• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Whats with no hunting on Sundays in Maine?

I'm moving to Maine in June and there is no hunting allowed on Sundays. From what I've read, it started out as one of those blue laws. Most blue laws have been repealed except this. I've had people tell me it's about the deer population and if they added Sunday hunting then they would have to shorten the season. I have not seen any science to back up the latter.
If it were about deer populations then why would they ban hunting for all species on Sunday and not just deer?
It seems more like anti-hunting than pro deer population.

No hunting in Connecticut on Sundays* too.

Can I hunt on Sunday in Connecticut?
Sunday hunting is allowed on licensed private shooting preserves and regulated dog training areas when the operator has permission from the town. Hunting may also take place on Sunday at permitted field trial events.

Licensed archery deer hunters can hunt on private land only on Sundays in ALL Deer Management Zones (zone map). Wild turkeys CANNOT be taken on Sunday anywhere in the state. All archery deer hunting on Sundays must take place at least 40 yards away from blazed hiking trails.

Might want to see if you can get in touch with local hunting and conservation groups to get the straight fecal matter. They might also be trying to repeal this and could need some help.

No hunting in Connecticut on Sundays* too.

You can hunt Sunday’s in Connecticut. Archery only; private land only.

Sunday hunting is allowed on licensed private shooting preserves and regulated dog training areas when the operator has permission from the town. Hunting may also take place on Sunday at permitted field trial events.

Licensed archery deer hunters can hunt on private land only on Sundays in ALL Deer Management Zones (zone map). Wild turkeys CANNOT be taken on Sunday anywhere in the state. All archery deer hunting on Sundays must take place at least 40 yards away from blazed hiking trails.

DEEP: Questions about Hunting

You can hunt Sunday’s in Connecticut. Archery only; private land only.

DEEP: Questions about Hunting
Isn't that what I word-for-word already posted? [grin]

I'm moving to Maine in June and there is no hunting allowed on Sundays. From what I've read, it started out as one of those blue laws. Most blue laws have been repealed except this. I've had people tell me it's about the deer population and if they added Sunday hunting then they would have to shorten the season. I have not seen any science to back up the latter.
If it were about deer populations then why would they ban hunting for all species on Sunday and not just deer?
Regular firearm season is a full month. Add 4 sundays, when there would be a ton more hunters in the woods because of no work on sundays, and you kill a lot more deer. Obviously the season would have to be shorter.

For those of you old enough to remember the "Blue Laws" there were a lot of things that you couldn't do on Sunday. The original reason was that people should be in church, not out shopping, hunting, drinking, etc...

Most of those have been repealed, but probably nobody ever thought to repeal the hunting prohibition. Which of course won't happen now.

Puritans were of the opinion that you had to be in Church, on Sunday, which was most of the day.

The Blue Laws pretty much all went back to that. Over time, advocacy groups chipped away, so stores and packies are now open. Hunters have insufficient political juice to get it changed. I don't think that, in Mass, anyways, a higher harvest would be a bad thing, in most Zones.,

I could pop at least one a week, off my deck, except for the fact that I'm in the suburbs [laugh]

back up about five-six words & there's your answer.

It's not just having to shorten the season length on deer for adding Sunday ....all season lengths would have to be shortened. The population models are calculated using hunting pressure as the detractor from the population. Add Sunday and you've added not just another day......but a other day that the number of hunters out there will be much higher due to being a weekend day. At a minumim You'd have to adjust the season overall length on deer grouse and snowshoe hare......and probably a few more game animals.

Another consideration on Sunday hunting is f and g staffing. If your adding another day if hunting each week the f and g will use this as leverage to get more funding for either OT hours or more officers. Not saying I support what f and g will do on the staffing......just stating what will happen.

Last edited:
But what about the hunting of other species on Sundays? A lot of justifications due to deer population but what about allowing squirrel, coyote, rabbit etc. hunting on Sundays and restricting just deer? How do they justify that?

But what about the hunting of other species on Sundays? A lot of justifications due to deer population but what about allowing squirrel, coyote, rabbit etc. hunting on Sundays and restricting just deer? How do they justify that?

Exactly... They justify it because we live in a liberal state that does not understand or appreciate the role hunting plays in maintaining and managing nature's balance. They would ban it entirely if they could. In fact, they try every year. Without fail - every year - they introduce bills to double or triple setback requirements - even for archery. They try to repeal the open field law. They have tried to repeal the conservation tax exemption = access law... They throw crap against the wall every year to make it more and more difficult to be a sportsman in this state and to deny us access to more and more lands.

Same population model calculations apply. If you allow Sundays (extra high pressure days) then that would have to be accounted for in the model.....well.....for squirrel and rabbit anyway......but for coyote I believe Maine is year round minus Sundays no limit so the plan is obviously eradication on them.

Exactly... They justify it because we live in a liberal state that does not understand or appreciate the role hunting plays in maintaining and managing nature's balance. They would ban it entirely if they could. In fact, they try every year. Without fail - every year - they introduce bills to double or triple setback requirements - even for archery. They try to repeal the open field law. They have tried to repeal the conservation tax exemption = access law... They throw crap against the wall every year to make it more and more difficult to be a sportsman in this state and to deny us access to more and more lands.
...and then bitch when the deer eat their expensive landscaping, the yotes eat their cats, ...

Aw jeez..jpg

No Sunday hunting in Massachusetts and Maine are the sole remnants of the old religious "Blue Laws" from a time when religion had more influence on the people's laws and lives. You can gamble, buy booze, work and open your business on Sunday now. No hunting on Sunday is the lone remaining religious blue law. The animal rights industry fights against removing the Sunday restriction for no other reason than they are withholding a hunting opportunity from you.

There are no biologically justifiable reasons to prevent Sunday hunting, only politically convenient ones.

It's not like the guys who have to toil 6 days a week to just get by are the ones who would benefit the most from some free range protein or anything.................

It also seems kind of odd that in these times of everything that is called out as Godless in the Bible becoming more important than everything that is , in this one case these edicts are still sacrosanct.

Last edited:
Another way to think about it; the entire M-F workweek is a legacy of the Blue Laws. Why not change them so you can have Tuesdays off instead of Sunday?

Regular firearm season is a full month. Add 4 sundays, when there would be a ton more hunters in the woods because of no work on sundays, and you kill a lot more deer. Obviously the season would have to be shorter.

We finally won Sunday hunting in Pennsylvania. The season didn’t change, although we have a long total season from archery through primitive our rifle season is on the short side at two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom