• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's your favorite bipod?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I'm putting together a new bench/prone rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor using the Savage 10 BA Stealth platform. I'm looking at bipods for it that will connect to the sling swivel stud. I've used Harris bipods in the past with decent luck. Thinking of heading in that direction again, but am wondering if there are better options out there. Seeing a lot of people using Atlas, which are expensive, as well as CVLife/UTG, which are pretty cheap. Don't want to cheap out but wondering what others are using.

Thanks

I have an Atlas on my AR w/quick detach, thing's built like a tank! No experience with swivel stud mounting.

-chris

I've had decent luck with Caldwell XLA bipod, in particular the pivot model. Does what you need. If you're going for SOLID, BENCHREST COMPETITION PRECISION, it may not be up to the task. But for normal shooting fun at the range, it'll do fine.

when possible i run a pic rail for bipod attachment and use an atlas with ADM QD mount. the atlas is phenomenal but i'm not sure it can be adapted to a sling swivel stud. magpul has a new bipod out but it looks plastic to me (i haven't seen one so should reserve judgment). however also not clear to me how you'd get fromt he magpul to a sling swivel. if limited to a sling swivel stud mount then would opt for a harris. as mentioned above the caldwell also does fine especially if not adjusting it too much. i have a pic rail caldwell which for totally flat surfaces like a shooting bench works great.

Atlas, there are decent knockoffs but the real deal is solid..
Most could probably get by with less expensive options..
Full auto just ruins just anything so fast its more economical to buy the real gear in the long run.

I’ve had Harris and Atlas PSR. Also tried both with the LaRue Tactical QD rail mount (which is awesome).

My Rec: If shooting prone and bench, Harris BRM-S with KMW PodLoc (a must) and skip the LaRue mount.

If shooting competition scenarios (barriers, window sills, etc.) Atlas PSR with LaRue QD.

You could save $$$, go with a Harris (or even cheaper) and shoot off a bag. Consider a bipod a last resort rest, that you use when nothing more stable is available.a good sock/wedge/rear bag is important. I like the Triad tactical small wedge, but if you get into precision and/or long range, you'll end up with a drawer full of that stuff anyway. Ask me how I know.

My Rec: If shooting prone and bench, Harris BRM-S with KMW PodLoc (a must) .....

I agree that the KMW Podloc (or a similar quick locking device) on the bipod is a must. Allows you to quickly level rifle on tilting bipod and lock it in. Ones I have work on Harris or Caldwell bipods

I mostly use Harris BRM-S. I surprisingly found it equal or better than using a separate front rest off a bench, and a much lighter alternative. (In both cases used with a rear bag). Now part of standard range gear. I use it for load development.

I have tried the Caldwell version, at about 1/3 price of Harris. Close, but a bit more flex(?), it seems to take longer to steady a shot before u send it. If you’re happy shooting 6 inch gongs at 300 it will do. I do not use it for load development.

If you want sub 2” groups at 300 so you can hit 9” targets at 600 yards I’d say Harris. Using Caldwell here I felt I was working harder for similar results.

Back
Top Bottom