• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What's in Your Range Bag?

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
On another forum a member asked the question, "What's in your range bag?". I am curious what NES members' answers would be.

I have a Michaels range bag which contains tape, patching tape, some small tools for quick repair and cleaning, a Swiss Army-type knife, an expanded first aid kit, shooting gloves, spare foam ear protectors, and a smaller bag inside which contains a Walther P22, ammo, and various cleaning accessories and tools also. Pretty much everything I'd need to support a typical day at the range.

The foam ear protectors became a staple after I was at the range one day and a guy had his kids there with NO ear protection.

Range bag? What's that?

Sounds like a good idea though. I just pack everything into my locked toolbox so it's just ammo (.22, 9mm, .38sp and the odd round of .357 or .223 if I'm going nutty) guns, targets, ear plugs, ear muffs (I wear them both together) stapler, mag loader and lotion.

Lotion is the most imporant part because the soap at the range might as well be pure acid for how flaky my hands get...

I keep boresnakes in different calibers, as you, several pairs of foam ear protection. Safety glasses, small First aid kit, some cleaning supplies, batteries for my electronic hearing, rags and towels, usually some cleaning supplies, misc ammo and magazines depending on what I'm shooting. Electrical and duct tape, staple gun...

I think that that's about it.

Range Bag

I'm adding some of the purple medical gloves just in case there is anm accident (shooting or otherwise) in which first aid will require direct pressure on a would to stop bleeding.

I've never seen such an accident at a range, however, the gloves are light enough.

A CPR mask wouldn't be a bad idea as well.

SiameseRat,

Range bag? What's that?

Assuming you were being serious, a range bag is whatever bag you use to keep shooting supplies in and take to the range. You can keep the basic items you need to be able to shoot, clean guns, make/repair targets, do minor (or not-so-minor) maintenance on your guns on the range, and respond to medical problems. Kinda saves time packing for the range if you have it all together ahead of time.

Hmm...multiple eyes and ears, three types of ammo, flashlight, targets, duck tape, cleaning kit, orange glow dots....I think that's all unless something sneeked it's way in there.

Oh lord... Hang on a sec while I go get it...

OK...

Rear pocket.

Electronic Muffs
Batteries for Electronic muffs - AAAx8
Tinted S&W magnum safety glasses
Remington safety glasses in yellow
Custom ear plugs
4 sets of disposable ear plugs

Front pocket

4 Wilson 8 round 1911 mags
4 Sig 239 mags
1 10 round Chip McCormick 1911 Mag
1 8 round CM 1911 mag
2 screwdrivers (philips and slotted)
Pocket knife
LARGE Pill bottle with all my A-Zoom dummy rounds
Multi tool with hex and other drive bits.

Large Side pocket-left

Remains of 100 pack of 50' Slowfire targets
25 yard slowfire targets
8 large Shoot-n-See stick-on sheets

Large Side pocket - right

Remains of 100 pack of rapid/timed fire 50 foot targets
Small shoot-n-see targets (assorted)
"Barney" novelty target
100 yard sight-in target grids
.22 scoring plug (was wondering where that went)

Main compartment

.40 S&W 150 rounds
.45 ACP 100 rounds
.500 S&W Magnum 37 rounds
Field cleaning kit
Spotting scope
Spotting scope stand
Lead rated dust mask for sweeping indoor range.
Personal first Aid kit

And a bunch of dust, organic plant matter, and sand. (OK, I plan on cleaning that out before I repack the bag)

Ammo .22 and 9mm (for now)
Staple gun for targets on rifle range
Spare staples
Plugs
Eyes (2 sets)
Shoot n' see targets (LOVE THEM)
Multi tool
Magazine for 9mm
Pen/marker

Range bag is an army suprplus shooter/mag bag, black.

Right now mine contains a towel which is wrapped around my S&W Model 27 revolver, a roll of paper towels, a stapler and staples, a roll of duct tape, three pairs of amber shooting glasses, four sets of ear muffs (two electronic), a bunch of foam earplugs, three mags for my Sig 226, two mags for my Walther P22, a box of CCI mini mags, a box of Remington .22 HVs, a box of Blazer .357 mag, two boxes of Federal .38 special wadcutters, a box of Speer Lawman 9mm, my Walther P22, the little allen wrench I used today to adjust the laser for my P22 and a ziplock freezer bag with a bunch of brass. I'm pretty psyched because today I found a 15-round mag for my Sig 226 in there that I thought I had left at the range back in June. :)

2 pairs of eye protection, one with interchangablne smoke/amber lenses
hearing muffs
ear plugs
cleaning kit
cleaning chems / supplies
gun grease
targets
snapcaps
a towel
ruger mk3 hunter
ammo
tape
gun lock

FPrice said:
SiameseRat,

Range bag? What's that?

