• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's your go to boot?

Timberland Loggers for general face smashing and stomping. Danners for comp-toe and comfort in cold weather.

Salmon 4d GTX for hiking and Timberland field boot with helcor leather for work and casual wear. I am also a Danner guy, but surprisingly these timberlands are more comfortable, and appear that they will outlast my danners. Yes, my danners are made in the USA and the leather is holding up great, but the sole only lasts about a year with daily use.

Both are low end boots, Red Wings and Chippewas will blow them away, I have owned all 4 brands.

I'm no expert but I disagree. Even if the RWs and Chips are better, Id never spend that kind of money on boots to work around my property. The Georgias get the job done, they comfortable and have held up quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm no expert but I disagree. Even if the RWs and Chips are better, Id never spend that kind of money on boots to work around my property. The Georgias get the job done, they comfortable and have help quite well.

I am in my boots 12 to 14 hours a day, for less than a buck a day I only wear the best boots

For almost 25 years I have been wearing the same Hi-Tecs that I bought as a close out from Cheaper Than Dirt for $20. They had a Goodyear Welt Kelty sole and I have had the soles redone about three times now. The lining is pretty much gone now so it is finally time to replace them, but I doubt I will ever get that much value out of a shoe again in my life.

For almost 25 years I have been wearing the same Hi-Tecs that I bought as a close out from Cheaper Than Dirt for $20. They had a Goodyear Welt Kelty sole and I have had the soles redone about three times now. The lining is pretty much gone now so it is finally time to replace them, but I doubt I will ever get that much value out of a shoe again in my life.

I had a pair of HiTecs years ago. I wore them to work for a year, hiked a bunch including Mt Washington twice, and casual wear. Probably the best value boot I ever bought. The glue that attached the upper to sole was opening up and letting some water in but they were still good when I retired them.

I've been doing bates off and on for years. I use to buy them through galls.com because I had specific style options I wanted (safety toe, nylon (or better) shank, zipper side, reasonably water resistant)
New jon gives me free boots, but not with what I really want

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I've been doing bates off and on for years. I use to buy them through galls.com because I had specific style options I wanted (safety toe, nylon (or better) shank, zipper side, reasonably water resistant)
New jon gives me free boots, but not with what I really want

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

There a joke in there about master. Bates. Somewhere, but alas my mind is garbage today

Redwing 604s. Previous pair lasted 8 years of fairly hard labor. Break in is the biggest problem with a new set. I swear it's a direct ratio between age/use and comfort. It was hard to give up the old pair but I had to put them down

At the firehouse, I use Rocky 8" zip paratrooper

image.jpg

My my current everyday boots are the Chippewa Apache Bay Loggers, not as steep of a heel as the super loggers. I've had them a year wearing almost every day and there's still plenty of tread life left.

image.jpg

Past boots were Carolina's, and those only lasted about 10 months before the liner fell apart. In the Marines I would get 3-4 months out of the safety boots before they were destroyed

I've never tried Chippewa but I've been interested.
I was issued Belleville when I joined the Army. Still have some that I wear almost daily. A few pairs are going on 11 years and are still fine except for scuffed up toes. I'll probably buy another pair from them soon for a daily crap kicker.

I bought a pair of Timberland Pro 6 inch from Sears last week when they had the off 40% going out of business sale. They're comfortable and I think they'll get better as I break them in

When I got home from work, I went searching for my old Safety boots. Not only did I find them, I found a brand new pair!

this pair of boots only has about 2-3 months on them, I got the new pair to replace these just before I EAS'd because once the toe wears through, they're considered "unserviceable". Also, working around explosives they were concerned about the steel toes causing sparks...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Heres what they look like brand new, strait from thorogood. These were by far the most comfortable safety boots I've ever owned, and it was common to run in them. Don't mind my nosey dog, Moxie.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I was talking to some guy while zip lining at Brentton woods and he was talking about "Limmers" he was referring to boots made by Peter Limmer in Intervale New Hampshire. I guess they send you something to trace your foot on and then you send it back them. Then eventually the boots show up at your house - I guess there is a wait. You can also visit there shop and buy a pair.
Buying Limmers obligates one to take a photo of them in the field.
limmer.jpg

That's Katahdin/Baxter Peak.
(ETA: Not my Limmers; not my feet)

Last edited:
Had a pair of Timberland boots last me almost 6 years. Bought another pair and they lasted a year. Now I wear Thorogood and am happy so far.

I've been wearing work boots for over 20 years and have yet to have a pair last more than a year. I've tried every brand out there, I'm not sure how you guys get years out of them.
I need comfort, waterproof, and I buy smooth sole so I don't track mud. I'm using Red Wing Irish Setters non insulated and they are great except on life. I'm on concrete a lot and up and down ladders, I think I walk 5 miles a day it seems.

5 Miles? that's probably why. Most of the guys I know that wear boots for work end up toasting them in a year or
so...

Lone vote for Timberland here. Very comfortable, warm, and look great after two years.
It's been another two years and the Tim Pros are still holding up well. Love em, wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy another pair of these ever do wear out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom