• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's the definition of High Powered and High Velocity?

Are there actual numbers that define "High Powered" and "High Velocity"? Or are they just subjective terms? I can't seem to find a definitive definition for either.

Just curious. As an engineer I get bent out of shape when people say things like "high temperature applications", give me a number with units dam it! [wink]

As an engineer, high power would imply force, F = m v v ( couldnt find the squared symbol) so this would involve bullet mass and velocity impacting the power or kinetic energy. High velocity is just the speed and doesn't take into account the mass of the projectile. Usually force is newton meters squared for units. Could be any mass and velocity pair.

"high powered" is a sensationalist media term meaning "evil rifle", like there's such a thing as a "low powered" rifle.

"high velocity" usually refers to supersonic .22lr ammo, while "regular velocity" is subsonic.

We had this discussion at my club WRT allowed calibbers for a "high power rifle match"

The compromise that left no one happy ( and, therefore was fair! ) was that it meant "center fire" - no .22 rimfire or 17HMR...there was no other non-subjective criterion that we could identify.

If one were shooting at reactive targets ( steel plates) then you'd want the biggest and fastest to hit the hardest. When punching holes in paper is the aim.....

Leaves plenty of room for future discussion - I couldn't make it, or I'd have brought a 22 K-hornet! [laugh]

I've always thought it was funny that typical (non-CB) subsonic .22's are labeled as such when standard velocity rounds are usually only ~20 fps faster and still well under the subsonic threshold under typical shooting conditions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom