• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's the best bang-for-the-buck in reloading? [ambien fueled question]

"well whats your time worth?"

This was a factor when I was looking at getting starting in reloading at all. Now that I have decided to, the cost of shooting now includes the reloading time (which is offset (maybe) by the "fun of reloading"), so the difference between things is mostly the reloading time itself, compared to how much I shoot. So, the time/round (tpr) is the calculation there.

For instance, I don't immediately think the tpr of reloading precision 223 would be dramatically different than reloading precision 6.5 or 338 (although I'm willing to be schooled here since I haven't done precision work, I'm just getting the stuff together to do that now) on the rockchucker I'm using (hithertofore just a bit for just non-precision stuff as I get used to it). Non-"precision" rounds for 3gun or otherwise screwing around would be obviously faster on the progressive I'm planning to add (see below).

Similarly, the tpr for shotgun loadings with my (new) Lee all-in-one seem equivalent to another, although the bang-for-buck calculation for those isn't compelling for me at this point, but I'm presently just doing it for the novelty and 3gun, as all that stuff was cheap enough to just buy and because there's a place on the bench for it.

Amongst the practical handgun competition loads I use (presently 9, 40, 45), the tpr would seem to be the same, notably faster than anything on a single stage on the progressive I am planning. Since those are what I shoot the overwhelming bulk of, I'm hoping the time expense (in terms of (cost)+(time*myhobbyrate)/round) will pay it off, and I made a big spreadsheet that calculated it should.
I suppose if I were to get into target pistol shooting, those rounds it might cross back towards the precision tpr, but that's not high on my personal list.

Like mac said, it does give you more options; for pistol I can save about 18 cents per round of 9mm Makarov. After about 250 rounds I've paid the dies off. It also provides these benefits:
- I'm not as beholden to availability; if I can find the projectiles, I'm safe. I can convert 9x19 brass if needed, small pistol primers are plentiful, powder is available. I only know one store near me that has it in stock somewhat regularly, and it ain't cheap.
- I can load it "light" - 9x18 in the Mak from the factory can be slightly snappy; I can load down if I want for just casual practice/enjoyment

I don't consider myself as having "saved" by reloading per se, but I do get to go to the range probably 2x or 3x as often for the same net cost. PPU M1 30-06 runs 65 cents each; when you can reload for roughly half, you can do two trips instead of one for the same price. It grants a degree of invulnerability to panics/import issues, though not entirely as components can dry up. For certain stuff, I believe, PPU only imports once a year, and when it's gone, it's gone. As long as I can scrounge up components, I can keep shooting.

Before Targetsports, the shops near me wanted $1/round for 303 British. I can reload a box of 20 for about $7.50, so I very quickly "saved" a lot--but it was actualized in the form of shooting my Lee-Enfield a lot more than I would have otherwise been able to.

As others have said, reloading costs are not fixed. You'll need case lube, media for tumbling, etc. I factor all those into my costs. On top of that there's lots of doodads I'd like--I weight every charge by hand, and I'd like a dispenser to speed that up. I've also been adding neck dies for my bolt gun cals to make it a little easier both in terms of energy and brass strain. Basically, I keep trying to analyze my biggest pain points/least enjoyable phases/largest time investment to improve my efficiency. It's cost-benefit analysis too. I know there's some really great high end equipment out there but I don't load in the volumes to justify that.
If I could afford $7000+ a year to buy ammo I doubt i would reload other than to load for accuracy.
On that thought, if your shooting 7k plus in ammo and not getting better maybe its time to buy less ammo and make every shot count.!
personally I would consider taking $5k of that ammo budget and set up a nice reloading room. man what i can do with 5k
i stopped shooting(spending money altogether) for 10months just to save the $1000 i use to set up my reloading needs.
i knew 10 years ago my pay is not going to get much better and I wont be able to afford shooting if i did not do something then. Right now I only need to buy some powder every 12-15 months . Bullets are stacked deep as are primers. If it gets real bad i have bullet molds for the guns i shoot most often.

For the precision stuff, its usually the cost of additional equipment and time.
Concentric gauges, micrometers, run out gauge for cases, powder trickles, etc,these guys that I've seen get real ritualistic about each round loaded.

The "whats your time worth" argument is something I used to see a lot when person B is trying to upstage person A.
It was always something petty, like they were trying to justify that they were some kind of fiscal guru.
Saw it most with the old casting fudds, and then it would de-rail pretty quick.
Never saw it on this website.
It went something like this.

Person A- I'm reloading cartridge X for 9 cents a round using Brand A powdercoated lead!

Person B- Well I'm reloading that same cartridge for 6 cents a round casting and powder coating my own lead.

Person A- Well I can just order these online and load them, so it cuts time down, so when you came to that 6 cents did you figure whats your time is worth?

Person B- Well I'm retired, so I have plenty of time.

