee             
ExPOW                 No Fee            
Distinguished Flying Cross     No Fee             
Gold Star Family        No Fee            
Legion of Valor            No Fee            
Medal of Honor            No Fee            
National Guard            50        40        90        90
Pearl Harbor Survivor        No Fee            
Purple Heart            No Fee            
Silver Star            No Fee            
Veteran                50        40        90        90

Your point is ??

I really don't have a point. i was just pointing out that there are 9 ways that you could receive a free registration.

I stumbled across the document at the registry site and am looking into it for my own father. I've never served myself, but i think a free registration is the least this state could do for some of the men and women that have been awarded with the above medals, or had been in certain circumstances.

It used to be you had to show a service connected disability in order to qualify or Purple Heart, CMH, etc. That has gone by the wayside. You made the commitment, you pay extra for them, wear them with pride. And I doubt that Coup Devall keeps track of the money and sends it towards soldiers homes. We do have the best Veterans support system in the country here in Mass. though.

I would get them, but like someone else said, the NH vet plates can be confused with MA plates. I don't want that.
That said, if you served in any capacity then get them.

I definitely agree on having more specific requirements, such as having some sort of combat action identifier such as CIB, CAB, ETC... Veteran, to me, is a person who had to, at one point or another, put their life in some sort of danger, to accomplish a mission of tactical value. This being said, it applies mostly to any one who is "boots on ground". If someone were to get Veteran plates, without meeting my personal criteria, I would call them a fraud, and give them a good dose of "Military Persuasion" via "Shower Party"

Of course it will help with tickets and such...but that shouldn't be something to rely on, let alone something you shoudln't be doing, within reason of course[smile]. Just stay safe for the rest of us other veteran please.

So basically someone who stayed in the states and worked with boots on the ground in US should not get Veteran plates?
Say I never set foot in another coutry (not the case) and I was doing my job in the States. I still built bombs for a living and I put my life in danger everyday because I was doing my job in the US. Should I not receive Vet plates because I was not boots on the ground in a war zone?

So basically someone who stayed in the states and worked with boots on the ground in US should not get Veteran plates?
Say I never set foot in another coutry (not the case) and I was doing my job in the States. I still built bombs for a living and I put my life in danger everyday because I was doing my job in the US. Should I not receive Vet plates because I was not boots on the ground in a war zone?

I wouldn't hold your breath for a response, he came and trolled then left. We are better off with out him.

thread revival...........................

Yesterday I went to Brockton. On the way home I went thru a small road construction area on Rte 106 in W Bridgewater. There was a local cop directing traffic thru the one lane open area. As I drove thru the area, the cop apparently noticed my Vet plate as I approached him, and he stood at attention and saluted me as I went by.

That's never happened before.

Veteran is a legal definition and is not defined by service in combat. If you want them, get them. Other than the fact that the money goes to support the state veterans home, I don't see the need for them. I suppose in the age of entitlement everyone wants to be special or different for those of you who are bragging about how you didn't get a parking ticket or a speeding ticket or whatever, don't be a cop bashing, gee I guess all animals are equal but some are more equal... it's not too much different from the other entitled classes many of you endlessly bitch about on here ...oh look at me, here's my DD214 ain't I grand? Bet you get your 10 percent discount at Home Depot too...[rolleyes].

Last edited:

Code:
REGISTRATION            REG FEE        SPECIAL FEE    TOTALFEE    RENEW FEE
[B]Military[/B]                
Bronze Star            No Fee             
ExPOW                 No Fee            
Distinguished Flying Cross     No Fee             
Gold Star Family        No Fee            
Legion of Valor            No Fee            
Medal of Honor            No Fee            
National Guard            50        40        90        90
Pearl Harbor Survivor        No Fee            
Purple Heart            No Fee            
Silver Star            No Fee            
Veteran                50        40        90        90

The rip off for the guard plates is none of the money goes to veterans organizations. Also, to get veteran plates, in Massachusetts, as someone said veteran is a legal term, you must have a DD 214. If you are still on a type of active duty, even if you have been to a combat zone may times over, you do not have a 214 and cannot get veteran plates. Veteran plate requirements are below.

• 180 days of regular active duty service (enlisted or drafted service) and a last discharge or release under honorable conditions (does not include training), or
  • 90 days of active duty service (Reservists or National Guard), one day of which is during "wartime" and a last discharge or release under honorable conditions (does not include training)

But, Massachusetts will allow you to get veteran put on your license with a just a 214. You think the standard would be the same. Below is from their website.

One of the following documents (typed, not handwritten) must be presented as proof of honorable discharge:
• A DD-214 that indicates honorable discharge
• A DD-215 that indicates honorable discharge
• An Honorable Discharge form

Last edited:
historically, veterans were only considered to be those w a campaign medal from foreign service, - that's it.

groups like the vfw wouldn't allow you to join without the award and serving stateside didn't count.
a lot of people were upset to be turned away from the vfw, and had to join alternative social clubs like the Moose Lodge etc.

nowadays, any service, anywhere, during the period we are in combat someplace in the world suffices for veteran status.

