• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's the consensus on Mosin M91/30 worth today?

Hardwired

NES Member
BassPro's Cabelas have them from $250 to 399.

The condition of the $250 one looked close to this sweaty Ben classic hand select that was 300.

View: https://m.imgur.com/a/EpfHvUZ

I have one listed for 250 nes green price with bayo, some surplus ammo, and the original box but absolutely no interest. Made just prior to ww2 so would have gone thru the entire conflict.

The condition of the $250 one looked close to this sweaty Ben classic hand select that was 300.

I have one listed for 250 nes green price with bayo, some surplus ammo, and the original box but absolutely no interest. Made just prior to ww2 so would have gone thru the entire conflict.

I think a lot of people still have it in their head that its a $99 rifle. What have they been going for on Gunbroker lately?

I've never been the slightest I teresint in Mosins. No idea why, they just never appeal to me.
The only milsurp I have a hankering for is an M38 Swedish Mauser. Now if you have a nice one of those for the right money let me know.

I have seen them in a couple of local gun stores for $280ish. $250 is a fair price in my opinion.
I still have a sealed tin of 440 rounds. That is why I have kept my 3 mosins.
I live the Finnish M39.
This. I'll pay a bit more for a Finnish model because they are just outright better guns. but 250-300$ is what seems fair for a pretty good example Russian. Some people seem to think they are worth 400-500$ they are on crack. And the 100$ crowd hasn't gotten with the times either.
Edit: The issue isn"t the price of the rifle. It's just that there are so many of them they are hard to sell.

The problem is not the value of the rifle but people where buying them because you could buy 440 rounds for $75
Even when the mosin crept up in price from $60-90 to $120-$150 the ammo was still stupid cheap right up to the ammo shortage. Once sub .25 cent ammo dried up it was no longer a shooters choice in range blasting fun.
Now unless you have something interesting you can buy a $200-300 savage and .50 cent ammo that runs rings around the mosin
Same thing back in the 80s- early 90s Russian/Chinese SKS and China AKs where cheapest rifle with cheapest ammo
Ex I bought my Russian SKS in 1990 for $89 and it came with 1770 rounds of ammo for free

I've never been the slightest I teresint in Mosins. No idea why, they just never appeal to me.
The only milsurp I have a hankerings for is an M38 Swedish Mauser. Now if you have a nice one of those for the right money let me know.
Swede is on my list also
So is selling my mosin 91 and 44 . I sold off all the ammo and gave the few stragglers away.
I tried but fail to really get the erge to shoot my mosin. I might run it in one more CMP match if the CMP does not find a way to make it illegal!

Last edited:
It's a crappy time of year for disposable income. I don't think your price is at all out of line, sounds like a good deal. ($300-350 seems to be the going price in local shops, and they are moving them.)

I got mine in trade, and never really liked it. It’s an excellent rifle, sort of rare as Mosins go (B barrel, the Belgian one), but it’s never been something I’m into.

I figure I’ll keep it as trade bait for a tank of gas once SHTF.

The problem is not the value of the rifle but people where buying them because you could buy 440 rounds for $75

IMHO a lot of it is because less people were importing them, as opposed to say, like 15 years ago... and they started to slow to a trickle during Obamascare I/II even, and then I think the distributors got the bright idea to play a little "silent market collusion" and start fluffing the prices up on subsequent batches that came in, figuring they'd prey on some fears, etc. So they tweak it to wholesale of $100+ ea after the "drought" and people sucked for it, and that's all she wrote. They went from $90-$120 gun store trash can specials, to being $200+ in like under a year, if I remember correctly. Then instead of people letting that "new" stuff rot in the shops, they doubled down and effectively made the sticky price, well, stick. The wholesalers gambling likely paid off for them handsomely. So now the market "accepts" the "new price" of the mosin. Same thing happened to the SKS, too years before that.

-Mike

IMHO a lot of it is because less people were importing them, as opposed to say, like 15 years ago... and they started to slow to a trickle during Obamascare I/II even, and then I think the distributors got the bright idea to play a little "silent market collusion" and start fluffing the prices up on subsequent batches that came in, figuring they'd prey on some fears, etc. So they tweak it to wholesale of $100+ ea after the "drought" and people sucked for it, and that's all she wrote. They went from $90-$120 gun store trash can specials, to being $200+ in like under a year, if I remember correctly. Then instead of people letting that "new" stuff rot in the shops, they doubled down and effectively made the sticky price, well, stick. The wholesalers gambling likely paid off for them handsomely. So now the market "accepts" the "new price" of the mosin. Same thing happened to the SKS, too years before that.