Person A- Well how long did it take you to melt down all that scrap lead, and how much electricity did you use, and did you wear gloves and do it in a ventilated space, and how much did it cost to run your exhaust fan, and how much did you spend on powdercoat, and how much did you spend on electricity for the oven, and blah blah blah I'm trying to pick your process apart

Person B- Time is not a cost, but a construct when you enjoy it!I just came back from a 2 week prospecting trip from the local range that allows me to mine the berms for "casters gold", or lead as you common folk call it. Packed up the buckets, the mule , pick axe and a sifter, and camped out many a night in wild, uncharted territory, surrounded by coyotes and squirrels , with my 3 legged dog and trusty schofield as companions. I then hauled my buried treasure back to the homestead, where I smelted my recovered booty outside on a campfire, with an old cast iron pan that harkens back from the 1800's, playing the fiddle while said fire did roar! I only ladle pour!
I spent the better part of a fortnite before the blaze and my trusty ladle wearing chaps and an old-timey smithy apron, using only a single cavity mold, all while the wolves and woodchuck did prowl the night.
Avast me hardy's, then did I powder coat, using an old toaster oven that I drove 75 miles for because it was 2 dollars less than what was offered down the street. I then spent 86 dollars upgrading it. Scouring the internet for days, searching for powder that was 2 cents per pound less than any other, but double the shipping! As the powder did bake, and the lead did cure, I played classical music to my cast lead BOOLITS, because the soothing music makes it fly straighter. And I only load on a 60 yr old single stage press!
And that, you insolent welp, is how I arrived at 6 cents a round, and if your process isn't the same as mine, you're doing it wrong!

Person C- I don't load Cartridge X, but my 45-70 likes this load formula.

Man, I crack myself up.

So I guess realistically speaking,for your specific question, you'll save on whatever, but you won't at the same time. Know what I mean?
I don't hate reloading, its more of a necessary evil for me, because theres a lot of other things I'd rather be doing, but it does cut cost down.
You'll spend more on precision rifle trying to obtain a specific goal, but its still less than factory, and who really cares in the end.
Its your money, your doing the grunt work, anyone who tells you you're wrong can go pound sand.

Now I don't load for 6.5, but my .38 special likes this load for steel challenge..........

For the precision stuff, its usually the cost of additional equipment and time.
Concentric gauges, micrometers, run out gauge for cases, powder trickles, etc,these guys that I've seen get real ritualistic about each round loaded.

The "whats your time worth" argument is something I used to see a lot when person B is trying to upstage person A.
It was always something petty, like they were trying to justify that they were some kind of fiscal guru.
Saw it most with the old casting fudds, and then it would de-rail pretty quick.
Never saw it on this website.
It went something like this.

Person A- I'm reloading cartridge X for 9 cents a round using Brand A powdercoated lead!

Person B- Well I'm reloading that same cartridge for 6 cents a round casting and powder coating my own lead.

Person A- Well I can just order these online and load them, so it cuts time down, so when you came to that 6 cents did you figure whats your time is worth?

Person B- Well I'm retired, so I have plenty of time.

Person A- Well how long did it take you to melt down all that scrap lead, and how much electricity did you use, and did you wear gloves and do it in a ventilated space, and how much did it cost to run your exhaust fan, and how much did you spend on powdercoat, and how much did you spend on electricity for the oven, and blah blah blah I'm trying to pick your process apart

Person B- Time is not a cost, but a construct when you enjoy it!I just came back from a 2 week prospecting trip from the local range that allows me to mine the berms for "casters gold", or lead as you common folk call it. Packed up the buckets, the mule , pick axe and a sifter, and camped out many a night in wild, uncharted territory, surrounded by coyotes and squirrels , with my 3 legged dog and trusty schofield as companions. I then hauled my buried treasure back to the homestead, where I smelted my recovered booty outside on a campfire, with an old cast iron pan that harkens back from the 1800's, playing the fiddle while said fire did roar! I only ladle pour!
I spent the better part of a fortnite before the blaze and my trusty ladle wearing chaps and an old-timey smithy apron, using only a single cavity mold, all while the wolves and woodchuck did prowl the night.
Avast me hardy's, then did I powder coat, using an old toaster oven that I drove 75 miles for because it was 2 dollars less than what was offered down the street. I then spent 86 dollars upgrading it. Scouring the internet for days, searching for powder that was 2 cents per pound less than any other, but double the shipping! As the powder did bake, and the lead did cure, I played classical music to my cast lead BOOLITS, because the soothing music makes it fly straighter. And I only load on a 60 yr old single stage press!
And that, you insolent welp, is how I arrived at 6 cents a round, and if your process isn't the same as mine, you're doing it wrong!

Person C- I don't load Cartridge X, but my 45-70 likes this load formula.

Man, I crack myself up.

So I guess realistically speaking,for your specific question, you'll save on whatever, but you won't at the same time. Know what I mean?
I don't hate reloading, its more of a necessary evil for me, because theres a lot of other things I'd rather be doing, but it does cut cost down.
You'll spend more on precision rifle trying to obtain a specific goal, but its still less than factory, and who really cares in the end.
Its your money, your doing the grunt work, anyone who tells you you're wrong can go pound sand.

Now I don't load for 6.5, but my .38 special likes this load for steel challenge..........
[rofl]

I like the 22-250 a lot, so for me it seems like an AR in 22-250 which would be kind of cool.
I have done very little research into it but the premise is interesting and I bet you could save a ton reloading it.

The 22-250 is a barrel burner unless you give it some time to cool between shots.

I bet you could burn out the throat with just a few mag dumps.

All I can say is loading those tiny ass bullets into those tiny cases will be.....fun.....

Loading 22 cal bullets in .223 is bad enough lol. Unless you have really small hands/fingers - I don’t.

That's one of the reasons I like my hornady die set, as the seating die has the bullet alignment collet. It helps with those tiny bullets.

30-40 Krag hands down. Good luck finding it for sale anywhere and when you do, you'll pay $1.50-$2/round

You can reload it for less than 30-06 since it uses less powder but the same bullets

I bought my rcbs press in the late 70's, so I no longer worry about getting my money back. I reload for the .375 Winchester and will probably the.35 Remington
I did just buy some .375 but at $60.00 for 20 I'm going back to reloading.

Back
Top Bottom