• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's worth picking up at the range?

Hi all, i'm new to shooting and I don't reload (yet) but I have made a habit of grabbing any brass I come across at the range and bringing it home and sorting it, I end up with alot of 9MM military brass and a fair amount of .223 military brass, I figured maybe one day when the pile grew big enough I could offer it up to someone here. Being new, what's worth picking up and what should I chuck? Keeping in mind I don't pick up steel or aluminum.

-John

That .223 stuff you are getting off the ground is junk! Please put it in a box and ship it to me, I will get rid of it for you.[rofl]

Just kidding..... if you get a bunch of .223 and want to sell/trade/scrap let me know.

worse case scenario anything you can't get rid of is worth something in scrap. I have been doing the same I don't reload yet but I pick up my brass not others. mainly .223 and 9mm and .380

i'm not feeling motivated today... so pretend i went to google images and posted a picture of a scantily-clad hot redheaded chick holding a large firearm....

ETA: oh, and make sure the range is ok with you picking up brass.... (if you mean brass other than what you brought...)
some use it as payment for volunteers or other use....

i'm not feeling motivated today... so pretend i went to google images and posted a picture of a scantily-clad hot redheaded chick holding a large firearm....

Green bros got your back.

Fifth_Element,_The_01.JPG

I pick up everything! Heck I even bring one of those broom magnets and pick up the steel cases....I have several buckets for the steel, aluminum and brass unwanted.
When the buckets are full and scrap is high I cash in the junk. proceeds goto jr fishing durby/jr shooters. All the brass I dont use, well its easy to find homes for it. I have one shooter who trades me 10- 5.56 brass for 1 41,44, and any of the larger surplus rifle cals. 303,swiss ect ect. Works out nice. Eventually you find sources for everything.

If I sweep it up, it comes home with me. If I didn't fire it and it doesn't fit anything I own, It goes into a bucket with all of the "Other" stuff. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it, but there is still time.

I pick up all the brass left the rifle range at my club unless someone else gets to it first. I've been saving the .223 for when I decide to reload, otherwise it goes into a 5 gallon pail for the brass and I have a smaller one for the steel to eventually go to the scrap yard. I don't bother collecting the pistol ammo as the bays are all dirt and littered with cases that have been ground into the soil and exposed to the weather. The rifle area is a nice concrete pad with a covered roof so they stay nice and clean (relatively at least).

worse case scenario anything you can't get rid of is worth something in scrap. I have been doing the same I don't reload yet but I pick up my brass not others. mainly .223 and 9mm and .380

If you have no use for the .380's, I'll be happy to take them off your hands. [smile]

If you have no use for the .380's, I'll be happy to take them off your hands. [smile]

I'll have to start a stash for you then. Every time I find a .380 in my 9mm brass I get pissed off at it and throw it in the trash. If I can go my whole life without reloading .380 ACP I'll be perfectly happy with that. [laugh]

-Mike

I'd be happy to give them to you but I don't really have enough worth giving to you right now. (only about 30 cases)

Do yourself a big favor and get one of these. I resisted for awhile thinking it was a needless expense. I finally broke down after seeing someone else use one. It saves a tremendous ammout of time if you pick up range brass or your own brass when shooting different calibers.

NEW-209.jpg

ShellSorter.jpg

Do yourself a big favor and get one of these. I resisted for awhile thinking it was a needless expense. I finally broke down after seeing someone else use one. It saves a tremendous ammout of time if you pick up range brass or your own brass when shooting different calibers.

NEW-209.jpg

ShellSorter.jpg

That's a great idea! Thanks KC

I pick up pretty much all I can find. I load mostly pistol. I sell the junk as scrap. I'll trade or load everything else. I might have a 10,000 40S&W cases. Close to that in 9MM too. Fortunately a lot more people are shooting .380. It took 10 years to save my first 1000 and now I've added 2000 more in the last 2 years. I don't load much for rifle calibers so I trade most of them away when I have enough. I save 223/5.56, 30-30, and 308. Everything else is trade bait.

It doesn't take too much scrap brass to bring enough $$ for a 1000 primers or couple boxes of ammo.

I'm currently looking for 44 magnum and 32 win special brass.

Last edited:
I take it all and keep some for trading and scrap the rest.

I just scrapped 140 pounds last week. It was good for $235.00. Make sure you sort out the steel case (easy to do with a magnet from an old speaker) and the Aluminum casestuff otherwise you'll get half as much per pound.

I usually toss the aluminum and steel in coffee cans and bring it with me and leave them with the scrap guy. The amounts are so small they aren't worth anything. Its more to reinforce that I've sorted it and get the better grade price.

In the past year, I've probably scrapped 600lbs in and traded for 1000+ pieces of .45 Colt brass.

I scrap . 40 S&W, 9mm, & .223. I kept for a while bit, there's so much of it out there it not worth much for trading, easier to scrap it and move on.

Last edited:
ya I'm with everyone else, if you are there and so is the brass, usually gives me time to talk with the person/s I'm with. What we liked, didn't so on, not really going nuts but getting most of what I /we shot and possible a little more, bring it home and tumble the sh@t out of it then sort it out over a beer or two. It also is a good time to look over the supplies and formulate a grocery list for the future.
tex

Back
Top Bottom