• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's your go to boot?

I've been a red wing logger guy for some time now and considering trying a different brand this go around. So for those of you that wear loggers what's the best deal? I.e. Fit, durability and price.

..... and go!

I only buy American made boots and usually wear Chippewas good durability not the logger heel though. Thorogood is the most comfortable but not as durable and if you can get American made Carolinas they have both comfort and durability.

I've been a red wing logger guy for some time now and considering trying a different brand this go around. So for those of you that wear loggers what's the best deal? I.e. Fit, durability and price.

..... and go!

I was a Red Wing logger fan for years and now I only buy American made Chippewas.

I generally wear Chippewas also.

I was talking to some guy while zip lining at Brentton woods and he was talking about "Limmers" he was referring to boots made by Peter Limmer in Intervale New Hampshire. I guess they send you something to trace your foot on and then you send it back them. Then eventually the boots show up at your house - I guess there is a wait. You can also visit there shop and buy a pair. Check 'em out - not cheap

http://www.limmercustomboot.com/cgi-bin/CustomBoot/index.pl

Last edited:
I have a pair of made in the UK Dr Marten industrials that I got back in the late 90's early 2000's. I wore them for a year or so for work then changed career paths. The soles finally needed replacing a few years back. They held up very well. Don't buy the made in china ones though. I made the mistake of buying a new pair made in china that are complete trash. I wasn't paying attention and didn't even realize they were made in china when I bought them. Glad I saved my old ones.

Chippewa's for me. Not loggers either. Loggers are for loggers. They are too heavy to wear them walking and casual or work other than logging. For me the weight when walking could over extend the knees. My current chips are the lace up motorcycle boot and I just bought a pair of Katadin Iron Works oxfords from Bean. They're Chippewa, and the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever owned.

I was leaning more towards the Chippewas mainly cause most of the people I know seem to favor them over red wings. Figured I'd ask for other opinions, boots are typically one of the few things I don't mind putting up the extra money for cause I'm in them all day. I will also look into the danner and limmer boots as well

Chippewa Super loggers for me. Iv had my current pair for going on 4 years. The liner has come undone and iv ripped a huge hole in the leather on the steel toe but the boots dont give up. If it wasnt for the hole in the leather id send them back to be re soled like i did with my last pair. But alas these are on their last leg and ill be ordering another pair of them. I switched from red wings to chips maybe 10 years ago and wont ever go back. Red wings are comfortable to wear on day one but only lasted me maybe a year and a half before they needed to be replaced. I think my old Georgia boots lasted longer then my red wing loggers.

I buy the American made Redwings I get 2 to 3 years out of them I have had a few pair re- souled
I thought that Chippewa was make some boots overseas now too? But I could be mistaken

I buy the American made Redwings I get 2 to 3 years out of them I have had a few pair re- souled
I thought that Chippewa was make some boots overseas now too? But I could be mistaken

They do have some made in China. Bobs sells them. The box is green to distinguish I believe, or the other way around.

8" 511 ATAC Storm $129.00 Dicks, Bass Pro, Atlantic Tactical, and many other stores.

I wear them daily, they are very light, scuffs clean up easily, polish nicely, 100% water proof, last a long time, plenty of ankle support, and they come in my size...

Redwings, I make sure there made here. Hit them with the mink oil every now and then, 2 years they usually last. Boot warmers seem to keep them dry on the inside so they don't take on that stank.i wear them almost every day

Red Wings and Chippewas both make chinese junk. Shop smart and you can find the USA made ones.

I've been wearing work boots for over 20 years and have yet to have a pair last more than a year. I've tried every brand out there, I'm not sure how you guys get years out of them.
I need comfort, waterproof, and I buy smooth sole so I don't track mud. I'm using Red Wing Irish Setters non insulated and they are great except on life. I'm on concrete a lot and up and down ladders, I think I walk 5 miles a day it seems.

I use the red wing 1206 work boot at work. They take a beating and I get a solid 3 years out of them. The soles never wear out. Never have a problem with water proofing
They are still made in USA but with imported material.

I have my at home "winter" red wings model 400 or 1400 ???,been so long I forget these boots are 10 years old and going strong . Only thing I do is clean them up when they get dirty and apply SnoSeal silicone. My feet stay dry.

I think for the money the USA made red wings are very good. I can't see paying more especially for my at work boots as they get abused pretty harshly and still last.

Almost every US boot company has a China line.

Last edited:
Check out Nicks boots and or Whites. Both are awesome boots blows most store naught stuff away when comparing durability and rebuild available on both.
http://nicksboots.com/
Don't have the link handy for whites but your Google fu will get you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danner Mountain Light II for the past 3 years. I wear them while working, hiking, shooting. They look a little beat up on the surface but still waterproof and totally ready for another 3 years.

I generally wear Chippewas also.

I was talking to some guy while zip lining at Brentton woods and he was talking about "Limmers" he was referring to boots made by Peter Limmer in Intervale New Hampshire. I guess they send you something to trace your foot on and then you send it back them. Then eventually the boots show up at your house - I guess there is a wait. You can also visit there shop and buy a pair. Check 'em out - not cheap

http://www.limmercustomboot.com/cgi-bin/CustomBoot/index.pl
I have been wearing Limmers for the past 25 years...that is only two pair of boots though because Peter will resole them for you for about $80...they will usually last me about 3 resoles before the uppers are trashed. My second pair is lasting me a lot longer because I am not hiking and backpacking as much as I used to.

The first pair I bought was in the late 80's and they were a pair he had made already but the customer never picked them up....I think I paid $375 for them. I wore those out in the late 90's. The ones I have now are Limmers but made in Bavaria....just as nice and I think I paid about the same price for them, maybe a bit less.

Bates.

They are as comfortable as sneakers once you break them in. I even run with them once in a while and used them at every NES Excruciathlon.

Back
Top Bottom