• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

whats with hunter in hunter hate

i hate on and **** with the hunters/poachers/jacklighters who camp on my border, cross over whenever the hell they feel like, and shoot 5-10 rounds at one deer, hell yeah. screw them. this season has been absolutely terrible for me, im fighting a constant war to keep the a**h***s off my 150 acres. no respect.

We found a pop up hunting blind a few weeks ago right behind my shooting blind. It seems like in this area, the good ole boys will hunt on anyone property without asking.

i hate on and **** with the hunters/poachers/jacklighters who camp on my border, cross over whenever the hell they feel like, and shoot 5-10 rounds at one deer, hell yeah. screw them. this season has been absolutely terrible for me, im fighting a constant war to keep the a**h***s off my 150 acres. no respect.

Stupid question but is your land posted? If so maybe you setup some trail cams up high around some of the breach areas and get pics. If not in NE unposted land is considered by common law to be "public", needs to be posted for people to keep out. (I'm assuming you have it posted but just in case)

Stupid question but is your land posted? If so maybe you setup some trail cams up high around some of the breach areas and get pics. If not in NE unposted land is considered by common law to be "public", needs to be posted for people to keep out. (I'm assuming you have it posted but just in case)

Do you have anything that says this? Because I know for a fact that this is not the case in Maine. This is taken from the Maine online regulations site. You should ALWAYS ask for permission, no matter what you may think common law is. Public land is public, private land is private and not yours to hunt on without permission.

12MEHD-MooseIcon-Seek-_opt.jpeg

http://www.eregulations.com/maine/hunting/general-hunting-provisions/

[cerberus];2701401 said:
Do you have anything that says this? Because I know for a fact that this is not the case in Maine. This is taken from the Maine online regulations site. You should ALWAYS ask for permission, no matter what you may think common law is. Public land is public, private land is private and not yours to hunt on without permission.

12MEHD-MooseIcon-Seek-_opt.jpeg

http://www.eregulations.com/maine/hunting/general-hunting-provisions/

Well, you've quoted a recommendation and a best practice. But, it may not necessarily be a legal requirement. We all know that some people do not follow best practices. And it may well be that private land is not illegal to hunt without permission, even though the state is encouraging hunters to always ask permission. Many people don't care, so long as it is not illegal.

I'm not sure about ME so this obviously may not apply but just to add to the discussion, in NH (atleast the areas that I'm familiar with hunting), its common knowledge and common practice that hunting private land is acceptable as long as it is not posted and you're not within 300 ft. of a dwelling, etc. Here is an excerpt from the Fish and Game website:

Common law in New Hampshire gives the public the right of access to land that's not posted. You won't find that in state law books, because it is common law, going back to the philosophy of New England's early colonists and supported over the centuries by case law. Our forefathers knew the importance of balancing the need for landowners' rights with that of the public good. On one hand, the landowner can make decisions about his or her land. On the other hand, the public should have limited rights to use and enjoy that land. The colonists held similar democratic notions about rivers, lakes, fish and wildlife.

Today, it's easy to take this notion for granted. In New Hampshire and elsewhere in New England, we enjoy a long, proud tradition of public use of private land.

This tradition also comes with a risk. A landowner who finds trash, disrespect or other problems can easily decide to post his or her land.

Residents of some Western states find this notion of private land/public use very strange. Hunters in some states pay hundreds of dollars in annual fees to landowners to hunt their lands. It's just another cost of hunting.

Other states have what's called reverse posting. Access is limited to land that's specifically posted for that use. If it's not posted, you can't go on it.

And some states require written landowner permission for hunting.

Here is the website:

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunt_landowner_hunter_FAQs.htm

Last edited:
Castration in the future. Screw cable locks. [wink]
In all seriousness, no more hunting on public land. Too much of a hastle for me lately.

Posted land may not be that much different. I have permission one a good piece of land. It is properly posted and nobody gives a crap. Lost a brand new hang on stand, they even unscrewed my steps.
As far as scumbag hunters go I believe if more people were working there would be less noobs that don't know crap about hunting and less a**h***s with no respect in the woods.

the land is posted, however, it is also illegal to be hunting on private property without written permission of the landowner here in CT

Wasn't paying attention that you were in CT, if that's the law then I agree 100%. As a hunter I never set foot on posted land, I'll skirt the edges but won't cross in. If I had enough land to make it worthwhile and I posted it I would want people to respect my choice to keep my private property private.

Back
Top Bottom