Assuming you were being serious, a range bag is whatever bag you use to keep shooting supplies in and take to the range.

Thanks Frosty!

I wasn't being serious though.( I rarely am)

More just saying that I'm not organized enough to have a separate bag, I just toss it all in my gunbox. Is that bad?

Lynne said:
Good heavens man! and you actually CARRY that??

You've never met Chris, have you? He's built sort of on the lines of a fireplug... :D Definitely on the stocky side. Although now I understand why his pickup is a larger than "standard" one with a V10 engine. :D

Lynne said:
Good heavens man! and you actually CARRY that??

[shock]

What's sad is that a bunch of things I also usually have are not in it right now.

Staples and stalple gun are in the unfinished room for insulation tacking. Timer is in it's own case. Bag of various locks I use for class are with someone else as I'll be missing the next class. Some of the IDPA supplies are also on loan.

I'm actually rather empty right now.

And I don't carry it much. I tend to leave the bag in the truck and carry the important stuff to the line. (^_^)

When I go to teach class, I pull the ammo out and add a 3-ring of class notes and Glidden's book. And on those days, I'll have the range bag across my back, a gun case in each hand, and a third case tucked under one arm.

Whatever doesn't fit in that setup, I don't need. (^_^)

I should just pull out the spotting scope as I don't do much rifle anymore and I can almost always see the holes at pistol ranges. (Last time I was checked, my vision was between 20/15 and 20/10 which I guess is amazing for a diabetic.)

Ross, I've met and had great talks with all three, Lynne D, Lynne R, and Lyn B are all great people. I just have a really hard time when hearing the first name remembering which one is which. (^_^) I think I've asked our Lynne (Lynne D I do believe) about the Second Amendment Sisters which is actually run by Lynne R. And I did a huge goof once asking Lyn B how Ed was doing. (^_^) I think I've got them all figured out now, but who knows. I'm sure I'll soon meet another person with a similar name and get them all screwed up again. (^_^)

Maybe it's the weight of my range bag that is restricting bloodflow to my brain.... (^_^)

On the other hand, I'm really happy to remember names. Really sucks to have to revert to "Hey You" when talking to someone you've been shooting with for several seasons now. (^_^)

In addition to much of the stuff other people already said... I have speed loader, range passes, and lava soap in my bag.

FPrice said:
On another forum a member asked the question, "What's in your range bag?". I am curious what NES members' answers would be.

I have a Michaels range bag which contains tape, patching tape, some small tools for quick repair and cleaning, a Swiss Army-type knife, an expanded first aid kit, shooting gloves, spare foam ear protectors, and a smaller bag inside which contains a Walther P22, ammo, and various cleaning accessories and tools also. Pretty much everything I'd need to support a typical day at the range.

The foam ear protectors became a staple after I was at the range one day and a guy had his kids there with NO ear protection.

Chris said:
Ross, I've met and had great talks with all three, Lynne D, Lynne R, and Lyn B are all great people. I just have a really hard time when hearing the first name remembering which one is which. (^_^) I think I've asked our Lynne (Lynne D I do believe) about the Second Amendment Sisters which is actually run by Lynne R. And I did a huge goof once asking Lyn B how Ed was doing. (^_^) I think I've got them all figured out now, but who knows. I'm sure I'll soon meet another person with a similar name and get them all screwed up again. (^_^)

Just to set your mind at ease Chris - yes, it's Lynne D, and Ed's fine thanks. [lol] [lol] [wink]

Bag 1, Model 27-3 wrapped in a towel [just got 3 new pistol rugs], 1911 S&W, Model 66-5 4 inch, Sig Sauer P220, 657 ported 4 inch SS, cleaning tools, needle nose pliers

Bag 2, 500 rounds of .45's, 300 rounds of 38's,200 rounds of 357, 300 rounds of different of .41 mags. 2 pairs of muffs, 2 shooting glasses, targets, and a lot of other junk.

Now in my trunk I have 2 cases of clay birds, a case of 12 gauge bird loads and more pistol targets.

Re: Range Bag

Rob Boudrie said:
I'm adding some of the purple medical gloves just in case there is an accident (shooting or otherwise) in which first aid will require direct pressure on a would to stop bleeding.

I've never seen such an accident at a range, however, the gloves are light enough.

A CPR mask wouldn't be a bad idea as well.

I've seen a bullet fragment come back and hit someone several times, once requiring direct pressure. I also use the gloves for cleaning, keeps the cleaning fluid / lead / whatever off my hands and makes cleanup faster and easier.

Of course I wander around with a complete medical jump bag and and O2 tank in my backseat (local ambulance service)

Back
Top Bottom