Veteran is a legal definition and is not defined by service in combat. If you want them, get them. Other than the fact that the money goes to support the state veterans home, I don't see the need for them. I suppose in the age of entitlement everyone wants to be special or different for those of you who are bragging about how you didn't get a parking ticket or a speeding ticket or whatever, don't be a cop bashing, gee I guess all animals are equal but some are more equal... it's not too much different from the other entitled classes many of you endlessly bitch about on here ...oh look at me, here's my DD214 ain't I grand? Bet you get your 10 percent discount at Home Depot too...[rolleyes].
WOW!
I do not have veteran plates, but I have considered them not for recognition or special treatment but for pride.

I think you are reaching a little bit here. I have vet plates for the same reason I have vanity plates, I fit the criteria to have them, and I was willing to pay for them.

I really had no idea people got so butt hurt over something like vet plates.

I think you are reaching a little bit here. I have vet plates for the same reason I have vanity plates, I fit the criteria to have them, and I was willing to pay for them.

I really had no idea people got so butt hurt over something like vet plates.

Why do you think I am butt hurt? I merely point out an obvious truth. You, yourself use the term vanity. I could care less what kind of plates you have on your car or if you are one of those sovereigns and have no plates, but by the same token there are a large percentage of people here that subscribe to the idea that there are those with a sense of entitlement such as cops and millennials and they find this offensive but somehow its okay to have veterans plates to get out of parking tickets or get other preferential treatment.

It's interesting how you go from zero to 60 and make these quantum and somewhat inflammatory remarks about me being butt hurt. But then I try to read each post critically, even yours. If being a vet is so special to you, that's grand. Being a vet is special to me too, on the first of every month when I collect my pension and my disability pension from the VA. If you liked the Navy so much, you should have stayed in but really I'm not butt hurt and could care less. You are another lower enlisted guy who rendered honorable service, and did his time. Thank you very much for your service, move on with your life and get your free meal at Applebee's every November 11th, and don't forget your USN T Shirt and Baseball Cap. I'd like to see Universal Conscription but that makes me a statist...

Why do you think I am butt hurt? I merely point out an obvious truth. You, yourself use the term vanity. I could care less what kind of plates you have on your car or if you are one of those sovereigns and have no plates, but by the same token there are a large percentage of people here that subscribe to the idea that there are those with a sense of entitlement such as cops and millennials and they find this offensive but somehow its okay to have veterans plates to get out of parking tickets or get other preferential treatment.

It's interesting how you go from zero to 60 and make these quantum and somewhat inflammatory remarks about me being butt hurt. But then I try to read each post critically, even yours. If being a vet is so special to you, that's grand. Being a vet is special to me too, on the first of every month when I collect my pension and my disability pension from the VA. If you liked the Navy so much, you should have stayed in but really I'm not butt hurt and could care less. You are another lower enlisted guy who rendered honorable service, and did his time. Thank you very much for your service, move on with your life and get your free meal at Applebee's every November 11th, and don't forget your USN T Shirt and Baseball Cap. I'd like to see Universal Conscription but that makes me a statist...

First, "people" does not necessarily equal you. There are a lot of people crying about who should and shouldn't qualify as a veteran in this thread. I quoted you as to say I thought your statement was a bit of a stretch and that you may be reading into someones reasons for wanting fancy plates a bit, then added my statement about butt hurt, disconnected from the statement I directed at you, as an observation about our little internet community's opinion about vet's and how they register their cars.

Second, I don't really care what you think of my low ranking enlisted service, or your assumption that I prance around looking for discounts while wearing a Navy t-shirt. If it makes you feel better to try and point out that I am some kind of attention hungry slouch, that's cool man, glad I could help.

As for the conscription thing, not taking the bait.

Last edited:
Once again proving that any topic can go off the rails quick. It's a specialized plate. The same for sports fans, orphan support, cancer support and the plethora of other specialized plates. I don't equate it to being any different. I'm proud that I served my country, nothing anyone can say to me will take that away, yes I have veteran plates and I damn well wear a gray t-shirt with NAVY on the front any damn time I please.

I was mid level enlisted when I got out. What the hell does that have to do with anything at all. If you served, you served. Period. Be proud of it, be proud for others that did the same.

I am the one that pointed out that I may have avoided a parking ticket on the basis that my car had vet plates. I don't know how that equals a sense of entitlement. I was just making an observation.

I know for a fact that there are cops out there that are prone to cut breaks for a vet. If one offered you a warning and thanked you for your service, would you insist he gave you a ticket, or thank him and go on your way?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Ya know, just 'cause everyone didn't get their ass shot at, they still put themselves out there for harm and lost precious years in the service to the USA.

Besides, a few bucks of the plate money goes to a good cause.

Getting out of a ticket because you have veteran plates is not a choice someone with veteran plates makes, but one the cop makes. You have no control over that situation. Whether or not that happens has nothing to do with entitlement.

I just renewed my registration this year and even though the lady at the registry said they may take it I still have my green plate. I'm hoping to be long gone before it needs renewing.

As for getting a Vet plate, I'd rather not be giving the state any more money than necessary. I'd rather donate to the cause directly.

Last edited:
I can't believe how many douche bags there are with resentment towards veterans. There are many different kinds of people walking this earth, some made a commitment to there country and served. If you have a problem with that STFU and move on. Bashing what you arrogantly perceive to be someone else's agenda because they want to tell the world they are a veteran is petty and definitely makes a statement about you.

Back
Top Bottom