What's the difference between the M60 and M240B?

So did I. Was the first boat I very coxswain on. That particular 41 in the background was 41300 @ Manasquan Inlet, my first duty station. Had gold numbers on the Stern.
nice
Such an easy boat to drive.
They were still comparably new at that point, only 15 years old or so.
My department got the old 41377 surplus in 2003.
Been through a couple of repowers but that 45 year old boat is still going strong.

nice
Such an easy boat to drive.
They were still comparably new at that point, only 15 years old or so.
My department got the old 41377 surplus in 2003.
Been through a couple of repowers but that 45 year old boat is still going strong.
I always said if I had the wherewithal I would try and get my hands on one of those hulls, but I'll be hones, I can't stand the ocean anymore.

Anyway, I found this gem

action shot.jpg

They were still issuing BDU's in basic up until 2005/2006. The 2006 recruits were coming out with ACUs. I believe from memory that ACUs started to appear in late 2005 early 2006. And boy, what a mistake that was color wise. jesus christ.

It was nice from the point of view that they didnt need to be ironed. What a complete pain in the ass that was.

Can’t speak for 2005, but early 2006 was UCP-ACUs. Though, CIF in 2006 was still issuing a set of DCUs when you went through, if for some reason your unit authorized it overseas. And yes, what a collosal waste ACUs were.

I always said if I had the wherewithal I would try and get my hands on one of those hulls, but I'll be hones, I can't stand the ocean anymore.

Anyway, I found this gem

View attachment 343438
Cool
is that a mount or just some kind of rest the M60 is in?

Did you hate the Ocean so much that after you got out of Uncles Sams Confused Group, did you put an Oar on your shoulder and walk inland until someone asked you what it was?:)

Last edited:
Cool
is that a mount or just some kind of rest the M60 is in?

Pintle mount.

There are a million ways to fabricate a pedestal that you can pop the pintle into. Mount them on boats, in the backs of trucks, on the roof of a Korean grocery... wherever.

It's "supposed" to go into a tripod with a T&E mechanism attached, but it's easy to simply click them into the pintle and just let it rip.

Great pic, @CoastieRon.

To me the beautiful thing about an free M-60 in a 60's vintage Huey 'C-model' was if you had a hard on for the AC or PP you could fill their the back of their neck with smoking hot brass.....lol

And they were strapped in [rofl]

I've never even touched an M60, nor have a seen an M240L in the wild. The 240 is a great machine gun from a reliability standpoint. It works. And works. And works. It isn't fun to hump around for a while though.

According to SOME guys here, you didn’t even serve if you DID and never saw combat. Some people are just cucks and like watching people have at their wife while they watch and do things to themselves...that’s just life, man.

And just so you don’t feel bad, I did (well didn’t REALLY do) 8 years in the Marine Corps Reserves and never got to shoot a Ma Duce either...it was one of those things where I was too valuable to the company going on all the convoy recovery missions that made me ineligible as a machine gunner (at least in garrison...which is where I always was...because I never saw combat, so was never REALLY a Marine at all).

:/

There are some veterans groups that are full of a**h***s. Most of the a**h***s did 4 years and got out with a stick up there ass, and only now years later can pretend they were a god in the military. It's sad, but it is what it is. There is always someone with a bigger dick except for a small handful of men who have distinguished themselves through time. And you can find plenty of nobodies who knew someone who served with X MOH recipient who will say that person is a piece of shit.

My only complaint is when people pretend they are something or did something they aren't or didn't do. I was a reservist who deployed once and never fired my weapon out of anger nor was I shot at. I know people who did more and less, and people who did more and less and have crazy stories well above and beyond what actually happened. This goes for guys who inflate already crazy truths, and vietnam ERA veterans who slowly turn into "VIETNAM VETERANS" as they drink more.

I dunno that anyone on this forum would care about a non mil/vet posting in this section.

They were still issuing BDU's in basic up until 2005/2006. The 2006 recruits were coming out with ACUs. I believe from memory that ACUs started to appear in late 2005 early 2006. And boy, what a mistake that was color wise. jesus christ.

It was nice from the point of view that they didnt need to be ironed. What a complete pain in the ass that was.
Hey now, I made a good amount of side $$$ ironing BDU's in Basic being the old guy. [laugh]

I started several with artillery simulators, but that's common.

I usually started fires with the smoke grenades or the occasional Arty simulator. I think I fought more fires than fire fights training at Bragg, thank god I wasn't in Nor Cal in the spring/summer.

One more tidbit about the M60. It was too big for the M1950 weapons case. To jump it you needed to separate the barrel from the receiver. Don't forget your lowering line. I still remember a guy who didn't secure it. We all over the Eglin AFB DZ looking for that hog which landed in a mud hole. I'm too old to know about the FN MG.

We were in the same unit, might have been the same MG Co C 1979 -82....The Bde S-3

Nah, I was WAAAY after you. And it was a SAW at Ranger School.

I think someone told me I shouldn’t lower it. Maybe, maybe not, but holy jeez it hurt.

Yes, the MK48s are used and left in theatre. We fell in on them in my 2009 OEF deployment. I guess the Army was asking the Navy to leave them for us, I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom