What's the most $$$ you have lost on selling a firearm?

SHOCKNAWE

NES Member
I have sold 4 guns since I got into guns and my total loss out of pocket between the 4 guns and extras I think is around a total of $500, I never set out to sell any firearm I've acquired but early on my focus on what I wanted in my collection has changed so I got rid of what I no longer wanted, am I in the minority here? Have any of you taken overall losses getting rid of guns to upgrade or go in a different direction?

I once traded a new CZ SP-01 that I bought for about $600+ for a walnut K31 from 1943. The CZ was so easy to shoot and 18+1 capacity was awesome (I was not a prisoner of MA at the time), but it had this annoying extractor problem that caused it to spit brass directly in my face. I tried changing the recoil spring with a Wolff spring and that didn't help. The extractor looked fine. I was brand new to guns and didn't have enough knowledge or resources at the time to deal with it so I just traded the gun after disclosing the problem I had with it. I don't actually regret it that much because the K31 is great, but let's just say I didn't exactly get a deal on it.

Last edited:
Bought a warthog for $800 was happy to part with it with a $400 trade in

Even at that, you lucked out big time to even get that much... most smart dealers are doing this when they see a Para CrapHog...

94d58f6f.jpg

-Mike

I once traded a new CZ SP-01 that I bought for about $600+ for a walnut K31 from 1943. The CZ was so easy to shoot and 18+1 capacity was awesome (I was not a prisoner of MA at the time), but it had this annoying extractor problem that caused it to spit brass directly in my face. I tried changing the recoil spring with a Wolff spring and that didn't help. The extractor looked fine. I was brand new to guns and didn't have enough knowledge or resources at the time to deal with it so I just traded the gun after disclosing the problem I had with it. I don't actually regret it that much because the K31 is great, but let's just say I didn't exactly get a deal on it.
I can relate, I bought a SKS Sporter that jammed consistently for $375 and got so tired of it I sold it to Riley's for a tidy $200, they probably fixed it and sold it for $400

First you have to decide if you're selling or dreaming. Take a look at the classifieds and you'll know what I mean. Next, check on gun sites like Gunbroker and get a feel for its value, then add or subtract the Massachusetts supply and demand variance. If you ave priced it right for the market you shouldn't take a big hit unless item condition comes into play. Short answer, I lose about 10% (edit: checked. More like 20 percent) value on average. On rare occasions, like my Para (as another Para owner mentioned above) I get slammed and lose big time.

Last edited:
I haven't sold many, and the ones I have sold have usually gone for slightly more than I paid. Exceptions being a Star Model B that I sold for about $50 less than I paid, and my Hi-Point 9mm carbine that I think I sold for the original purchase price, but with several extra mags and a mag holder that I added.

Even at that, you lucked out big time to even get that much... most smart dealers are doing this when they see a Para CrapHog...

94d58f6f.jpg

-Mike

AAA guns. The bastard sold it to me and then got it back. He made $400 and got his gun back. Picked up a Sig with the trade money plus a couple hundred. Very happy with the sig

I had a 70's Colt Ace that I had to sell during a hard time in the 80's...I was only able to get $350 for it but I really needed the cash and there was nothing else I owned of any value. I about crapped my pants when Riley's told me that's all they'd give me for it but I needed the $$$. Even though it was a 70's model, it had all original stuff, box, tags, manual, etc and the bluing was achingly beautiful. I knew it was worth well over a kilobuck, even then. I still miss that gun...

I'm sort of debating whether to sell things or just keep them squirreled away. Would guns be considered hard assets? Not sure I should sell hard assets just to have more digital money. :)

I bought an SP2022 from one guy on NES and sold it to another. I might have lost $100 on the deal but made a friend on the front end and hopefully the third owner likes it.

For the most part my handguns are used so I break even on them. I haven't sold any long guns but when I sell the 6920 I will lose money on that.

I sold an MP 9 for less than I had in it. I sold it for more than I paid for the gun itself but I had extra money in the night sights. So maybe down $100.

I bought 4 .25 cal Ravens back 35 years ago. Consecutive serial #'s. Probably should sell them. paid $32 each. Hope I don't lose money on them.[rolleyes]

Nickel Plated S&W M39 for 100 bucks. Going thru divorce, needed cash. Granted it was back in the day but it was still a fire sale price and my most favorite gun I ever owned. (Yes I've owned other 39's in fact I'm packin' one now, as I write this but that was special)

Last edited:
sold 120 of 157 gun collection in 2007. lost atleast $40k in value as was sold all at once to a dealer in TX. kick myself now as ill never replace the original documented m1941 sniper rifles, matching garands and carbines, and other tidbits. but in end least i have my kid as much as I do today :)

100% I've bought some firearms that I discovered I had absolutely no use for. They sat in the safe, every time I took them out I couldn't stand shooting them. In the end, I gave them to relatives who appreciated them more.

I sold a highway patrolman 357 for$180, right after I got my licence and a friend dad passed away... was 99%

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I sold a handgun once. Bought it used, sold it for what I paid, which happened to be exactly what I needed to buy one I wanted more. Still miss it. Don't really regret it, but next time I'll use the cc instead.

Exactly the same story with a 22 rifle.

Back
Top Bottom