• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's Wrong with Me?

JonJ

NES Member
So the House votes to make over the counter sales of HYPO's legal so that drug addicts can shoot up easier, even though shooting up is illegal.
In Mass Bars cannot have Happy Hour because it may cause someone to drink too much but drinking is legal.
In Mass I can't buy the guns that I want because the AG finds that they may not be safe for me but I can posses guns legally.
In Mass I can't buy Ammo by mail order but I can buy it here and posses it legally.
In Mass I have to wear my seatbelt or wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle but I can drive a car or ride a cycle legally.
WTF! [evil]
Feel free to add to the list!

It is just plane "Irony with Hypocrisy" MA loves it. If something makes sense to you it will not make sense to a politician, I mean they just turned down the death penalty bill Romney tried to pass for cop killers and such, I do not get it either.

another one... why is killing a cop or govt employee worse than killing me or you?

I guess we're just not that important in the scheme of things. After all it's real easy to replace a commoner, it's a natural thing, there'll always be more of 'us' coming along.

Pilgrim said:
another one... why is killing a cop or govt employee worse than killing me or you?

I guess we're just not that important in the scheme of things. After all it's real easy to replace a commoner, it's a natural thing, there'll always be more of 'us' coming along.
You're right, there is no difference no matter who it is. A life is a life.
However if they can slip in the Death Penalty for Cops or other Govt Employees, it will hopefully open the door at some time to make it for any life taken.
Like the National CCW bill. Cops can right now, it's a foot in the door.

I didn't hear the final count on the vote - did they get enough to override a veto??

As much as I don't like it (and I'm an insulin dependent diabetic by injection here guys), at least they are HANDING them out to druggies. I've fought that one tooth and nail. I've written numerous letters to our old Sen., telling him that if I have to PAY for my needles to LIVE, then I'm going to save all my used ones up and bring them down to whereever they're handing them out and trade mine in for new ones. I'm not the one breaking the law, but if THEY get a hand out, then dammit, I'm getting one too. That seemed to work. :D

I don't know what the final count was Lynne.
And smart thinking on your part with the needle exchange.
I forgot another one.....
In Mass the Libs want to give Illegal Aliens "in state" college tuition rates but an immigrant here legally (in the US) has to pay full boat.

JonJ said:
Pilgrim said:

You're right, there is no difference no matter who it is. A life is a life.
However if they can slip in the Death Penalty for Cops or other Govt Employees, it will hopefully open the door at some time to make it for any life taken.
Like the National CCW bill. Cops can right now, it's a foot in the door.

I agree, I feel Mit had to say cop killers instead of just a general murderer, if he didn't it would have probably been pushed off the desk and not even looked into for vote.

Nearly everything the MA legislature does is geared toward benefitting, or rewarding in some way, those inclined to, or proven to, break the law. Cases in point.

Gun Control: Disarms the law-abiding, provides criminals with defenseless victims

Legalizing the sale of hypodermic needles: Benefits only two groups of people, those who use illicit drugs and those who would be inclined to use one as an offensive weapon in the commission of a crime.

Tuition breaks for Illegal Aliens: Rewards those in violation of the law, punishes taxpaying citizens, financially, and is a slap in the face to those who are outside the country following the immigration laws waiting for their paperwork to go through.

Drivers licenses for illegal aliens: Um...see above.

State controlled car insurance rates: Rewards bad drivers by having their insurance payments subsidized by good drivers. How do you become a bad driver? Violate the laws pertaining to the safe operation of a motor vehicle. How do you get to be labeled a good driver? Obey the law.

ALMOST makes you wonder whose side are these people on.

As if it's not obvious.

I am always somewhat amused by those who promote unfettered personal freedom, yet want to restrict what items I can buy or what my wife can do with her body or whatever.

Many states do in fact allow the sale of hypdermic needles. Actually if you are into gun maintenance, a hypo is a valuable tool for lubrication, and there are other uses as well.

Now let's suppose that drug addicts have a cheap and easy access to hypos. Who is going to benefit in the long run ? We, the tax paying citizens because they are going to be less likely to catch hepititis, HIV or any number of other diseases that come from using dirty needles. Who pays for their health care ? We do, the regular middle class Americans who bear the brunt of the economic support of society. If having "clean works" is going to save me a few dollars paying for indigent health-care, then why not ?

