• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's the story behined the AR16A1 Kits

Have been deluged by adds for "Original" AR16A1 kits lately, Sarco, RTI and others. Did the military release a bunch of excess weapons? Why no barrels? Foreign imports?

Basically it's a replica of the original colt m16 from the Vietnam era I believe. Semi auto only.

he said "kits"

I'm not sure and I haven't seen good info on their origin, I'd like to know too. It seems like they got out of storage and usually in pretty rough shape, at least that's the B kits that you see now. A's are gone.

There are replica 80% receivers available for well over 100, but they are identical to cheapo Andersen's with a small indent on the back, being the only difference.

Was thinking that they came from overseas, since there were no barrels included and you can't import barrels anymore?

These I believe came out of Canada?
Years ago many garand kits came from Canada also.
The M16 found its way to many governments and military so surplus can come from anywhere.
Careful ordering kits that do have barrels. They are generally not install ready. I got a kit from sarco barrel was in the white and front sight base pin notches where in cut

I will add the A1 stock material deteriorated over time. Gets brittle and flakey.

I couldn't understand them. I guess some people enjoy futzing with them. If I really wanted one, I'd find a local seller of an old Colt (there are a few dealers who keep getting them in on a consistent basis) or buy one of the Retro uppers from Brownells.

Sad to see the quality is worse than advertised.

Any update on the source of these. Just got hit with another round of advertising?

Looks like sarco still has them with optional new barrels. They look damn cool all beat up like they are. I wish that stupid machine gun barrel import ban would go away. I'd love one of those kits with an original barrel.

i'll say one thing, these sellers definitions of condition is way different than mine. at one time i was looking around for a1 stocks, impossible at the time. one of these guys advertised excellent grade a1s, i bought 3, but oh man, really rough shape. ya know they aren't gonna be new but maybe they found a bunch of take offs from 50 years ago that got lost until now. no such luck.

Back
Top Bottom