What's your favorite "Go To" firearm for fun at the range?

Every trip to the range you say….
That AR-10 of mine with an 18” barrel in 6.5 manbun. With the Leupold MK4 4-14x scope on it. I call it my cheating stick. Tucson rifle club has steel setup on the high power range out to 500 meters. And that little rascal will make the steel sing all day long.
Also lately I’ve been bringing the Winchester model 70 featherweight most every time I go. The range buddies I bring with me bug eyes out when it goes off. It’s a .300 Weatherby. So putting a 200 grain Nosler Accubond down range at 3090 FPS really gets the attention of whoever is spotting.

69929536503__0C57CBF8-7BF8-44A0-A487-E6A99FA7F356.jpeg

Every trip to the range you say….
That AR-10 of mine with an 18” barrel in 6.5 manbun. With the Leupold MK4 4-14x scope on it. I call it my cheating stick. Tucson rifle club has steel setup on the high power range out to 500 meters. And that little rascal will make the steel sing all day long.
Also lately I’ve been bringing the Winchester model 70 featherweight most every time I go. The range buddies I bring with me bug eyes out when it goes off. It’s a .300 Weatherby. So putting a 200 grain Nosler Accubond down range at 3090 FPS really gets the attention of whoever is spotting.

View attachment 751087
That must kick like a mule!

We call it “the evil thing.” Like from the movie “the gods must be crazy.”
I used to have a 700 police in 300 RUM with a brake and that thing was mean. I’m sure you only need to bring about 3 rounds to the range with that rifle and probably still come home with ammo.

Back when 7.62x54r was cheep and plentiful the m38 carbine Mosin always made the trip. The report is so brutally loud and the muzzle blast so ridiculous it always turned heads on the out door range. Now that I'm down to 2 spam cans and no cheep replacements in site that one stays home.
Whacko ... I have an M44 ... it's a hoot and a half. I also still have more than ### rounds of spam-can ammo that I bought years ago. YEARS. Just on your post, I might just have to "dance with Lyudmila" in the next couple of weeks ...

Standard range day, the AR with dedicated .22 upper. Practice positional shooting without breaking the bank.

Since I moved to PA, the AR pistol in 22 RF.

For the four or five times a year I go out to the 1000 yard range, it Has to be the 6.5CM I built. But I always talk several rifles out for those all day range sessions. The .308 Varmint barrel always goes, as does its twin in .223

They’re ALL fun. But the ones I own JUST for fun…

Ruger LCP .22
Heritage Rough Rider .22 lr /mag

View attachment 750707
maxresdefault.jpg

LOL...first thing I though of... [rofl]

I have the most fun shooting three firearms...either my Ruger 22/45 MkII with bull barrel, my Ruger Wrangler revolver or my Marlin 22 bolt action rifle that I bought in 1972 (I think).

I have fun shooting my 1985 Colt Combat Elite 1911 "Boomer" pistol but I need to keep track of ammo sent down range. It's not as cheap as it used to be, It's easy to get carried away.

I also love shooting my CZ-75 PCR but like the 1911, I have to be careful how much lead I send down range. I have thousands of rounds ready to be reloaded but I haven't set up my Dillon yet since I moved to MO.

Last edited:
Whacko ... I have an M44 ... it's a hoot and a half. I also still have more than ### rounds of spam-can ammo that I bought years ago. YEARS. Just on your post, I might just have to "dance with Lyudmila" in the next couple of weeks ...
The carbines are fun. That's my m44 polish carbine......have that and an m38 soviet. Only difference is the m44 has a folding bayonet the m38 had no bayonet at all.

Like I said I'm down to 2 cans of actual surplus ammo. I've used the commercial stuff but it has nowhere near the same report and muzzle blast that the Russian surplus has.

Screenshot_20230511_043419_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Ruger SR22. Because it refuses to fail and mag dumps are ridiculously satisfying.

Also, the 1301 (as pictured above) for the same reasons, just on a grander scale.

Ok bring on the hate but this in 9mm makes me laugh every time I bring to the range. Does well at 100 yards. 4” groups plus laughter.

Attachments

• C504C8BF-36E9-4C13-8152-87D353F9B201.jpeg
    C504C8BF-36E9-4C13-8152-87D353F9B201.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 5
Everyone has different tastes in firearms so interested to hear what is your "Go To" favorite gun to hit the range with? The one that you take the most?

For me it would be one of my vintage S&Ws. Sure there are newer more modern guns out there to take, but they give me the greatest joy when blasting away at steel plates.
Here is my list
One of my (2) S&W 659's
One of my (2) M48A Yugo Mausers
One of my (3) Remington Model 11 shotguns
All depends on what I want to shoot in a given day!

The carbines are fun. That's my m44 polish carbine......have that and an m38 soviet. Only difference is the m44 has a folding bayonet the m38 had no bayonet at all.

Like I said I'm down to 2 cans of actual surplus ammo. I've used the commercial stuff but it has nowhere near the same report and muzzle blast that the Russian surplus has.

View attachment 751515
Yup ... nothing like the report followed by the fireball to clear a few lanes from the range. Once, many years ago at Shirley Rod and Gun (this was before I departed the MA frying pan for the IL fire), I had a couple guys with short-barreled ARs stop shooting, listen/watch me for a few rounds and ask, and I quote .. "What the Christ is THAT !!? " Yeah, I still chuckle a bit when I think about that particular range session.

What's the purpose of having two-three of the same firearm?
They are the same, and not the same at the same time.
I have a transition example of a 659, it has some of the fit and finish of a 5906 as well as a different factory rear site and the optional right side decocker/safety.
I have a VERY early M48A (Number 1299) as well as one in the early 10K range. The fit and finish are both excellent, with the earlier one having very light blonde wood, and the later having a nice medium grain wood.
The Model 11s are all from different decades, 1919, 1929, 1938, with different grades, one is plain, one has some detail work on the wood, the last has wood work, as well as game animals engraved on the receiver. Two are modified choke, one has a Remington Factory installed Poly-Choke.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom