• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

whats your carry round of choice?

hey doctordrew, i remember you and your coworker talking about the para ordinance warthog....point being, i was snooping around at R&R sport shop in Belchertown, MA...and they have one there for 7 - almost 800. it looked to be in great shape. dont know if thats a fair price or not. figured i'd let ya know.

Buffalo Bore 38 Special 158 grain +P lead SWC hollow points in my wheelguns. A 158 grain bullet going 1000 fps out of a 15 ounce revolver will get your attention. In my K frame, it's a pussycat.

Speer Gold Dot 9 mm 124 gr in my 915.

9mm = Speer GDHP 124 gr +P.

.45 ACP = Speer GDHP 230 gr / Win Ranger 230 gr (RA45T?)
Rem Golden Sabre 230gr
Taurus/PMC/barnes 185 gn copper hex (this stuff is
great out of a lightweight .45... )

.40 SW = 165 gr Win DEA contract load; will probably switch over
to Federal Tactical 165 gr once my supply of the other stuff is
gone. Also like Speed GDHP 180 gn load.

.357 Mag = Speer Short Barrel Load ( 135 gn, use it in SW640)
Speer 125 gn GDHP (I use this in the 686 ).

I would never use gimmick ammo like Magsafe, Extreme Shock, etc... all of those are pure crap.

Someone mentioned EFMJ- I'd also never use that, unless I was
one of the few that had an NJ CCW... that's all its really good for... they don't expand as well as a regular JHP does. IIRC one or
two PDs were actually using them and eventually dumped them...
that's enough for me to strike it off the list.

-Mike

Western MA

Hi Folks! New to this site, so I figured I'd jump in with this thread. Just bought a SP101 .357 with 2" bbl.. Tried two brands of PD rounds; Speer 125 grn. Gold Dots and Cor Bons 125 grn. JHP's. The Speers shot much tighter groups than the Cor Bons - which surprised me greatly, as I've been hearing a lot about the Cor Bon bullets. Anyway, in regards to this thread, I'm almost affraid to "like" or "prefer" any one brand over another, simply because there doesn't appear to be any retailers in my area that can guarantee they can keep me supplied! One time they only have Remington. Next it's the Cor Bons....or Speer's. Does anyone else have the same problem trying to consistently find their prefered ammo? Thanks for having me folks! [grin]

crestliner: where do you live? Im sure we (me and people on this board) know of shops that are well stocked around you)
other than that, buy in bulk!!
*edit* HP ammo should last you a while, assuming you dont run into BG's much : )

what caliber for Pers Prot. do you Refer

I was curious to find out what common cartridges are being used, for personal protection/home defense? Any recomendations or output is appreciated.... please include reason for such gun/cal.

For home defense, I choose my Sig P226 in 9mm, loaded with hydra-shock ammo.

• I shoot this handgun more accurately than any other I own (except 22lr).
  • Ammo is cheap for it, so I can continue to practice and get better.
  • The magazine holds 15.
  • Hydra-shock ammo does such a great job on watermelons, that I think it will be effective for home defense.

This question comes up a lot for me and I would have to say that FWIW the majority of folks I talk to claim that the best home defense piece is the Remington 870 with buckshot. I don't have one in a suitable dimension, but if I did, I would like to keep both the Sig and the shotgun accessible for a time of need.

Speer Gold Dot in .38 +P. My 4" model 66 shoots these very well, recoil is very manageable, and it is rugged, reliable... wait that's the GP100... it's very safe and reliable.

.45 - i tend to lean towards the Remmington 230gr JHP's. They are priced in the $17 to $22 range for a box of 25 in my area. I like the round nose and fired off a couple boxes through each of my .45 ACP's - Ruger and SW1911 without any issues

9mm - i go with Hydrashock JHP's. the price is "ok" but it's pretty commonly stocked as well. my main carry gun for the summer is 9mm, so I shot 75 rounds of this stuff through the M&P9c and another 25 through the Para Tac-9 w/o issues.

.45 ACP-- Hornady T.A.P. 200 grain +P JHP in my compacts(higher velocities)
or Remington Golden Saber 230 grain JHP in my full sized models.

9mm ---- Federal Hydrashok 147 grain JHP (standard pressure) in full size models, +P in my compacts.

I have used Cor-Bon ammo in both calibers as well, not bad. Speer is top quality, too.

Every day: 115 gr CorBon +P 9mm Luger in a S&W 910
Deep woods: 158 gr Sierra GK .357 magnum in a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk
Flip-flops on the beach: 22 LR CCI Stingers in a Taurus PT22 (in a resealable plastic pouch to keep out the sea and sand)

Just an opinion (with some data to back it):

147's do not perform well in 9mm. Too big and slow to open like a hollowpoint should. I came into a few hundred rounds of the Fed HydraShock (turned in by police when they went to 40 S&W), and they are not as accurate, and kick a lot more than the CorBon 115s even though the CorBons are leaving the muzzle wih a lot more zip. Just an FYI

Last edited:
Every day: 115 gr CorBon +P 9mm Luger in a S&W 910
Deep woods: 158 gr Sierra GK .357 magnum in a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk
Flip-flops on the beach: 22 LR CCI Stingers in a Taurus PT22 (in a resealable plastic pouch to keep out the sea and sand)

Just an opinion (with some data to back it):

147's do not perform well in 9mm. Too big and slow to open like a hollowpoint should. I came into a few hundred rounds of the Fed HydraShock (turned in by police when they went to 40 S&W), and they are not as accurate, and kick a lot more than the CorBon 115s even though the CorBons are leaving the muzzle wih a lot more zip. Just an FYI

Wheres the data? Lets look at info from the Winchester LE website

compare the 127 +p+ gr and 147gr Rangers. http://www.winchester.com/lawenforcement/doc/LEDocs/RA9TA.doc

http://www.winchester.com/lawenforcement/doc/LEDocs/RA9T.doc

The 147gr does everything better. Penetration, expansion and weight retention, all better than the lighter and +p+ round. With dated rounds like the Hydra-shok I wouldn't go 147, but with modern bullets like the Winchester Rangers, Speer Gold-dots, and Federal HST's I'll go 147.

favorite carry rds.

what are you carrying?

22 lr: cci stinger

22 mag.: ww jhp

7.62 x 25 tokarev: s&b 85 gr. fmj

32. auto: speer gold dot 60 gr. gdhp

.380: fiocchi 95 gr. jhp, rem. golden sabre 102 gr. jhp

38 super: ww 125 gr. silvertip +p

9mm: ww 115 gr. hi-shok jhp

.357 mag. and 38 special : federal 158 gr. hydra shock jhp

40 s&w: Federal 135 gr hydra shock jhp, rem. 165 gr golden sabre jhp

45 auto: 230 gr. rem. golden sabre jhp

10 mm.: pmc 170 gr. jhp [smile][wink]

Last edited:
I'm surprised how many people still like the hydra-shock considering how old and poor a design it is. It is quality ammo, will go boom every time and most likely do the job, but it is a poor JHP design. From so many tests I see it appears about 75% of that stuff will perform like FMJ if the target is wearing clothes. The Federal HST I believe is supposed to replace it and is getting excellent reviews with good performance through all sorts of barriers.

I carry the 124gr HST 9mm in my P99AS (non +P) and the 230gr HST .45 in my Sig P220.

I used to LOVE Triton ammo, but alas, they are no more. That stuff was hot like Corbon, only it was high quality and went boom every time. I stopped buying Corbon years ago. Inconsistent, unreliable junk. I wonder if they put all their QA into the DPX line (copper bullets) and that's why their normal JHP suffered. That stuff interests me, but I can't find it in MA, and I still got a bad taste in my mouth from several boxes of their standard ammo that literally did not go off, or did not go off until the 2nd or 3rd trigger pull. When my practice ammo becomes more reliable than my carry ammo, I switch brands and don't look back for a good while. Period. YMMV.

9mm hydrashocks
357 golddots
45 wolf gold
44 magnum hornady hp's
44 special havent decided yet

12 gauge- #4 bk staggered with 00

if they get through that. Well. I suppose I would start praying.

TO be honest it will all work so I just buy what the store has on hand, and dont worry about it. I shoot a box 1st then carry.

Back
Top Bottom