-Mike

I remember that.
I don't see the crates of Mosins and cheap spam cans anymore. I think we're seeing the last of the imports and some of these are in pretty bad shape, pitted and refinished over.

For a run of the mill 91/30 I'd expect a price around $265-$280 if in good condition. Finns will always command a good deal more, M44 and M38 will command more, etc.

Some day an M44 would be nice, and I'd like an Imperial (pre-Soviet) hex receiver some day as well, but no impetus to get one right now.

I still enjoy shooting the mosins but the surplus ammo seems to have dried up. If I have to spend .40 a round I will buy .308 instead.
My standard 91/30 will probably go soon but my M39 and M44 will stay.
I know of one vendor who’s got a ton of surplus 54r but they want like 44 cents per round shipped. They sell new steel cased non-corrosive ammo for 45 cents....makes 0 sense to buy the surplus at that price.

I know of one vendor who’s got a ton of surplus 54r but they want like 44 cents per round shipped. They sell new steel cased non-corrosive ammo for 45 cents....makes 0 sense to buy the surplus at that price.
Or reload brass for 36 cents...

Not bad. At some point I’ll reload x54r but I haven’t shot my M44 in years.
x54R was my first caliber for reloading, and the first centerfire rifle I owned.
The 36 cents is using .312, if you went .308 you could probably go a little cheaper.
I used to use the corrosive for Monadnock shoots; you could shoot a ton (made the post-corrosive clean worth it), accuracy didn't really matter, no need to worry about brass collecting. I have maybe 250-300 corrosive left, just sitting in an ammo can. It had been sitting in Soviet storage since probably the 70s or 80s, what's a couple more decades...

What is a Mosin worth? Well on Friday, this one went for just under $6,000...
WWII FINN M39 MOSIN NAGANT RIFLE-EXCELLENT-MATCHIN - Curios & Relics at GunBroker.com : 798474039

Otay Sparky. Shill bidding or what. Someone got em a big fish.

I think I may have an old steisel or "commongood" BS wordsmithed special from a previous buyer but it was legit and not unreasonable like most of what he peddles goes for.
This one, apparently, really is worth the money as it's exceedingly rare and desirable. There was a thread on another forum, the gentleman that won it is a noted and well-respected collector of Finnish items.

The OP started the thread with something like "I bet he meant to do 575.00 and not 5750.00!"

Not bad. At some point I’ll reload x54r but I haven’t shot my M44 in years.

I always bring the M44 with the pointy thing that goes up to initiate newbies to milsurp with the customary shoulder bruise tattoo after firing this boomstick.

m44-kablooie.jpg

I sold four of them for 220 each to a dealer. He sold them all at a good profit in a week. Its surprising what people will pay in a store as compared to you and me was into most of them for $95 -$115 so I didn’t need to get every penny. It was also easier than 4nes transactions and the obligatory, will you take $50 off?

It’s just not my favorite rifle. I would rather have one nice Mauser than 4 Morin’s

I sold four of them for 220 each to a dealer. He sold them all at a good profit in a week. Its surprising what people will pay in a store as compared to you and me was into most of them for $95 -$115 so I didn’t need to get every penny. It was also easier than 4nes transactions and the obligatory, will you take $50 off?

It’s just not my favorite rifle. I would rather have one nice Mauser than 4 Morin’s
Thats a generous dealer,
A recent FFL story
i happen to go buy s dealer on a visit to a Dr. i stopped in just to check things. Had some variety.
One Garand just under $1500. Nothing special mid production SA mix master high end field grade at best.
FFL " thats a great rifle owner needs to move it so its price $300 less than he wanted"
ME: meh , i got a few already .........
The I see a few vintage 22 target rifles priced good, shocked really. i ask whats up with these.
FFL " owner has like 50 target rifles he just wants them gone"

ME: do you get garands in or other US service rifles in often
FFL: " oh yeah old shooters are dumping them to pay for hips an knees, they dont last but a week or so"
ME: you take trades
FFL"yup , would not be in business if I did not. "
ME: ok the three target rifles there....they are total ticket price $1700. i will trade you a M1 garand in much better shape than that one same serial range, a mosin M44 and a 91/30
For the 3 target rifles one of which only value is the sights.

FFL "yeah you know, those old surplus rifles just dont sell fast enough"
ME: laugh and just say, ok will you give me $900 cash for my M1? FFL, nope I dont buy garands consignment only.

Back
Top Bottom