What's the deal with Glock MOS plates?

I've got the 10mm 40 MOS and tried mounting a Tru-Glo optic to the Trijicon RMR plate and it turns out the two round lugs/bosses are measuring .146 in diameter while the pic rail that the TruGlo came with an attaches to measure .152 while the holes in the optic are .153-.154 in diameter.

Something is not right here and I can't tell if it's the Glock plate or the TruGlo optic.

Wasn't sure if this should go into Firearms or Equipment, so I posted it here.

what's the deal with Glock MOS plates? easy answer, they SUCK!!
just go buy yourself a C&H precision plate and throw the Glock plates in the trash.
This, the MOS plates will fail if you shoot a lot or run the gun hard, especially on a 10mm.

what's the deal with Glock MOS plates? easy answer, they SUCK!!
just go buy yourself a C&H precision plate and throw the Glock plates in the trash.
This. C&H Precision Weapons

I’m not familiar with that optic, so I don’t know if the optic is cut wrong or the plate. I will point out that the MOS plates are poorly designed. They are too thin so that the screws only engage a couple turns of the threads, that is not enough to hold the optic securely, and they can fail relatively easily. CHPWS plates fixes this design flaw. I would contact CHPWS and ask them about compatibility with your sight.

I tried to find blueprints for the Trijicon pattern and the only one I've found shows the diameters of the alignment bosses/lugs being 3.9mm, which is .153, so the Glock plates do appear to be undersize out of spec.

Tru-Glo optic to the Trijicon RMR plate
tru-glo is not an rmr pattern, i think. and disregarding of what it is - it sucks even more than mos plates. :)
a cobalt drill bit to the rescue, anyway, just drill the plate as needed.

Mannnnn I just got a G40 that has a red dot on it. Havent even shot it yet but I plan to run the snot out of it. Sad to see that the OEM Glock plates suck.

Mannnnn I just got a G40 that has a red dot on it. Havent even shot it yet but I plan to run the snot out of it. Sad to see that the OEM Glock plates suck.
Not a big deal. Just get a CHPWS plate and install it properly. CHPWS has a good YouTube video showing how to properly install a plate and a red dot.

Not a big deal. Just get a CHPWS plate and install it properly. CHPWS has a good YouTube video showing how to properly install a plate and a red dot.
Is the Glock plate THAT bad? Like, should I replace it from the get-go as to avoid frustration or just see how it pans out and keep that option on the table?

Is the Glock plate THAT bad? Like, should I replace it from the get-go as to avoid frustration or just see how it pans out and keep that option on the table?
If it is just a range toy, then fine. If it is a defensive gun, then I would replace it.

The stock plate is quite thin and only allows a couple threads of the red dot screws to engage the plate. As a result, it can fail under recoil. The CHPWS plate is designed differently -- it has T-nuts that allow for much more engagement of the screws.

If it is just a range toy, then fine. If it is a defensive gun, then I would replace it.

The stock plate is quite thin and only allows a couple threads of the red dot screws to engage the plate. As a result, it can fail under recoil. The CHPWS plate is designed differently -- it has T-nuts that allow for much more engagement of the screws.

Ohhh ok, gotcha. I was thinking if the screws sheared off they'd be stuck in the slide, but it seems the plate is secure to the slide, but the plate itself doesn't have enough meat on it. Well, worse case, it fails and I get a good plate. Given what I now know, I'll just order the better plate and be done with it.

Ohhh ok, gotcha. I was thinking if the screws sheared off they'd be stuck in the slide, but it seems the plate is secure to the slide, but the plate itself doesn't have enough meat on it. Well, worse case, it fails and I get a good plate. Given what I now know, I'll just order the better plate and be done with it.

I think perhaps you are still misunderstanding the issue.

MOS plates have two sets of two screws each. There are two screws that hold the plate to the slide. Those screws are fine. There are two screws that hold the red dot to the plate -- those are the screws that are the issue. Because the MOS plate is thin, only a couple threads hold the red dot screws into the plate. If those screws pull out of the plate, then your red dot falls off.

The CHPWS plate has T-nuts that install below the plate. The two screws that hold the CHPWS plate to the slide also retain the T-nuts. As you can see on the image above, the T-nuts are taller than the plate and thus allow for more screw threads to engage the T-nuts.

I think perhaps you are still misunderstanding the issue.

MOS plates have two sets of two screws each. There are two screws that hold the plate to the slide. Those screws are fine. There are two screws that hold the red dot to the plate -- those are the screws that are the issue. Because the MOS plate is thin, only a couple threads hold the red dot screws into the plate. If those screws pull out of the plate, then your red dot falls off.

The CHPWS plate has T-nuts that install below the plate. The two screws that hold the CHPWS plate to the slide also retain the T-nuts. As you can see on the image above, the T-nuts are taller than the plate and thus allow for more screw threads to engage the T-nuts.

I understood you completely, my wording indicating such was poor.

tru-glo is not an rmr pattern, i think. and disregarding of what it is - it sucks even more than mos plates. :)
a cobalt drill bit to the rescue, anyway, just drill the plate as needed.
TruGlo has several patterns options for their optics, you just have to make sure you order the pattern you want.

Midway has sales on them frequently and I liked the size and performence of the red dot I used last night, so I think I'm gonna get the green dot that has the Doctor cut.

At least they're wise enough to mount them to a pic rail base because if it weren't for that these things would be useless to me.

Back
Top Bottom