What's the quickest, most efficient way for a homeowner to kill a maple tree?

sbi

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have this maple "tree" (looks more like a bush) that hijacked a nice bush we have (it has purple flowers and smells really good, don't know what it's called). This maple tree basically took over somehow and grew in the middle of purple bush, climbing to crazy heights and most importantly its roots penetrate my sewer line, causing damage (sewer back-flow into the basement) and cost me money every 6 months via calling sewer service to come in and clean the roots. Murphy's law dictates that it happens on weekends so it cost me extra for weekend fee.
I cut the 4 big stems of the maple down, now I need to kill it.
What's the best way other than digging the whole thing out?

Thanks.

FiremanBob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Your bush is probably a lilac. The maple is hard to kill without herbicide which will probably seep into the soil and damage everything around the tree. But after a winter you can replant in the area.

Reactions: jpm

gxx9sdb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I would cut the stem and then 'paint' (don't spray!) the fresh cut stump with brush killer or something else designed to kill trees.
Or explosives..

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Of all the places that Maple tree could have picked to grow, it chose that spot.

Move the bush and the sewer line ~ leave the tree...

Trees
By Joyce Kilmer

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Last edited:

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Look at the bright side. If you go the chem/poison route, you might have a nice "Round-Up" style payout in 5 or 10 years... for your kids.

BaldAssCat

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've had luck with a trash bag over the stump to keep it from sprouting anything new.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ring it and paint with bottom paint (for boats) with a high cuprous oxide content. Or something with tributyltin, if you can find it.
ETA: you paint the part you ringed.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd vote for Girdling. Simply cut away about 4" of bark all around the biggest stem as close to the ground as possible with a sharp knife. The fluids that feed the tree through the xylem and phloem found just under the bark will be totally interrupted and the tree will die. IT won't harm the other bush, probably a Lilac. There are a bunch of varieties around here, purple being the most popular. A stray maple could easily spout in a convenient niche and grow quickly.

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
What's the quickest, most efficient way to kill a maple tree?

After harvesting the sap this Spring, cut the tree up for firewood to evap it down Amber #2...

Top Bottom