whats your favorite drink

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many.....

But right now a nice clean and crisp 'saki-tini'. Three ounces vodka, two ounces dry sake. Shake over ice and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a cucumber.
I use gin, namely:

Just a splash of:

And a squirt of:

Garnish with a curl of cucumber peel.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I use gin, namely:

Just a splash of:

And a squirt of:

Garnish with a curl of cucumber peel.
An interesting idea.

Although I don't "garnish" drinks at home unless I have company or it's a "holiday". Too much work! And I don't drink enough to use up the garnishing materials before they go bad.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WTF, after reading thru this thread, I had to check my browser to make sure I was still on NES. Cranberry juice?!? Ice?!? When John Wayne walks into the bar, there are only 2 acceptable drinks. Whiskey and beer. Both must which be consumed immediately after being set down on the counter in one gulp. Anything else revokes your man card!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one because I liked the show "Burn Notice".

But it wasn't quite what I expected. I might try again sometime, though, on a very hot day.
I enjoyed that show. Sam was the man. Mike was okay but Sam was cool shit. Fiona was cool too. Nothing wrong with a petite woman carrying bug guns.

I grow my own mint in my garden strictly for making mojitos. The premix stuff at your local watering hole is not so hot though.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i just learned how to make my own mai tai, instead of spending $8 at the chinese restaurant. It was not half bad:

upload_2018-7-22_17-29-43.png

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i just learned how to make my own mai tai, instead of spending $8 at the chinese restaurant. It was not half bad:

View attachment 241016
We have the same recipe. My wife swears they're as good as the Ming Tai's at Lotus in the 'ham.

Except I use Cointrau at the moment (high end version of triple sec, but expensive). I'll fall back to the 3s when it runs out.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Except I use Cointrau at the moment (high end version of triple sec, but expensive). I'll fall back to the 3s when it runs out.
triple sec is just cheap orange liquor. cointro, grand marnier, etc are high end orange liquors. Substitution IS allowed!

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
triple sec is just cheap orange liquor. cointro, grand marnier, etc are high end orange liquors. Substitution IS allowed!
Before I knew that, I got some of that ridiculously expensive Cointreau. Then somewhere along the line I realized it was the same thing as triple Sec, just twice as much money.. . Well, it does seem a little better, but not twice better.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We have the same recipe. My wife swears they're as good as the Ming Tai's at Lotus in the 'ham.

Ugh.. Mai Tais are one of my things so please try this:

Clement Martinique vsop 5yr (light)
Appleton estate 12yr (dark) or you can just use this if you like.
3/4 oz orange curacao (specifically curacao of curacao brand) or, yes, Cointreau but that ups the alcohol.
juice of a whole lime
1/2 oz orgeat (almond syrup)
1/4 simple syrup
shake

There is your Mai Tai.

Last edited:

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

3/4 oz orange curacao (specifically curacao of curacao brand) or, yes, Cointreau but that ups the alcohol.
juice of a whole lime
1/4 simple syrup
shake

There is your Mai Tai.
Filed for a late summer trial run. Some of that will take a while to locate.

Shake room temp or shake with ice?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Filed for a late summer trial run. Some of that will take a while to locate.

Shake room temp or shake with ice?
Shake room temp then add crushed ice or shake with cubes is fine. You'll love it and will never look at a mai tai the same way, I promise. Substituting is fine - triple sec, amaretto et cetra but sour mix, pineapple juice or grenadine dont belong anywhere near a mai tai. The ingredients are meant to keep the rum the star of the show. The receipe i gave you is circa 1944 minus the J wray and Nephew 17yr rum which isnt made anymore and costs 60K if you can manage to find a bottle.

Last edited:

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Shake room temp then add crushed ice or shake with cubes is fine. You'll love it and will never look at a mai tai the same way, I promise. Substituting is fine - triple sec, amaretto et cetra but sour mix, pineapple juice or grenadine dont belong anywhere near a mai tai. The ingredients are meant to keep the rum the star of the show. The receipe i gave you is circa 1944 minus the J wray and Nephew 17yr rum which isnt made anymore and costs 60K if you can manage to find a bottle.
Not ashamed to admit it; $60k for a bottle would stretch even MY resources a bit.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Before I knew that, I got some of that ridiculously expensive Cointreau. Then somewhere along the line I realized it was the same thing as triple Sec, just twice as much money.. . Well, it does seem a little better, but not twice better.
There is a difference. You can drink Cointreau straight up. You would not want to drink a glass of triple sec though

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

juice of a whole lime
1/4 simple syrup
shake

There is your Mai Tai.

there must be about a hundred mai tai recipes. I tend to shy away from ones that have weird hard to find liquors in them....as it is pretty easy to substitute other common things to get the same flavor. at 1/3 the cost.

Top Bottom