• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's Your Favorite Revolver?

pictures huh?

my 686 PP
686pp.jpg

My favorite revolver? That's a tough call...

Well, there's the Snubbie from Hell™:

SW360PD.jpg

Smith & Wesson model 360PD - a .357 Magnum j-framed snub-nosed revolver. Hurts like hell to shoot full-power .357 Magnum through it, but at 12 ounces it comes with me the most...

There's the first gun I ever bought:

RugerSecuritySix.jpg

That's a Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum with 6" barrel. I've put easily 6-7,000 rounds through this gun, from the cheapest .38 special wadcutters to full-bore screamin' 110 grain .357 Magnums.

Here's my smallest revolver:

NAA22LR.jpg

North American Arms mini-.22LR. A five-shot, single-action .22LR revolver that fits into the "lighter pocket" of most pairs of jeans.

But my absolute favorite would have to be this beauty:

SmithModel1722lr2.jpg

Smith & Wesson model 17-4 .22LR, 8 3/8" barrel. This gun is an absolute DREAM to shoot. The weight of the K-frame absorbs the already-inconsequential recoil, the long barrel balances the gun out perfectly, and the target hammer and trigger make single-action shooting an act very near perfection.

And double action ain't too shabby, either...

Colt Python is #1 by far.

Then the S&W 520 which I got a chance to try out at S&W in Springfield a month or so back.

Favorite? that would be the Mod 19 that I USED to have. Of my revolvers that I have now, my fav for shooting would be my 4" Mod 66. For carry, my 637 as it can hide in a pocket.

I would have to say my model 36 S&W.
One of the first pistols I ever bought. I have had it around 30 years and it formerly belonged to Keven White (former Mayor of Boston)

I have an old S&W 15-3. The absolute best gun that I own. Paid $200 used and I would not take 5 times that amount for it. Great trigger, dead on accurate and a joy to shoot. I have put a few thousand rounds through it and it remains perfect. Runner up is my 10-6.

I used to have a S&W 617, I sold it because the DA trigger was just impossible to work through for more then 100 rounds. I currently own a S&W 627 with an action job that I enjoy very much. The ergonomics are not perfect for my hands so the trigger reach is still too long, but it's good enough for competition. Next on my list is a stainless Ruger Vacquero in .45 LC with a 7 inch barrel.

Last edited:
Not really a revolver guy but I do like my 686 (mostly because my dad gave it to me). A few years back I had an SP101 in .357. I thought it would make a good carry piece but it was too heavy. I'd like to round out my revolver collection with something in .44 magnum or maybe even a .460. I also have an old .38 cheif's special.

Chris

For general use, my 4" Model 28 Highway Patrolman.
All time favorite was a 3" Lew Horton 686. Wish I never sold it.
Future favorite? When I can get a 2 3/4" barrel for my 4" 500 and get the cylinder machined for moonclips!

Favorite!?!

Do you have a favorite Child!?!

I love them all!

Equally!

But for carry, I would pick my Taurus 85 Total Titanium.

For target shooting, I would pick my S&W HE 1905 om 32-20.

For requiring surgery for tendon damage, my Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag.

Mark
The official State Idiot of the State of New Hampshire

Back
Top Bottom