What's Your Favorite Revolver?

Please answer with guns you've actually owned or at least shot, not ones you think you would like to have. I like the S&W N-Frame.

The only revolver I own: Ruger SP101

50T.jpg

I loved my Security Six Heavy Barrel and my S&W 28, but they used speed loaders.

I discovered 625s and moon clips and haven't looked back.

I have to categorize my favorites as each has a different 'job'. No one will do it all so I have 3 favorite revolvers:

For holster carry or target shooting I really like my SW66 .357mag. I'd like it better if it was a 3 incher, though.

66.jpg

For pick it up, stick it in my pocket and go mode, the SW332 .32mag is my favorite.
332small.jpg

For plinking, it's my Dan Wesson kframe .22

dw.jpg

Well, I see at least one member has the same taste I do.

My absolute favorite is a 2.5" 66-1 P&R 357MAG revolver. I have night sights on it a bobbed hammer and a smooth reliable action. I carry it in an Alessi leather holster that is very comfortable.

Next in line is my S&W 340PD air light in 357MAG. I had it Magna Ported and plan to send it out for moon clip conversion next week. That will make it one sweet pocket gun.

For IDPA I have used a 625 and a 4" 66-1. The 625 may soon belong to another member of this forum and I am sure he will share it with you.[laugh]
The 66-1 was a duty revolver with the 2.5" as the off duty. Both are set up the same except the hammer on the 4" is still there.

For USPSA I use a 6.5" 25-2 moon clip 45ACP revolver. Accurate as you can get.

For Gallery, I plan to use a 617 10 shot. That should draw some stares.

Last is my ICORE and steel revolver. A 627 8times 38/357 8 shot revolver.

No matter what you want to do, there is a revolver for the job. Now if I could just afford a S&W revolving rifle my life would be complete[smile]

I was mainly looking for range guns. Obviously, the J-frames I carry get more everyday use and are easier to conceal than the N. But those N-Frames 624, 27, 29, sure are fun to shoot. I have concealed carried one of them occasionally in the winter, but the 36s are my usual carry guns.

Here's my small collection of revolvers. Out of all of them I like the m15-2 the best. I don't shoot it all that often now, as id rated it at 98% and made in the 60s. It doesn't have a whole lot of retail value, but it used to belong to my uncle who was a PO in the central mass town I grew up in. I have the holster to. When he passed away he gave it to me in his will. Locks up tight and has a very smooth trigger. I brought it to S&W during one of those public shoots where one of the gun smiths will check your gun over. He commented on how he doesn't see to many of these in such good shape. Since then I only take it out every once in a while. I'll pass it along to my kid (when I have one) when I pass.

I figure my uncle probably never had to take it out of his holster. He also passed the 22lr revolver to me as well. Now that one is beat to crap as he used it all the time for target practice.

I have 4 6 inch model 27's, 4 4 inch 28's, 2 67's, a 34-1 4 inch, a 4 inch 10 shot 617', a 4 inch magna-ported 657,a 6 inch 1905 hand loader 32 20, a 37, 19, k22, 66-1 2.5 inch, 66-5 4 inch, 25, 29, 36, 60. These are the revolvers that I have left from 40 years of buying revolvers.

The one I like the best is my 66-5 4 inch. The 27's and 28's are great but when you come right down to it a k frame will come first every time.

Let's talk semi's, now....

My S&W 65-3 is a great revolver.It took a little getting used to shooting .357 at the range so now I break it up with .38 p+

I like them all, but my 3 inch K-frames would top the list followed closely thereafter by the Centennial J-frames.

Favorite revolver

Whichever one I happen to have on me if I ever need it.[smile]

My first ever revolver was a Colt Diamondback in 38spl. I liked it but eventually sold it. My next was a S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman in .357mag. I liked that gun alot and was very good with it. It was my duty gun as a reserve officer in Texas.

I now prefer the smaller framed ones, like the S&W Chiefs Special in stainless for holster carry or the hammerless Airweight in aluminum for pocket or summer carry inside gym shorts.

Favorite Revolver

Decisions, decisions! How can one choose one over another? That would just make the rest feel bad!

Lessee, Colt SAA .38 WCF (1901), Bisley .38 WCF (1906), var K frames, one of which some unknown gunsmith built for PPC, it is EXTREMELY accurate, several/many N frames incl .357, .44 Spl, .45 Colt, .45 ACP/ARs (the M24s really stand out for accuracy), an old Colt New Service (.38 WCF) that is too big for my hands, several Ruger SAs and a SS Security Six that was the most accurate of my .357 wheelguns in an impromptu test I conducted once, Colt Trooper, and many unmentioned.

Yes, lets talk autos next!

My only wheel-gun is my 617 4" 10-shot .22. I have no desire for any other .22 handgun after this beauty, it shoots wonderfully with the added joy of never jaming [smile]

I need to get a .357 at some point, they're really the ultimate swiss army gun. I'll probably have to steal Dave's Python! That action is like warm butter! <Drool>

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

That'd be a tossup between the Smith 19 I used to have (ask Tele_Mark, Arioch, or MrTwigg about the trigger on it), or the first revolver I ever owned (1921 Colt police positive)

Back
Top Bottom