As for having capital punishment for cop killers only, Pilgrim is once again right on the money in my opinion. No one group of persons life is worth more than another group. To those who say, well its a start and it will open the door just like the national CCW law for cops will open the door, I would respectfully suggest that it is a good thought but a flawed one. Once the cops have theirs, do you honestly think they care about the rest of us ? This is another thing that I hope that I am wrong about, but I have yet to see evidence of the contrary. The national CCW reciprocity bill proposed will probably die and obscure death.

Well, excuse me but I have to go back to drinking from my half empty glass now.

Mark

mark056 said:
Now let's suppose that drug addicts have a cheap and easy access to hypos. Who is going to benefit in the long run ? We, the tax paying citizens because they are going to be less likely to catch hepititis, HIV or any number of other diseases that come from using dirty needles. Who pays for their health care ? We do, the regular middle class Americans who bear the brunt of the economic support of society. If having "clean works" is going to save me a few dollars paying for indigent health-care, then why not ?

But in the long run... If they shoot each other up with dirty needles and get HIV/Aids or what not and DIE from it.. There is NO financial burden after that. Dead, Gone, of their own doing. However, we keep them healthy while they are shooting up, so they have the strength to rob/mug/murder for their drug money?

WRONG way to do it... If they want to shoot up with dirty needles... LET THEM!

Adam

mark056 said:

Won't work Mark. You're still going to have to pay for them, clean needles or not. The majority of them are either getting food stamps, MA Health, rehab (probably for the umpteenth time), SSD, etc. etc. etc. We're still paying for them, no matter what they (our legicritters) do.

"Ya, I do."

Jon,

Easy for you to say since I believe that you are on the Job. I don't see the Police Departments in this state bending over backwards collectively to help gun owners here, or nation-wide.

Sure, I've known plenty of folks in law enforcement who are pro-gun, I even work with a few...but by and large they are the rank and file. I think a lot of police officers of my generation and before were pretty decent when it came to having private citizens owning firearms, but I think that is changing.

When I can get an ALP in Boston or carry a gun in Chicago, DC or San Francisco, or even Worcester maybe my attitude will change.

BTW could I get an ALP in Plymouth ?

Regards,

Mark

mark056 said:
"Ya, I do."

Jon,

Easy for you to say since I believe that you are on the Job. I don't see the Police Departments in this state bending over backwards collectively to help gun owners here, or nation-wide.

Sure, I've known plenty of folks in law enforcement who are pro-gun, I even work with a few...but by and large they are the rank and file. I think a lot of police officers of my generation and before were pretty decent when it came to having private citizens owning firearms, but I think that is changing.

When I can get an ALP in Boston or carry a gun in Chicago, DC or San Francisco, or even Worcester maybe my attitude will change.

BTW could I get an ALP in Plymouth ?

Regards,

Mark
You're right Mark, things are changing. In the days when you could get a 25 cent cup of coffee... That's when the Brady Bunch didn't exist and people thought that it was as much their civic duty to join the NRA as it was to vote. No one bitched about "One Nation Under God" or the Ten Commandments hanging in a public building. Democrats were the common sense party, now they're far and few between, like Zell Miller.

The political climate (read public opinion polls) dictates now and it's people like out AG that foster this stuff to further their politcal career and nothing else. It then trickles down to the brass of the Departments who worry about budgets and manpower. The Dept's enforce the laws, not make them. The politicians that we have elected have created this.

I work with guys who could care less one way or the other about our 2nd Amendment rights. It doesn't affect them in the least and many of these same guys are currenlty in the military or were in the past.
It up to us now to educate and I do every chance I get.

I still hold to my statement about getting a foot in the door and then trying to open it further in the future. I've negotiated many a labor contract and some language is better than none
Are you against CCW nation wide for LEO's and a death penalty law for LEO's and other Govt employees where no death penalty law doesn't exist now?

BTW: Yes, you can get an ALP in Plymouth. Don't try for your MG License though [evil]

I have no problem at all with a National CCW for police officers, however, I don't believe that it is a foot in the door for nation-wide reciprocity for civilians. I also think that it is a de facto way of nationalizing our local police departments. I don't really favor the death penalty because I remain unconvinced that it really is a deterrent and there have been enough studies that show it costs more to incarcerate an inmate on death row for the 10 to 20 years that he or she is going through the appellate process than it does to incarcerate an inmate for life. No, I don't believe that there should be a special class of people for whom the death penalty is reserved. That reminds me of days of old when the penalty for killing a noble was worse than killing a peasant.

