• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Whats your Favorite MA compliant Gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the amount of non related responses I received when asking my original question I felt that it maybe have needed some additional clarification as some of you take things to literately and cant seem to just have a easy response.

I was asking with the restrictions of "MA compliant" handguns on both Lists, what is your favorite. ( I know some MA dealers sell guns that may or may not be on both lists, so dont even include those type firearms) . It doesn't necessarily have to be the best all around or the most powerful or the smallest or the one you shoot the best. Just in GENERAL whats your favorite. I'm just curious what people think with all factors taken into consideration what the BEST MA compliant handgun that can be purchased new here. ( lets not include any of you who get things transferred or those 20 year old glocks at FS). Something off the shelf that all in all you could say. "this things pretty sweet, regardless of it being MA compliant or not". Questions asked simply for fun, no ulterior motives here folks. If your going to lecture about "get what shoots best" this isn't the place and a recommendation isn't the intention.

If I were to guess for me it would be a 360pd or Gunsite 1911 but let me know what you think?

Last edited:
Who cares whether it's compliant or not? That's not a factor I look at when choosing a handgun. The sooner you abandon caring about that, the better off you will be. Not even every dealer sells the same guns in this state, so it's sort of a pointless discussion. Is it "out of the guns that camfour says (today, but maybe not tomorrow) are MA compliant"? [laugh]

I don't get the fetish with handgun compliance. And I'm the worst offender, or at least I was, until I figured out the reality that it doesn't actually matter.... because the dealers are going to make up their own rules anyways that have nothing to do with the laws.

-Mike

Last edited:
Allow me to caution you when you ask a broad-sweeping question- you are going to get quite a few different answers, mostly dependent on who owns what and prefers one gun over the other. It would be like asking which flavor of ice cream someone prefers; everyone has their preference.

Since I haven't shot many handguns, I'll refrain from interjecting my opinion but I wanted to bring up the above statement to illustrate the issue with getting useful data from what responses you will get.

IBTL!!!

On a related note..

What's the best car to buy?

Can I get an opinion on the best religion out there...

LMAO! Sorry I can't help it.. it's a compulsion.. Ask this question 1000 times and you'll get 750 different answers...

Who cares whether it's compliant or not? That's not a factor I look at when choosing a handgun. The sooner you abandon caring about that, the better off you will be. Not even every dealer sells the same guns in this state, so it's sort of a pointless discussion. Is it "out of the guns that camfour says (today, but maybe not tomorrow) are MA compliant"? [laugh]

I don't get the fetish with handgun compliance. And I'm the worst offender, or at least I was, until I figured out the reality that it doesn't actually matter.... because the dealers are going to make up their own rules anyways that have nothing to do with the laws.

-Mike

If I can't walk into a gun store and purchase new off the shelf a Les Bear,Nighthawk,Wilson or Ed Brown they are not compliant and therefore cannot be leagally sold by a dealer. If I want to buy a used one and want to pay 3 times what it is worth then it is compliant in which case I don't want it!

I don't like anything that I can't load 100%. So I buy FFL items that accept preban mags or otherwise hold no more than 10 rounds.

Last edited:
Brand new in box from a FFL?

A 1911 IMHO, S&W's are reasonably priced, and then send it to Greg Derr to sweeten it up.

A S&W M&P is an alternative, although not one of the guns I would buy again ( I am in NH so I buy what I want) in MA the M&P is affordable, available, and can be (again) sent to Greg Derr or other competent gunsmith to fix the MA induced problems.

If I can't walk into a gun store and purchase new off the shelf a Les Bear,Nighthawk,Wilson or Ed Brown they are not compliant and therefore cannot be leagally sold by a dealer. If I want to buy a used one and want to pay 3 times what it is worth then it is compliant in which case I don't want it!

Still, in the grand scheme of things, none of this matters. If you lived in MA and own guns in MA, you would know this, but you obviously don't. (on either count).

-Mike

In before the lock, in in before the ligitty lock

1241631439_old_school_breakdancer.gif

FWIW to answer the question, I think the S&W E series 1911s are great guns, when you can find them in stock.

Of course.... depending on the dealer you talk to, some dealers say they're NOT COMPLIANT!!!!! [rofl] see how futile this is?

-Mike

I'm not looking for suggestions as to what to buy. I'm just curious what people think with all factors taken into consideration what the BEST MA compliant handgun that can be purchased new here. ( lets not include any of you who get things transferred or those 20 year old glocks at FS). Something off the shelf that all in all you could say. "this things pretty sweet, regardless of it being MA compliant or not".

If I were to guess for me it would be a 360pd or Gunsite 1911 but let me know what you think?

Glock 7

[STRIKE]Marlin 1894 Cowboy octagonal barrel in 44 magnum preferably with a checkered stock.[/STRIKE]

Just noticed you said handgun. If carryweight is not an issue, then a Sig pistol is my choice.

Last edited:
Sorry, but there is no best MA compliant handgun anymore than there is a best car.

As an example, an M&P Pro is a great gun for IDPA SSP or USPSA Production, but it really sucks as a pocket gun.

no more off topic then some of the answers, but as far a a rifle goes, i love my 10/22. cheap gun, loads of ways to customize it, and you can shoot all day with out breaking the bank.

FWIW to answer the question, I think the S&W E series 1911s are great guns, when you can find them in stock.

Of course.... depending on the dealer you talk to, some dealers say they're NOT COMPLIANT!!!!! [rofl] see how futile this is?

-Mike

Then go to a dealer that says it is and buy it. It's not my problem if a dealer sells me a non complient gun. It's his! If a dealer in Ma doesn't know what is compliant or not then he needs to shut down his business or learn the laws. Simple as that!

Last edited:
Then go to a dealer that says it is and buy it. It's not my problem if a dealer sells me a non complient gun. It's his!

Yes, that's my entire point, more or less. None of this matters.

If a dealer in Ma doesn't know what is compliant or not then he needs to shut down his business or learn the laws. Simple as that!

No.... why should he shut down his business? To make people like you feel better? [rofl]

-Mike

If a dealer in Ma doesn't know what is compliant or not then he needs to shut down his business or learn the laws.
I disagree. The only way a dealer can know what the AG considers to be compliant is if they are clairvoyant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom