whats the deal with Canik

remember when they first hit the market? cheap! the low end one went for ~ $310. i saw 4 seasons selling on once for over 400 and i almost fell off the chair. i thought they started making them with gold embellishments.
I got my first tp9sf for 199. An online dealer was having some clearance sale. I should have bought 2 or 3 at that price but they were gone the next day.

I have thousands of rounds thru that gun without a hiccup

then one would have to depress the mag release for the mag to avoid locking into the higher. (i.e. first) mag notch. Aside from being a PITA this can result in overinsertion and damage to ejector. Further the vertical position of a magazine is paramount to proper feeding and ejection. It may work fine but one would have to be nuts to trust such a setup for defensive use.

having lived in MA for a decade it was obvious the easiest way to get around the crap mag restrictions is just to go up in chambering to a 40 or 45 such that one isn’t really losing much WRT capacity. Hodge podging mags to accommodate 9mm was never an ok path in my world. yours may be different.
Not to worry about the higher notch if you start with a European cut 92 Mag. The original notchis at the bottom. Prebans are $25, great shape and ready for the dremel. If anyone wants the link PM me.

I loved my Caniks, they shoot fantastic, I grabbed 4 when they were $250ish. The TP9SF is a true SHTF gun. But, I'm so invested in Glocks, though, so I sold off all my TP9SFs. I just found a 10 rounder in the safe. who needs one? $20

I got an email from Aim Surplus last year and they had some for about $350.
Knowing I can find things much cheaper, I found one on Gunbroker. Best $250 I could have spent. Brand new in the case with 2 18rd mags, second back strap, holster and cleaning brush. I got the TP9SF in Jan 2020.

RC

was working at the sugar house today, I drove. on the way home wife was checking another forum/club we are on. she never checks

K: are you XXXXXX
A: ya, f*** tom. they changed my screen name
K: hey, I didn't know Pat placed an order for syrup
A: I'm driving
K: hey, whats a Caanikk.
A: wait what
K: what is a caannikk
A: what
K: did you buy another gun
A;what
K: DID YOU BUY ANOTHER GUN
A: f*** you cop, I don't answer question
k: scroll, scroll..................... says here it showed up a few days ago
A: do you see how fast these people are driving
A: they should slow down its crazy how fast people drive. where are the police when you need them, did your sister call, you should call your sister. do we need milk. i might stop for gas I only have 3/4 tank.........................................................

I loved my Caniks, they shoot fantastic, I grabbed 4 when they were $250ish. The TP9SF is a true SHTF gun. But, I'm so invested in Glocks, though, so I sold off all my TP9SFs. I just found a 10 rounder in the safe. who needs one? $20
So I checked my 2nd safe, found out why I had an extra 10 rounder-I have a Canik (had) TP9SF stashed there, NIB. Consigned it Friday.

Thread revive! I'm hopping on the Canik bandwagon this weekend if all goes according to plan and I'm pretty stoked about it. I've got some Night Fision sights coming from Optics Planet and I'm wondering if anyone has installed them before and if it can be done without too much trouble or if you guys would recommend going to a gunsmith for the job. The only night sights I've done were a Big Dot in my LCR 38 spl., and it was relatively simple.

Still very happy with this gun put another 150 rounds on it today. Wife is starting to shoot it more as well.

I suck at shooting but at 10 yards I can keep 10 rounds within a 3" group and that should be just fine for anything uninvited that happens to need holes in it.

About four yrs ago I picked up a first-gen TP9SA for less than $400 (including the transfer fee) ... it runs dry, it runs wet. It runs clean, it runs dirty. The damned thing is a fork .. pick it up and it just works. All the time. I've made this my bedside gun. I've also got a bunch of extra 18-round mags as insurance for when IL gets around to banning their sale state-wide. As an aside, some home-rule cities have already banned certain mags, 'assault-style' weapons, etc., but I digress.

I did have one failure -- cheap aluminum cased ammo .. spent case got stuck in the chamber. Disassembled the gun, tapped out the spent case, buttoned it back up, and VOILA ... back in business and I haven't looked back. Since then the gun has only been given a diet of brass-cased fodder.
(post updated 10/24/2021 approx 8.45am)

Last edited:
The only reason to not buy a Canik is if you're Armenian, and if you hate a good deal.

I absolutely love my Canik's, I've got approximately 28K rounds through my Canik TP9SFL, and about 2K through my Canik TP9SFX.

They're a quality handgun at a great price, with great quality Mec-gar manufactured magazines, and if you don't skin-flint for the "One Series," which is still a good deal in my opinion, you get a handy OWB range holster and an extra magazine.

They have a budding after market, with parts from Taylor Freelance, Freedomsmith Triggers, W28 guide rods, and they are also compatible with some glock aftermarket parts like the rear sight, striker spring, striker safety plunger spring, NDZ recoil spring assemblies. The front sight can be replaced with an aftermarket M&P sight. If you're in a ban state, you can modify a preban Beretta 92 magazine to function.

I honestly can not speak highly enough or recommend enough of the Canik TP9 striker fired line up.
I found out Sig 226 mags also work in the Caniks. I've read Taurus TP92 do as well but haven't tried them.

Back
Top Bottom