What I do favor, though, are realistic sentences. Life imprisonment means exactly that and I do not favor indeterminate sentencing. I favor fixed terms. This country's penal system made a valiant attempt at rehabilitation in the 1970's and 1980's and it didn't work. I also favor the three strkes type law. Yeah, I know that there have been people who have gotten life sentences for stealing a pack of cigarettes, but, hey the law was explained to them before they decided to offend again. One of the reasons that crime is down is that we have so many people in prison now and as you know better than me approx 15 percent of the criminal population commit 80 percent of the crimes (different stats from different studies, of course, but I think I'm in the ballpark).

I'd legalize drugs and recognize drug addiction as a medical problem not a criminal justice problem. I'd also favor some kind of state monopoly on the sale of drugs (Your New Hampshire Liquor Stores are an example). While it is arguable that prostitution is not a victimless crime, I'd still legalize it. I'd also permit abortion.

This is not a panacea for the solution of all problems, but sometimes I think that the negative effects of what can be controlled, can be minimized.

I am not anti-law enforcement certainly, money that I earn from the crminal justice system supports my wife and myself, but I am not a "police buff" or more precisely a police synchophant, in other words I do what I do because I more or less fell into it, not because, like so many police synchophants, I couldn't pass the entrance exam or have enough juice to get on the Job. I remain unconvinced that the police are my friends as an institution. The function of the police is to provide collective security and law enforcement for society and the state, in my opinion.

So, that's more than what you asked...but that's pretty much it.

Stay safe,

Mark

I can live with all of that, Mark.

Death sentences can be a deterent, though, since the executed person will NEVER commit a crime again.

As to death penalties for killing politicians and LEO's only, like you, I don't favor that. In fact death penalty for murder isn't the important one. Death for 2nd offense rape or child molestation is the one I want, since they WILL do it again, when released.

And I DO NOT favor waiting 10+ years to execute them. ONE appeal, automatically, straight to the US Supreme Court, whether they want one or not, ONE year to prepare it, no longer. Then, after the appeal is finalized, public execution within 30 days.

Nickle said:
And I DO NOT favor waiting 10+ years to execute them. ONE appeal, automatically, straight to the US Supreme Court, whether they want one or not, ONE year to prepare it, no longer. Then, after the appeal is finalized, public execution within 30 days.

Like Texas. If three creditable eye witnesses see, then you get no appeals. As Ron White says, in Texas, not only do they use the Death Penality, they have an express lane.

It sort of scares me when the Mass legislature does something that makes sense, because it's so out of character for them that I have to wonder what they're trying to set me up for. Legalizing sales of hypodermic needles is IMNSHO one of those rare, sensible things. Back in the dark ages of a free America, needle sales were unregulated. As a result, they were very inexpensive for those of us with diabetes and other medical conditions requiring regular injections.

Then government noticed a problem. It seems that some people were using needles in a manner deemed illegal, injecting unapproved chemicals or injecting approved chemicals in an unapproved way. So the government decided to solve this problem by restricting needle sales. Of course people kept on using them in naughty ways, but the suddenly became a lot more expensive regardless of how one intended to use them. (BTW, does any of this sound vaguely familiar so far?) Medical expenses went up for those using them as they were originally intended, and people using them for other purposes started reusing them, resulting in the spread of infections and diseases.

So once again, government stepped in to "solve" the problem, not noticing that the problem was entirely its own creation, the result of a policy that was doing everything but its intended job. To "solve" the first problem, they started screaming for mandatory and/or state-run health care programs. These, of course, made things even more expensive, but they spread the costs around in a "fair" manner (i.e., one that tended to attract a large numbers of votes from those who either weren't paying the bills, or for whom the amount was too small for them to notice). To "solve" the second problem, they arranged to supply "free" (i.e. paid for by other people) needles to the junkies.

All that the legislature as done here is to eliminate a policy (restrictions on needle sales) that was not only not accomplishing its intended purpose, but also creating significant additional problems. Other than that lurking fear caused by their acting in a seeming reasonable manner, what exactly is the downside to that?

Ken

JonJ said:
Never brought it to a vote. They're going to wait until next year and revive it.

Why doesn't that surprise me? That means only one thing...the constituants DID NOT want it, ergo, they let it drop before vaca. It also means that they didnt' have the votes to override a veto.

Thanks Jon.

Lynne said:
Why doesn't that surprise me? That means only one thing...the constituants DID NOT want it, ergo, they let it drop before vaca. It also means that they didnt' have the votes to override a veto.

Thanks Jon.
Butta Bing!

Back
Top Bottom